Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-15-2009, 07:13 PM
 
Location: Central Florida
800 posts, read 3,076,907 times
Reputation: 315

Advertisements

MovedfromFL, I hope you get back home asap! I've been in the Longwood/Lake Mary area for many years and absolutely love it. I just saw the most spectacular shuttle launch from my patio! It was a perfect night for a launch! The air was still so the contrail stuck around for a while and glowed for over 14 minutes. Not a bad view from the porch!

The pool is now 72 degress, warmer than my pool in August up north!

Tanaples...I hope you can move soon and find a place that makes you happy too.

Life is just too short to be miserable!

 
Old 03-15-2009, 07:23 PM
 
Location: where my heart is
5,643 posts, read 9,591,902 times
Reputation: 1661
Default Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee2e View Post
MovedfromFL, I hope you get back home asap! I've been in the Longwood/Lake Mary area for many years and absolutely love it. I just saw the most spectacular shuttle launch from my patio! It was a perfect night for a launch! The air was still so the contrail stuck around for a while and glowed for over 14 minutes. Not a bad view from the porch!

The pool is now 72 degress, warmer than my pool in August up north!

Tanaples...I hope you can move soon and find a place that makes you happy too.

Life is just too short to be miserable!
Devising a plan right now.
 
Old 03-15-2009, 08:11 PM
 
Location: roaming gnome
12,385 posts, read 28,372,317 times
Reputation: 5877
Quote:
Originally Posted by **NoodLes** View Post
Wow, it seems the humidity came from outta nowhere!! Last week was very dry and comfortable and then like overnight BAM! I'm still not used to how fast it can get real humid here.
In florida its "that cool time" in Dec-Feb and "summer" (or what most peoples idea of it is from march-november)
For me I think of it as some spring/fall type weather, then summer in march-may, then some ultra summer heat wave june-august, then summer again september-november.

This is my first time in Florida summer since 2004... its march already and already feels like what I think of summer temps now in the mid 80s and already getting tan from a few days at the beach, I am imagining some sticky humid concoction with thunderstorms which I forgot existed to come in a few months, along with probably an outrageous electric bill from running the AC!
 
Old 03-15-2009, 10:28 PM
 
162 posts, read 304,164 times
Reputation: 252
Hi all - I'm new to this. I've been furiously reading all the posts I can, trying to weigh up the pros and cons of moving to Florida. I have a husband and two young kids so I need to think very hard before making the leap. We live in Maine, and although it's really a beautiful state, I can no longer tolerate the winters! Summer and fall are fab but come October I get a feeling of dread for the impending snow, ice, sub zero temps. The snow is fun for a while but sliding and making snowmen gets old pretty quick - and who can afford to ski? Today ws mild but there's several feet of snow to melt before we can see some green. I love the heat and we've been to Fl several times on vac. I love to think of all the activities we could be doing instead of being stuck inside. And I think if we research it well enough we can find an area thats relatively low crime. I'm not worried about schools - we do a lot of exracurricular schooling at home. Is it true that for months of the year it's too hot to go outside? Seems that would defeat the purpose of moving somewhere to be able to get out more. Sorry if I'm off topic...

Last edited by tiddles; 03-15-2009 at 10:33 PM.. Reason: miss-spelt word
 
Old 03-16-2009, 12:08 AM
 
Location: SARASOTA, FLORIDA
11,486 posts, read 15,239,019 times
Reputation: 4894
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
in South Florida. It was 82 degrees INSIDE my house today with all the windows and doors open. Even with the breeze, I couldn't take it and put on the AC. It's COMING....... The unrelenting HEAT AND HUMIDITY. Time to hibernate, just when those up north and are coming into lovely their SPRING.

As someone on my thread in the general forum, who still lives in Florida, posted, "I am jealous of those who live up north".

It is a very interesting thread. People in Florida should read what those across the country have to say about Florida. It gives me great comfort to know that I am not alone, or need a therapist for hating living here.

And I am jealous of those who live in Florida and feel sorry for those I am going to leave behind in the cold someday.

I will trade you the 82 for the -20 windchills we had many many days this past winter. We had the heat set on 79 and still was cold inside and the house is only a few years old.

Its funny, other forums I read and people I listen to love Florida, but I guess I listen to everyone, maybe you only listen to those that make you feel better.

I hardly ever hear anything bad from anyone about Florida, in fact, we was at Target today and saw a car with a Florida plate, has a turtle on the plate which was cool. We were getting out of the car and a young family was getting ready to get in that car, I had to ask, what area in Florida are you from? The conversation was about them coming here because of a death in the family, the mom said thank god we are leaving tomorrow, how can you stand this weather being up and down, 65 in the day and 20 at night? I told her its called sinus medicine.

I told them we want to move to Florida someday soon and be careful going back. The father said to my daughter, do you like the snow, my daughter replied, NO WAY! He said then you will love it in Florida. My daughter began talking to their daughter and on he way home, we heard about swimming in the winter, playing outside, getting to horseback ride all year around and getting to go to the beach all the time.

I hunt down anyone I can to ask them about Florida and honestly, I cannot remember a single person telling me anything like you describe constantly here. Not one!

Maybe you should leave your hubby for a while and move in with your daughter so you can get yourself straightened out, no husband would want someone to stay and be miserable when they could move someplace else until he can find a job there and join you.
 
Old 03-16-2009, 12:36 AM
 
Location: roaming gnome
12,385 posts, read 28,372,317 times
Reputation: 5877
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiddles View Post
Hi all - I'm new to this. I've been furiously reading all the posts I can, trying to weigh up the pros and cons of moving to Florida. I have a husband and two young kids so I need to think very hard before making the leap. We live in Maine, and although it's really a beautiful state, I can no longer tolerate the winters! Summer and fall are fab but come October I get a feeling of dread for the impending snow, ice, sub zero temps. The snow is fun for a while but sliding and making snowmen gets old pretty quick - and who can afford to ski? Today ws mild but there's several feet of snow to melt before we can see some green. I love the heat and we've been to Fl several times on vac. I love to think of all the activities we could be doing instead of being stuck inside. And I think if we research it well enough we can find an area thats relatively low crime. I'm not worried about schools - we do a lot of exracurricular schooling at home. Is it true that for months of the year it's too hot to go outside? Seems that would defeat the purpose of moving somewhere to be able to get out more. Sorry if I'm off topic...
can u tolerate 9 months of summer? Come down in July in Orlando and see how you fare. You will be inside in the Florida summer most likely as well besides getting in your car and turning on the AC and going to your AC at work and AC at home. Why not move out west if its mild climates you seek.
 
Old 03-16-2009, 01:08 PM
 
Location: Concrete jungle where dreams are made of.
8,900 posts, read 15,830,819 times
Reputation: 1819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
And I am jealous of those who live in Florida and feel sorry for those I am going to leave behind in the cold someday.

I will trade you the 82 for the -20 windchills we had many many days this past winter. We had the heat set on 79 and still was cold inside and the house is only a few years old.

Its funny, other forums I read and people I listen to love Florida, but I guess I listen to everyone, maybe you only listen to those that make you feel better.

I hardly ever hear anything bad from anyone about Florida.
Oh yeah? Take a look at this thread. There are maybe 2 people who said they're jealous out of the 40 or so people who voted no.

//www.city-data.com/forum/gener...g-florida.html
 
Old 03-16-2009, 07:00 PM
 
Location: SARASOTA, FLORIDA
11,486 posts, read 15,239,019 times
Reputation: 4894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Oh yeah? Take a look at this thread. There are maybe 2 people who said they're jealous out of the 40 or so people who voted no.

//www.city-data.com/forum/gener...g-florida.html

Similar minds hang out in flocks, especially if they can make something good into something negative because they had problems they think everyone else is or should.

How many people do you want me to find you that are jealous of people who live in Florida? I guarantee you I would find millions more then you would find people who are in Florida who are jealous of any northerner.

The only ones you will find are people like your mom and a select few others who should not be in Florida to begin with.

I am so darn jealous of you people in Florida it is crazy, I want what you have, a life with some sun, heat and all the natural beauty around you.

Once we get rid of those who cannot see that Florida will once again be cleared out of negative people who demean the state when it is clear they are a problem within themselves.

Hockeymom72/TanNaples is one of them. It's not Florida that is the problem.
 
Old 03-16-2009, 07:24 PM
 
Location: where my heart is
5,643 posts, read 9,591,902 times
Reputation: 1661
Default Yes it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
Similar minds hang out in flocks, especially if they can make something good into something negative because they had problems they think everyone else is or should.

How many people do you want me to find you that are jealous of people who live in Florida? I guarantee you I would find millions more then you would find people who are in Florida who are jealous of any northerner.

The only ones you will find are people like your mom and a select few others who should not be in Florida to begin with.

I am so darn jealous of you people in Florida it is crazy, I want what you have, a life with some sun, heat and all the natural beauty around you.

Once we get rid of those who cannot see that Florida will once again be cleared out of negative people who demean the state when it is clear they are a problem within themselves.

Hockeymom72/TanNaples is one of them. It's not Florida that is the problem.
because I don't like heat and humidty. Are you going to say that EVERBODY should like heat and humidity? Florida has heat and humidity. So it IS the state's fault for being like this.

Have you read my thread on the general forum? Are you jealous of people who live in Florida? See what other people around the country say. Some have said they would not even want to VISIT Florida (like my husband's and my neighbor's friends). Now that IS a problem for Florida. Maybe it can have all the "sunny, happy YOU'S, but if Florida isn't getting enough tourists, snowbird, and retirees DINERO, Florida will (and is) going to be in trouble.

Florida has a reputation around the country. Check out that forum. I am not the problem with Florida, Florida's REPUTATION, and extreme weather, IS.

If so many people are so jealous of YOU and your Florida, you couldn't FIT all the people coming into this state. We have quoted you statistics. For the past few years, more people are moving OUT than moving in.

People have just discovered more places they would rather be. Again, it aint just me. I just happen to post on this forum.
 
Old 03-16-2009, 07:30 PM
 
Location: Tampa Bay Area Florida
7,937 posts, read 20,277,958 times
Reputation: 2026
this is getting very annoying now....TAN if u really have nothing nice to say, then go to a different thread, as obviously this one doesnt suit you....You are going to leave florida and this topic is for thos who left and want to come back....If I see anymore of this person's posts on WHY not to move to florida im going to scream...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:09 PM.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top