Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-16-2007, 08:20 AM
 
27 posts, read 128,107 times
Reputation: 20

Advertisements

We (young retirees in mid-50's) are thinking of relocating from DC to Florida. We like urban living - being able to walk to a lot of things - and are thinking of either downtown Fort Lauderdale or Orlando.

The primary question is - are these places that one can (for the most part, though not entirely) do without a car. Are there a fair amount of pedestrians around? Is everyday (grocery, drugstore, etc) shopping available.

Secondarily is a quesiton about affordability - We would like a two bedroom condo (approximately 1,200 square feet or so), move-in ready for up to about $525,000. Is this realistic?

If not these two places, do you have any suggestions for other cities (either in Florida or outside of it)? Prime criteria other than those mentioned above is warm (or more exactly, lack of cold) weather.

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-16-2007, 08:35 AM
 
2,313 posts, read 3,189,721 times
Reputation: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBINDC View Post
We (young retirees in mid-50's) are thinking of relocating from DC to Florida. We like urban living - being able to walk to a lot of things - and are thinking of either downtown Fort Lauderdale or Orlando.

The primary question is - are these places that one can (for the most part, though not entirely) do without a car. Are there a fair amount of pedestrians around? Is everyday (grocery, drugstore, etc) shopping available.

Secondarily is a quesiton about affordability - We would like a two bedroom condo (approximately 1,200 square feet or so), move-in ready for up to about $525,000. Is this realistic?

If not these two places, do you have any suggestions for other cities (either in Florida or outside of it)? Prime criteria other than those mentioned above is warm (or more exactly, lack of cold) weather.

Thanks!!
You can not get along in Fort Lauderdale without a car. Some retirement places have buses they take people on shopping trips with but in general, without a car you are trapped. The downtown is being developed into a lot of apartments and there is a lot to do. But it is mostly up scale restaurants and specialty shops geared to tourists. No real shopping for the local not looking to get ripped off.

In the downtown you would have a publix near by, within a mile just over the bridge, that has everything you want, it is a thing to see. Three stories with a huge glass front and escalators that take your cart up stairs. I believe it may be the biggest store in the Publix chain. That was the store by the way that I mentioned in another post had a generator that ran the whole store after hurricane Wilme.

I need to add this, there is an entertainment district in the downtown and on weekends it is loud. How loud, I live over a mile away and can hear it. There has been stories in the paper about downtown residents, some with million dollar apartments, who can't stand it any more and want out.

Last edited by macguy; 04-16-2007 at 08:50 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2007, 07:52 AM
 
22 posts, read 94,976 times
Reputation: 22
I think you will be happy what Hallandale has to offer.We choose this area just based on convenience and beauty.Its not as overbuild and overcrowded as other places around.Located between Miami and Fort Lauderdale with all their attractions but away from turists crowd so you not loosing quality of life.Few blocks from the beach.Right next to our bulding Diplomat mall with everything you need for everyday life.Publix is across the street wallmart-1block away dixiee supermarket liquer store sturbacks italian reataurant russian and few other restaurants there as well etc.........
NATHANDAY went there sunday and was wery impressed.
Our development overlooking Diplomat Golf course and its very beautiful.I know there are units for sale and they are in your range.I still did not learn how to post pictures but i can email them to you ynayshtut@hotmail.comWe bought 3/2 for our retierment and very excited about it.We dont have intention to sell it but will offer for rent for few years untill ready to move.In our opinion its ideal for civilized retierment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2007, 08:19 AM
 
23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Reputation: 49216
It is probably better to live near a shopping center or mall than in downtown, if you want any selection or reasonable prices. You also haven't mentioned if you want to rent, buy a home, buy a condo, or what.

You could also check out living near tri-rail, which would give you access to a wide area without using a car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2007, 08:24 AM
 
2,313 posts, read 3,189,721 times
Reputation: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by ynayshtut View Post
I think you will be happy what Hallandale has to offer.We choose this area just based on convenience and beauty.Its not as overbuild and overcrowded as other places around.Located between Miami and Fort Lauderdale with all their attractions but away from turists crowd so you not loosing quality of life.Few blocks from the beach.Right next to our bulding Diplomat mall with everything you need for everyday life.Publix is across the street wallmart-1block away dixiee supermarket liquer store sturbacks italian reataurant russian and few other restaurants there as well etc.........
NATHANDAY went there sunday and was wery impressed.
Our development overlooking Diplomat Golf course and its very beautiful.I know there are units for sale and they are in your range.I still did not learn how to post pictures but i can email them to you ynayshtut@hotmail.comWe bought 3/2 for our retierment and very excited about it.We dont have intention to sell it but will offer for rent for few years untill ready to move.In our opinion its ideal for civilized retierment.
You have been making this same post since October, haven't you rented that place yet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2007, 09:07 AM
 
17,291 posts, read 29,391,510 times
Reputation: 8691
Well, I would just like to comment on your price range. I think that you will find good bargains on "in town" condos and townhomes in that area. I have a friend whose father just recently bought a townhouse in downtown Orlando and was able to talk the owners down $35k AND got them to throw in the furniture to sell as well!

Ft. Lauderdale should have similar bargains, but maybe you might even want to look at some of the safer "downtown" areas of Boca and Delray?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2007, 09:18 AM
 
Location: Vero Beach, Fl
2,976 posts, read 13,370,597 times
Reputation: 2265
Having lived in the DC area where you can walk to local stores and other shopping, that changes in Fort Lauderdale. It used to be proximity by foot to shopping was nil to very limited. We now have pockets where that is no longer the case. You do need to be rather selective in order to get the whole package.

You will be able to find a condo in your price range. The next is to find shopping that you can get to by foot. To get both will take a bit of looking but you will find it. You really need to come down and visit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2007, 08:52 PM
 
22 posts, read 94,976 times
Reputation: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
You have been making this same post since October, haven't you rented that place yet?
I know, you are absolutely right macguy.Origianaly closing supposed to be oct-nov.06.But they resceduled it a few times.I even lost some potential tenants who wanted to move in jan 1st.This time buildings are very near completion and closings should start in couple of weeks.I will keep my fingers crossed.As far as renting it i haven`t rented it yet.I have a few inquiries but dont wont to do anything untill i get affirmative closing date
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2007, 12:06 AM
 
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
518 posts, read 2,225,536 times
Reputation: 268
I don't think you will have any problem finding something in your price range in downtown Fort Lauderdale. Many of the new high-rise condos are half-empty and sellers are getting desperate. As far as other aspects of living in downtown Lauderdale, I'd echo much of what Macguy says (I work downtown at night). Las Olas Boulevard east of Federal Highway is a great place to walk and people-watch, but the shops are touristy and overpriced. The entertainment district west of Andrews Avenue is loud and rowdy on weekends with no shortage of drunken 20-somethings. On the whole, the area is very walkable with excellent restaurants and nightspots and a riverwalk. But it isn't like Chicago, where you can exist without a car because public transportation is so good. I do think it's worth your while to come on down and check it out -- downtown Lauderdale is much more livable, in my opinion, than downtown Miami, which also is experiencing a condo-building boom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2007, 04:14 PM
 
1,418 posts, read 10,188,410 times
Reputation: 948
I can't speak for South Florida, but you cannot live in Orlando without a car; or at least you wouldn't want to. Actually, most of the larger cities in Florida is that way, with a few exceptions.

You could live in Key West without a car - just make sure you can bum a ride off the island before a hurricane hits.

You could live in one of the planned communities without a car, like Baldwin Park, Avalon Park, Celebration, even The Villages. Not my thing, but you could do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top