Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 05:52 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
FIGA is not the same thing as Citizens. FIGA is the Florida Insurance Guarantee Association. Every state has a version. It's job is to take over and pay claims when an insurance company (of any kind - auto, home, etc) goes out of business.

OK, well if I take that out it's down to $190 a year I'm paying to subsidize people with billion dollar homes on the beach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2009, 07:27 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,833,444 times
In the circle of financial life, the million dollar beach houses also tend to generate property tax revenue in excess of public services consumed so they effectively subsidize inland areas in that regard.

I'm not saying that it entirely balances out, only that it isn't as lopsided as you might think.

Old 06-26-2009, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
In the circle of financial life, the million dollar beach houses also tend to generate property tax revenue in excess of public services consumed so they effectively subsidize inland areas in that regard.

I'm not saying that it entirely balances out, only that it isn't as lopsided as you might think.
I pay more in property taxes every year than many of those multi-million dollar beach homes due to the "Save Our Homes" tax laws. So yes, it's quite lopsided, thank you.

Old 06-26-2009, 09:13 AM

Why should we force them to take on a risk they don't want to? The state wants them to write here, but only using the premium caps set by the state that don't allow enough reserve funding is short-sighted. If they are too costly then people won't buy from them, end of story.

Old 06-26-2009, 11:03 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,833,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I pay more in property taxes every year than many of those multi-million dollar beach homes due to the "Save Our Homes" tax laws. So yes, it's quite lopsided, thank you.
If you discover a beach house that's homesteaded and you think it's being used as a second home instead, rat them out to the local tax assessor's office. I'd bet they'd be thrilled to get to reassess it to market rate if it was improperly homesteaded, given current property tax revenue.

Old 06-26-2009, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
If you discover a beach house that's homesteaded and you think it's being used as a second home instead, rat them out to the local tax assessor's office. I'd bet they'd be thrilled to get to reassess it to market rate if it was improperly homesteaded, given current property tax revenue.
I'm sure that many of them are primary residences, and frankly I ahve no way of knowing. I'm not going to stalk people.

Old 06-30-2009, 07:05 AM

78,380 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjdmall View Post
Let them go. California told them if they would not insure homes then they couldn't insure cars either. I think that is what Florida should do. Not sure I understand. Does that veto mean the 5% rate hike for citizens is off the table or still on?
Less competition is ALWAYS a bad thing.
You don't have to buy policies from them but you can get a quote and see where it falls.

A couple more facts about the situation.

1. Citizens is admitted to having rates that are not sufficient in the long-run. They just won't raise rates for politics. Guess how that's going to work out when a hurricane shows up?

2. Citizens doesn't have the money to pay the claims in the case of a major hurricane. Also, how exactly will they come up with 20-30billion in a couple months to pay your claim off?

3. The Florida department of insurance always has and always will set the rates for most major types of insurance. The fact that the governor tends to forget when protraying himself as a protector of the little guy. Granting rate increases then claiming "gouging", then using Citizens to "come to the rescue with inadequate rates.

4. When the next good-sized hurricane hits, the assessments you are currently paying on auto, home and most other types of insurance will probably increase by 5x and stay there for years so yes, you are already subsidizing the rates for Citizens you just don't know it yet. Basically, when citizens tanks everyone gets to pick up the shortfall.

At least the mitigation efforts (construction and prevention credits) are being pushed. Realistically, there just needs to be smarter, safer construction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida