Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 04:59 PM

552 posts, read 592,129 times

Advertisements

But Miami cannot compete with Raleigh in terms of quality of life, REAL diversity, and education.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2009, 06:24 PM

204 posts, read 635,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scientifical Madness View Post
I think Florida is doing great in the economic downturn when compared to others

^^^ You live here?
Yes!

Old 06-14-2009, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
nice post , as education, when it was seeming to start to shoot for par, gets slashed allover the state....

I'll restate what I said in my original post since apparently you misunderstood me based on your response.

K-12 education in this state was a disaster before the economic meltdown. Therefore the low quality of education in this state may not be due to financial reasons. However slashing the education is likely not going to make the problem better. Education should have been immune to any discussions on budget cuts. Entire departments in this state should have been eliminated before a vital service such as education be cut. Apparently our legislatures due to value education which is regrettable.

Having said that, I'm not convinced that throwing more money at K-12 education would solve the problems facing it, such as low graduation rates and unsafe schools.

Yet I specifically stated in my original post that if it were proven that increases in education funding would equate to a better education, then I would strongly support a large increase in the sales tax so education could have a specific source of funding. Teachers and school boards have proposed this option.

What I would be strongly against would be changing the Constitution of the state and instituting an income tax. Yet, some people seem to be pushing hard for that option. Tax consumption, not hard work!!

Old 06-14-2009, 06:46 PM

We may be ground zero for the housing market meltdown (well south Florida, not north Florida), but if you want to see a place really hit hard by this recession look at Michigan. We are no where near Michigan's economic decline, and we are fairing a lot better than a lot of other states whether you want to admit it or not.

The Geography of a Recession - Interactive Graphic - NYTimes.com

Old 06-14-2009, 08:38 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,496,781 times
I'm referring to university cuts. ya know...blowing the whole lottery fund/bright futures... entire dept cuts at tier 1 research universities... massive layoffs...enrollment caps...

As for other stuff... I know it has not been good for years... I went to a seperate gifted only pod school K-8 but I know that program is now only pieces of what it once was due to funding. Kind of sad actually. In h.s. I only had 1 class out of 8 slots available to take as a senior in FL because I had already maxed out all the gifted and AP courses that were available.
I know schools in other states offer stuff like philosophy/economics/political science...etc... not here (as far as I know)

Last edited by grapico; 06-14-2009 at 08:51 PM..

Old 06-14-2009, 08:53 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,892,322 times
Quote:
But Miami cannot compete with Raleigh in terms of quality of life, REAL diversity, and education.
You would make a great attorney, but this thread is about the economy.

Old 06-14-2009, 08:56 PM

I know it's about the economy, I threw that one out there b/c I knew you'd bite, lol.

Old 07-14-2009, 02:05 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,923,687 times
Quote:
Umm... PSL? Ft Myers?

I didnt say the state of NC or the state of SC, I said Greenville and Raleigh are good places to weather the downturn... Greenville is a far cry from the problems SC (the state has). SC has poverty problems, crime problems, and education problems, all pretty much stemming from the high amount of AA's (lets be honest) in the low-lying areas of SC and in the middle of the state. Greenville is much more like a Raleigh or smaller version of Seattle than "typical" SC. I dont really like SC other than Charleston and that area, and the Upstate (Greenville). But Miami cannot compete with Raleigh in terms of quality of life, REAL diversity, and education.

Forbes says Greenville SC - an Affordable Place To Weather Downturn .
Tale of Two Main Streets: One Community Struggles, Another Holds Its Own - ABC News

The others holding steady or improving include Austin, Texas; Houston; Charlotte, N.C.; Dallas; San Jose, Calif.; Raleigh, N.C.; Salt Lake City; and Seattle
America's Recession-Proof Cities - Forbes.com

Raleigh's unemployment rate is 8.3%; Greenville's is 9.6%, and the national average is 9.4% I believe. Not too bad.
REAL diversity? Raleigh seemed just as black and white to me, just as much as Miami felt Cuban.

Old 07-14-2009, 02:27 PM

Blacks and whites are more diverse than just Cubans, right?

Old 07-14-2009, 04:01 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,892,322 times
Quote:
Blacks and whites are more diverse than just Cubans, right?
Miami is maybe 30% Cuban vs Raleigh being almost 80% black and white. You do the math. And for the record, yes there are different types of whites and blacks in Miami too not just different types of "Hispanics". Amongst the white population there are Jews, Russians, Italians, regular "anglos", and yes even a few "Florida Crackers" thrown in for good measure. Amongst the black population there are black Americans, black Africans, and black West Indians. Raleigh has slightly more Asians. Miami isn't incredibly diverse but to say that Raleigh has more "true diversity" is kind of laughable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida