Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 03:30 PM

168 posts, read 391,940 times

Advertisements

Would love to know if you live in Safety Harbor or Palm Harbor...still looking for that perfect little Florida town to live in permanently! It looks like my husband will be accepting perm employment in St. Pete (where I grew up) ... Unfortunately, NE St. Pets is not what it used to be...wish the police would get alot stricter and clean up the area but I don't see that happening so I am hunting around.

We have a child off in college and doing well and another on his heels. I am going to school full time for nursing and want a community to become part of, volunteering is big with my family.

If you live in Safety Harbor or Palm Harbor and can share about schools, communities I would appreciate it!

Thanks!
Robin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2009, 05:15 PM

807 posts, read 3,173,061 times
Everyone has a different idea of "perfect". Neither Palm Harbor nor Safety Harbor are "small towns" (or of course St. Pete.) but they are very nice. I lived in PH for 5 years and loved it. I coached soccer in SH for 10 years and enjoyed everything about it, too. My only issue with PH would be property taxes, but of course, that could be said of many places.

Schools would be Palm Harbor University High, Eastlake High or Countryside High and are all in high regard.

What happened to NE St. Pete.? I thought it was considered one of the desireable areas in the city. It does sit low which results in flooding issues at times but research the flood zones if you're considering moving there. There's a wonderful atmosphere in 'old NE'.

Old 06-28-2009, 12:05 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,784,976 times
Safety Harbor= Nice! Palm Harbor= Nice away from 19.

Old 06-29-2009, 09:42 PM

Hello and thanks for your input. I grew up in old NE St. Petersburg and it was wonderful long ago but now I think the crime has risen, there are so many more homeless it is downright depressing. I remember when volunteering at the Red Cross and Free clinic as a 12 y/o and seeing homeless around but the other day I drove by Mirror Lake and there had to be 300 at least sitting in the park, sleeping. Going by North Shore Pool and Tennis courts, we went to use the restroom two homeless people were curled in sheets with their belongings neatly nearby. It is very disheartening at the least. Also, took our oldest to the Columbian a year ago for his birthday, the one at the pier, and the Teens with their loud vehicles cruising and all the swearing really ruined the feel of old NE.

I like a sense of community and am looking for a place to literally live forever in. When I left St. Pete 23 years ago I headed to Chicago, got married, lived in IL, WI and NE before returning to FL two years ago. Now, our oldest is at UNF in Jax and our youngest is in 8th grade. We have a home in Homosassa, low on crime but high on redneck (which these days, to us, is not the good thing it used to be either) very intolerant to people of color (we are caucasion but hate ignorant attitudes....if we can be accused of being prejudice it is more of people who are inconsiderate of others and are only out for themselves) and openly making negative remarks. Citrus county is either the rich retirees or the very struggling with people most of whom seem to have never gotten out of Citrus county, which leaves a narrow perspective of the world. The philosphy here overall is to look out for your own children and stay one step ahead to push your child through the best doors. Not so much what we believe in. We believe you have to teach your children how to get through the doors and academics are very important, but so is volunteering in the community...not just for Bright Futures but because you just do it! It is the right thing to do. BTW...the schools are drastically improving and Mark Mc Coy who was at the middle school and turned it around is now at the Crystal River High school and I am confident he will be a huge blessing to the high school. But...my husband just took a job in downtown St. Pete and even though I went to SPHS I don't have the heart to throw our youngest in that school or any of the ones he would attend living in Snell Isle, Venetian Isles etc. Private school is out of the question, the econmy has hit us hard this past year. We have had our kids in public and private and my preference is to find a good public district where there is positive parental involvement and volunteer. I am hoping Countryside High is like that and that Safety Harbor is that kind of community. I am a Floridian, from Key Biscayne originally, and I love that Old Florida town feel.

I have had some fun travelling all over but am thrilled to be 'back home'. Now, I would like to find a little bungalow to rent in old Safety Harbor, finish a degree for myself (in nursing) and volunteer in the community and become part of the community.

As far as small, or large... Pinellas County is large but Safety Harbor (to me) is small...which is nice. I think it is a little secret easisly passed by. But...on the other hand I was worried it was 'too good to be true' so I had to ask for opinion.

I have been impressed with what I have seen on the website for Countryside High...so...On da beach...you think it is a good choice?

Please, now that I have shared a whole lot and more than you might have wanted to know, please share more if you have time. Any details? I am not looking to buy, just to rent, safely and quietly. :-)

Last edited by Floridaherbgirl; 06-29-2009 at 09:55 PM..

Old 06-30-2009, 05:00 AM

From your post, it sounds like you'll do fine wherever you go! Parental involvement means so much and as such a fine role model...well...your children are very lucky, indeed.
Countryside High is very large and can be intimidating for a student from a small community. (that's just a heads up) An outgoing personality will help gain friends early, which in turn, helps them feel comfortable. CHS is also a strong sports school.

Countryside-Mease Hospital is just down the road from CHS and is a top notch facility. You could do much worse if you landed a job there. Your biggest hurdle will be getting used to the traffic!

I can recommend an excellent realtor if you need one, too.

Old 07-01-2009, 05:23 PM

Thanks again! We have a son who is going into 8th grade. With my husband's IT job he has been in a few schools. Strong academic, honor roll, calm and attentive, into football (wish he was on swim team like his older brother). He is also big into weight lifting club, student government, just about anything he can to get involved. In a positive attitude environment from administrators, teachers and some kids he thrives wonderfully. Big wouldn't be a problem if there were some friendly boys. Since he is so calm and usually scopes out everything before jumping in, he usually finds people come to him...which after many moves with our oldest is usually the best thing to do in a new enviornment.

I am torn about pulling him out of his middle school going into 8th grade...he is among a strong group of academic kids and even though the high schools here nauseate (sp?) me Crystal River Middle School, with a wonderful principal has been a huge blessing. But, on the flip side I thought maybe going into middle school, making friends and then going on to high school with someone he knows would be good. Any thoughts?

Can you suggest a middle school that would feed into Countryside?

With Countryside being BIG, are there a larger (than normal) gang, thug mentality or is it overall positive?

Does the admin at Countryside have a strong, yet positive grasp of how to keep things flowing relatively positively at Countryside?

Does the principal and deans support creative teaching? Not boxing the teachers in, so they actually can throw themselves into their career? After having the boys in public, private and home schooling...I favor a strong public with a positive school structure, wisdom is critical in dealing with all the issues at school.

Have I worn you out yet drilling you? Sure hope not! :-)

Yes, a realtor would be good to know. Especially, if there is any rental help. I would like to find a very affordable bungalow in the area if one exists.

Thanks again!
Robin

Old 07-02-2009, 05:05 AM

I Googled middle schools and found lots of results. I'd suggest contacting the school for answers to your specific questions. Gangs?? in Palm Harbor/Safety Harbor?? Only wanna-be thugs! hehehe

I'll DM you the realtor (mods would delete that)

Old 07-02-2009, 06:53 AM

Thanks for the info..and the DM about the realtor.
I know what middle schools are available...but..I thought you used to teach at Countryside? See I thought I had an inside contact! :-) I am used to interviewing schools for the kids, although I do believe I might be the only one who does that. (My oldest went through nine schools so might as well know up front if the school is a match first!) Have a great day and thanks ALOT for all your help!
Robin

Old 10-23-2009, 02:08 PM

53 posts, read 171,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by On-da-Beach View Post
Everyone has a different idea of "perfect". Neither Palm Harbor nor Safety Harbor are "small towns" (or of course St. Pete.) but they are very nice. I lived in PH for 5 years and loved it. I coached soccer in SH for 10 years and enjoyed everything about it, too. My only issue with PH would be property taxes, but of course, that could be said of many places.

Schools would be Palm Harbor University High, Eastlake High or Countryside High and are all in high regard.

What happened to NE St. Pete.? I thought it was considered one of the desireable areas in the city. It does sit low which results in flooding issues at times but research the flood zones if you're considering moving there. There's a wonderful atmosphere in 'old NE'.

Looks like you maybe able to give some advice...help please!
Hi, I am new to the forum and also looking to re-locate to this area.
My wife and I have 3 children 6, 7 and 10 and we are in our early 40's.

We are both from the metropolitan suburbs of D.C. and moved some 14 years ago to live in a commnuty called Ocean Pines thats a few minutes from the beach in Ocean City MD. About 2/12 hours from Baltimore

We built our dream home on the water and loved it until we realized that are children are growig quickly and now realized there is nothing here for our kids.....meaning after they complete college.(The school system here is awesome as the school district we are in are all blue ribbon schools an also a big ++ when we moved here, and my wifes a teacher)

It was fun at first but the area has also rapidly changed for the worst More bars, more cheesy stores, more events,lots of transients, beach bums ,week long partiers, renters and now slots have been approved! And continues to get a reputation for "come on vacation and leave on probation." Guess what I do for a living

My wife and I have come to the conclusion that we need to move within the next 2 years to make the transition as easy as possible for the kids and give them the oppurtunity and choices we both had growing up in a metro area.

We are looking for exactly the same thing. A family oriented neighborhood with proffessional, lots of education, culture, tecnology,sports, boating , beachs and offshore fishing.

NO RESORT TOWN!!! and close to the city but not to close. My wife says no more water front living due to flood insurance and other factors...........will see.

Why Florida...its where we originally planned on retiring,...why wait! And we want our kids to be close by.

Why this area.... my wife wont let me live in Miami I've done a lot of research but I still cant get a solid feel for the areas. I originally started out looking in St. Augustine but I would like a warmer climate.

We have been told Lake wood Ranch, Palm HArbor, East LAke Woodlands, Oldmar...Im going nutz trying to research this (HOW I FOUND THIS FORUM) , so we are driving down for 7 days in December to get a feel for this area and taking a vacation in Clearwater on the beach.

We also have old neighbors and a few friends in the area that have been directing us. But no familiies.

Any sugestions we be extremely helpful. Thanks

Old 10-09-2010, 03:10 PM

34 posts, read 75,697 times
We tried out Naples for 6 months, and now, Brevard county for over a year. Not really clicking, personally. We are from the Whole Foods, organic, educated, crowd, and have not found a niche in Florida. Exception would probably be around Winter Park, but is crowded and old. Florida is strange, and we are now looking to relocate out of it. Sorry to disappoint, but the west coast areas have the strangest characters, and lots of criminals. Brevard county on the east coast is poor, lots of military, not an analytical thought, but does have an active Tea Party (we like). Tired of this, and want to get back to a normal area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida