Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2009, 07:32 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,306,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
It is a totally diffrent ballgame. If a good job was offered in ALASKA, that is where we would be. FLORIDA had absolutely nothing to do with it.

Isn't that the reason that other poster moved back because of a job? That in no way, shape, or means that you actually WANTED to come back here.

I know I shouldn't "bait" you, but when my husband was out of work (an IT degree and 35 years experience), he applied to a company in Ohio. Unfortunately, the Florida company was the first to offer him a job. You know what? I would rather be in OHIO than Florida. I spent my summers as a kid at my uncle's house in Hammond, Indiana. I didn't like it, but in hindsight, right now I would rather be in Indiana, or Ohio, than FLORIDA.
Not baiting me at all, many people like it here. They like to change in seasons and the snow, we do not. We are only here right now because of an in laws health issue or we would have already sold our properties and been gone.

I have no issues with Ohio at all. You probably should have came here.
The outskirts of Columbus has some very good smaller towns and so does Cincinnati. Some of those towns are great to live in and have good schools, low crime etc.

If I was offered a job in a state I did not like I would not go, simple as that. No job and no money is worth being miserable for.
Depending on where in Ohio he was offered a job you probably should have been better off here.

Old 04-04-2009, 11:05 AM

3,636 posts, read 9,771,754 times
Thanks... Trust me, I went from highs in the low 30's to 82... It's been different, BUT, I have lived here for so many years it's like riding a bike... I'm already acclimated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Just in time for "summer." Welcome back!

Old 04-04-2009, 11:09 AM

3,636 posts, read 9,771,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
Not baiting me at all, many people like it here. They like to change in seasons and the snow, we do not. We are only here right now because of an in laws health issue or we would have already sold our properties and been gone.

I have no issues with Ohio at all. You probably should have came here.
The outskirts of Columbus has some very good smaller towns and so does Cincinnati. Some of those towns are great to live in and have good schools, low crime etc.

If I was offered a job in a state I did not like I would not go, simple as that. No job and no money is worth being miserable for.
Depending on where in Ohio he was offered a job you probably should have been better off here.
True statement there. I thought at first... "Oh no not Florida again..." But things for us were getting really crappy in MA. I got a good offer with good pay so here I am. You know what, it's not bad being back here, really. I'm fine with it.

Old 04-04-2009, 11:43 AM

360 posts, read 1,909,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA70 View Post
True statement there. I thought at first... "Oh no not Florida again..." But things for us were getting really crappy in MA. I got a good offer with good pay so here I am. You know what, it's not bad being back here, really. I'm fine with it.
It's nice you finally admit that Florida wasn't so bad after all. I remember you too were one of the ones who vented and cried daily of how you hated everything Florida. And you wanted the cooler climate and change of seasons up north again, only to find out just how drab and dreary things can be up here. Maybe this is exactly what Tanaples needs and then she too may change her mind after venting so long.

Old 04-04-2009, 12:00 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,512,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
. We are only here right now because of an in laws health issue or we would have already sold our properties and been gone.
And some people are only in their locales b/c of work issues or financial issues or whatever issue it is & they don't care for the heat.

How is your issue & problem with the snow anymore of value or significantlyof more important than those who have issues & don't care for the heat?

Once you take that first step off the pedestial, you may realize that your "issue" of NOT moving to FL & the snow & your allergies & your sinus headaches & shoveling is just as significant as someone who has issues with heat & can't mover FROM FL. Yours supposedly has to do with health care. Can't this person get health care in FL? Can't they be taken care of in FL? So, why are you still in OH? If you wanted it so badly, why aren't you there? This health care issue has been going on for 20 years? You attack others this way & deserve the same questions.

You don't like snow. Another person doesn't like heat.

Thus, you are all the same and your "excuse" is of no less value than anyone elses no matter how hard you spin it to fit the agenda you promote.

Like FL as much as you want. Just don't attack others who don't b/c their issues with staying in FL do not seem important or valuable TO YOU.

Old 04-04-2009, 04:06 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,661,046 times
Default You forget

Quote:
Originally Posted by FringedNFab View Post
It's nice you finally admit that Florida wasn't so bad after all. I remember you too were one of the ones who vented and cried daily of how you hated everything Florida. And you wanted the cooler climate and change of seasons up north again, only to find out just how drab and dreary things can be up here. Maybe this is exactly what Tanaples needs and then she too may change her mind after venting so long.
that I lived here before. I moved back north for 35 years and never missed it. Hell, when my daughter and husband came back for spring training games, etc., I didn't even go with them. I had no desire to come here even to visist. I totally DESTEST sun, heat, and humidity.

Why in the world would it be any different now? Hell, I am 60 years old. If I don't know what I like and dislike by now, it's time to enter a nursing home.

Old 04-04-2009, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
that I lived here before. I moved back north for 35 years and never missed it. Hell, when my daughter and husband came back for spring training games, etc., I didn't even go with them. I had no desire to come here even to visist. I totally DESTEST sun, heat, and humidity.

Why in the world would it be any different now? Hell, I am 60 years old. If I don't know what I like and dislike by now, it's time to enter a nursing home.
I know everyone is entitled to what they like in life. It's just after reading so many negative replies from a few of the Florida bashers, one can't help but wonder if some are just mentally depressed and it go beyond simply disliking Florida. 99% of humans don't find joy in cold and darkness

Old 04-04-2009, 04:43 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,661,046 times
Default I can thank this forum

Quote:
I know everyone is entitled to what they like in life. It's just after reading so many negative replies from a few of the Florida bashers, one can't help but wonder if some are just mentally depressed and it go beyond simply disliking Florida. 99% of humans don't find joy in cold and darkness
and the poster who sent me like link about Summer SAD. It only affects about 1% of the population, unlike the winter SAD. I always knew I was "different" from the average person in that I actually like the cold and darkness. As we joke, we need to join a vampire cult.

That is my only enjoyable time in Florida when it is in the 40s and 50s in the earning morning and I can sit in my lanai and enjoy the cool darkness.

Now tell me. How many Florida transplants want to do that? I have to get up at 4 AM to do this. Up north I could do it any time during the day.

Old 04-04-2009, 04:48 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times
Quote:
Apparently you STILL miss the point that not everyone "thinks" like you and just have to get one last jab in "wondering" about the mental health of posters here.

Why push it?

TONS OF PEOPLE WOULD NEVER WANT TO LIVE IN FLORIDA AND WOULDN'T EVEN CONSIDER MOVING HERE.

What is so hard to grasp about the concept that some people LIKE COLD STATES? OR SEASONS, OR OTHER REGIONS, OR MOUNTAINS, OR CORNFIELDS, OR WINTER SPORTS, OR NATIVE AMERICAN areas, OR BROADWAY SHOWS, OR NAPA VALLEY WINERIES.....OR CHICAGO DIVERSE NEIGHBORHOODS OR ....just about anything else that isn't here.....

My son stayed here after college 10 years and couldn't wait to move back home to Phila.

Accusing people who don't think like you of having mental problems is ridiculous and stating whatever dopey stuff you said about "living in cold and darkness"?????

Are you asserting that everyone all over the USA wants to live in Florida and just is unable to for some reason? Or that they must be mental for not wanting to? Gee I guess people in WA, OR, MT, ID, MI, WI ND, SD AND ALL OF CANADA are just a bunch of aholes.

Are you under the impression that Florida has extensively long days? Sorry, the number of daylight hours is roughly the same in Florida as the rest of the lower 48.

Old 04-04-2009, 05:00 PM

I said I know everyone is entitled to what they like in life. And sorry Tanaples, I had no idea you suffered from summer SAD. That explains a lot. I hope you can one day move back to a place that makes you happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida