Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 07:45 PM

262 posts, read 934,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida15 View Post
I forgot to answer why we want to go back.North Carolina taxes you to death and gives you no breaks whatsoever and there isn't enough to do-especially in the winter.We live just minutes from beautiful Wrightsville Beach and enjoy it in the summer,but it is totally dead everywhere around here in the winter.Also too cold!
I think the low country area of NC is very nice - to visit. Didn't know what it would be like to live there, and from what you say, hm, don't think I would like it at all. Sounds quite dull.

I did go back up north about 33 or 34 years ago, as there was a recession and I couldn't find a job here. Ummmm big mistake. I thought I'd lose my mind. It was dark, gloomy, cold, overcrowded (yes, worse than here by a lot) and the people up there were so conceited and image-crazy. Couldn't wait to get out. I lasted for almost 2 miserable years up north, trying to make the best of a bad situation, but truth is, the most beautiful sight was seeing that cold nasty place.... in my rearview mirror

I've lived in FL ever since, and to have to leave would be the end of me, I really think.

Old 06-06-2007, 06:13 PM

28 posts, read 91,265 times
I moved to TN a little over a year ago and we are packing now and moving back. We mainly moved to try something new and get away from the high housing prices but we found out it could be worse. Country living is very different than what we have been use to. We miss most going to decent resturants, variety of shopping, weather, clear skies, and tropical feel. Florida is home to me and I realize it now more than ever. In TN the gas bill was over $400. Our electric bill down there was never over $200 during the summer. Cable here is 3 x the price down there. They hit you hard on over 9% taxes, even groceries. We are just not happy here at all. Unless you were born here and have family, it is horrible.

Old 06-06-2007, 06:20 PM

458 posts, read 592,926 times
We have moved back and forth to Florida 3 times. Our business required us to move from Florida to NC and PA.

We are counting the days until we can return to Florida for good. We enjoy swimming, tennis, and all the outdoor activities year round. For us, NC and PA were fine....but not nearly as enjoyable as Florida.

Old 06-18-2007, 12:39 PM

33 posts, read 283,825 times
I moved from NY to FL, back to NY then Cali. Can't say I'll ever go back to Melbourne again.. but the state of Florida wasn't so bad. Just not what I was expecting.

Old 06-18-2007, 12:45 PM

5 posts, read 11,146 times
Default moving back against our will

We got transferred there in 1997 and stayed until 2001 when I BEGGED my husband to leave. Now, we are being relocated back to Orlando and I dread it. The homes prices are outrageous (we can't afford to buy back the house we left in '01), the taxes are ridiculous and I haven't even found out how much to expect to pay for homeowners. For these prices, I'd much rather be moving to San Diego, San Fran or Boston!!

Old 06-18-2007, 01:09 PM

1,683 posts, read 8,185,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shariviox View Post
We got transferred there in 1997 and stayed until 2001 when I BEGGED my husband to leave. Now, we are being relocated back to Orlando and I dread it. The homes prices are outrageous (we can't afford to buy back the house we left in '01), the taxes are ridiculous and I haven't even found out how much to expect to pay for homeowners. For these prices, I'd much rather be moving to San Diego, San Fran or Boston!!
Orlando home prices don't even come close to the prices of San Diego, San Fran or Boston!

Old 06-18-2007, 02:03 PM

6,565 posts, read 14,247,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida15 View Post
I forgot to answer why we want to go back.North Carolina taxes you to death and gives you no breaks whatsoever and there isn't enough to do-especially in the winter.We live just minutes from beautiful Wrightsville Beach and enjoy it in the summer,but it is totally dead everywhere around here in the winter.Also too cold!
Very interesting.... We used to vacation every year (through most of the 90's up until about 2004) at Figure Eight Island just across the inlet from Wrightsville and LOVED the beach there. My wife and I considered relocating but then REALLY thought hard about it.

I like the history of Wilmington as it's a very interesting region, Fort Fisher, Southport and that old colonial town on that penninsula (can't remember the name). Loved Bald Head Island etc.... but upon thinking we realized that we weren't actually going to be living in any of these places most likely because we couldn't afford most of them. Beyond that the developed area of Wilmington is just as congested and ugly as the parts of Florida that we detested. On top of that it gets that "worst of all weathers" in the winter which is cold rain with hardly a prayer of it ever snowing. What's the fun in that???

So we decided against that area...... Good to hear we weren't too far off....

Old 06-18-2007, 02:23 PM

61 posts, read 399,437 times
Default It just keeps calling to us.... :-)

I was born and raised in Florida. Moved up to the northeast (my parent's decision). We all migrated back to FL as adults. Then my husband's work took us to TN. We moved back to Florida after that because of an insane amount of work in Central Florida.

Well, 3+ years ago we are offered a job in East TN. We came up because we were a little tired of the hustle and bustle of Orlando. We've got kids now and the country life seemed to be the best thing. Well, the job didn't work out...so, 3 hurricanes, raising taxes, insurance rates and housing costs later that state is STILL calling to us. Luckily things are calming down and the houses are becoming more reasonable.

We have a contract on our house now and we are hoping to move back this summer. Looking at Lakeland also looked heavily into North Port.

You can't beat the ever changing bright blue skies and white puffy clouds and the flat roads.

That is my story.

Old 06-18-2007, 02:23 PM

57 posts, read 195,852 times
Moved from Tampa to Charlotte. Lived in Charlotte for 5 years and then came back to Tampa. I am fourth generation from Tampa and my entire family is still here so we decided to move back.

Old 06-18-2007, 02:46 PM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,406,648 times
Default I must be the fasted one back....lol

We moved to Port Saint Lucie in 2003, coming from PA.
We sold our home in FL rather quickly on May 4th, and moved back to PA. Now, not even 2 months later, we have decided that we are moving back!
We won't move back to Port Saint Lucie, but maybe Vero or Stuart....and, we will rent first, until we figure out, where we really want to be in FL.
Florida does something to you.....
Here is my take on my situation:
I think my husband (he hated Port Saint Lucie) was just fed up and overwhelmed with the hurricanes, people from the north and big time attitutes, low paying jobs. He just wanted to get out, no matter where to.
I didn' treally wanted to leave, but, I got "sucked" into HIS rut.
We moved back to PA, because of a promising job opportunity for him, which fell trough BTW.
We remained open minded, taking trips to TN and NC.
We eliminated those states one, by one, by one......making up our minds of going back, where we spend 4 years of our life, made incredible friends....and have jobs waiting for us.
I feel absolutely silly and crazy, spending all the effort selling our beautiful home, gave up my job with incredible benefits and stocks I walked away from, going trough the moving expense.....I could cry on how stupid I was/ am.
So, it's a no brainer at this point.....we are coming BACK for good!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida