Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-24-2009, 10:37 AM
 
Location: Jersey Shore
831 posts, read 2,437,330 times
Reputation: 301

Advertisements

I saw on the news last night there is a proposal to use reclaimed sewer water and turn it into drinking water. Would you drink it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-24-2009, 10:49 AM
 
Location: SE Florida
1,194 posts, read 4,126,566 times
Reputation: 758
I did in Philly and the Schuylkill River is probably one of the worst rivers in PA. The Phillies get their MUD (sludge) to apply to their baseballs from the river. The water undgoes a ton of treatment before the officials say it is potable. I am surprised the faucet water didn't flow brown or green. I lived in the burbs and we had spring water which contained a lot of minerals and always clogged up the pipes.

We use to replace the water heater every 4-5 years on a 15 year guarantee heater due to the accumulating minerals but I would rather do that then dring the city water.

ANyway, the US Navy ships reclaim salt water to potable water from the ocean on their larger ships so I guess I could force myself to try it first....Evaporating water produces the distilled factor of water so it is good after that process....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2009, 01:17 PM
 
1,468 posts, read 4,749,566 times
Reputation: 1087
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmccauley View Post
I saw on the news last night there is a proposal to use reclaimed sewer water and turn it into drinking water. Would you drink it?
Why not? We drink water now that before being treated may have actually been poison with all the crap that is in it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2009, 01:47 PM
 
1,310 posts, read 3,051,400 times
Reputation: 589
Quote:
Originally Posted by mango23 View Post
Why not? We drink water now that before being treated may have actually been poison
.

"....with all the crap that is in it."
No pun intended ?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2009, 01:52 PM
 
1,310 posts, read 3,051,400 times
Reputation: 589
Lake Michigan is where almost ALL of Chicago and Suburbs get their water from ... and countless Facilities have/are dumping raw sewage, toxic chemicals, and even pharmaceuticals in the Lake and have been for many years. Its a good thing we have anti-bodies to help fend off disease.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2009, 02:48 PM
 
Location: Palm Bay, FL
334 posts, read 1,151,439 times
Reputation: 297
Assuming it's treated and tested to the same standards as regular drinking water, I don't see any problem with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2009, 02:49 PM
 
26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times
Reputation: 13166
I use reclaimed water for my irrigation system, but wouldn't be thrilled with teh idea of drinking sewer water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2009, 06:28 PM
 
Location: Jersey Shore
831 posts, read 2,437,330 times
Reputation: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I use reclaimed water for my irrigation system, but wouldn't be thrilled with teh idea of drinking sewer water.

My thoughts exactly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2009, 06:25 AM
 
Location: Upstate NY / Seneca, SC / Venice, FL
33 posts, read 157,538 times
Reputation: 52
Most cites in the US get their water from rivers lakes and wells along with reclaiming the water from storm run off and sewers. Look at it as recycling. You can rest assured that all this water is well treated before it comes out of your tap for consumption. For the most part all of this bottled water everyone buys is nothing more than bottled up tap water that has probably been reclaimed from the for mentioned sources. As a note the only time I got sick drinking water was from a pure mountain stream in Idaho back in the 70's while camping 50 miles from no-ware, go figure that bacteria can live in the wild without human intervention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2009, 09:55 AM
 
1,468 posts, read 4,749,566 times
Reputation: 1087
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanwilder View Post
Most cites in the US get their water from rivers lakes and wells along with reclaiming the water from storm run off and sewers. Look at it as recycling. You can rest assured that all this water is well treated before it comes out of your tap for consumption. For the most part all of this bottled water everyone buys is nothing more than bottled up tap water that has probably been reclaimed from the for mentioned sources. As a note the only time I got sick drinking water was from a pure mountain stream in Idaho back in the 70's while camping 50 miles from no-ware, go figure that bacteria can live in the wild without human intervention.
Testing has shown bottled water in many cases maybe most to be more contaminated then city water. I never drink bottled water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top