Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 03:15 PM

631 posts, read 2,440,700 times

Advertisements

I was born and raised in TN and had just about enough of Orlando. I was one of the people screaming about how expensive it was, how bad traffic and crime were, how there was no culture...etc. Then I moved back to Nashville and it didn't take me 3 months to know the same exact problems exist in TN, but some are worse. The traffic in Nashville is without a doubt horrendous compared to Orlando. Nashville has more crime. Nashville is wasting away in development HeII. The beautiful trees and hills are being paved over for shopping!! Big box shopping at that. No one is originally from Nashville anymore, they are all transplants from Florida or NJ or CA. It absolutely killed me to know my beautiful refuge is being destroyed. (I read yesterday these people we're bitching because Fall Creek Falls Nation Park has very little electricity for camping and that there was no shopping, etc... Made me want to scream.)

The houses are almost as expensive as Orlando now as well. My point is that every place has it's ups and downs. But after living through 5 months of gray skies and rain and snow I realized how much Orlando had to offer.

Traffic really isn't that bad here. Crime, while bad, isn't on par with other real cities. The weather is beautiful. Like someone else said I can plan outdoor activities weeks in advance. There's so much more to do here....from the beaches to parks to theaters.
I love it here now and since I have adjusted MY attitude and expectations I am having a much more enjoyable life.

Old 06-18-2007, 04:27 PM

2,227 posts, read 8,182,115 times
there's a lot of us who moved away, only to come back to fla.

Old 06-26-2007, 08:15 PM

11 posts, read 69,269 times
Default Yo-Yo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefly925 View Post
Just wondering if there is anyone on this forum who had moved away from Florida and then moved back? If so, why did you come back?
I eloped to Broward to be with my sweetheart in '95. Moved back to New England to appease my homesick heart in '06 (missed seasons and their individual charms). Now moving back to FL at summer's end to soothe him. Florida offers it's own special lifestyle and amenities and irritations. New England housing market is astronomical. Construction usually picks up in summer - but a lot of companies are laying off. This doesn't bode well for winter. He's a PSM and I'm a Civil/Survey CAD tech.

We're heading to Martin County this time. I fully anticipate a return to New England in the distant future - it's almost comical now. Perhaps we can pull off a home in both places but not feasible now. BTW: still married - the spontanaiety seems to work for us

Old 06-26-2007, 08:41 PM

393 posts, read 1,729,335 times
Left in Nov 06 in part because of homesickness my family felt, I did not want to leave. Now, within 6 mos of leaving, they are also missing FL. Of course my daily whining about missing the sunshine may have had something to do with it! In any case, we will be moving back. Don't know where yet, but we will be back.

Old 06-26-2007, 08:42 PM

975 posts, read 3,717,973 times
Florida is so amazin I just can't imagine how anyone could ever leave.

Old 06-26-2007, 09:08 PM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,403,127 times
Talking I am one of them, coming back....

Yes, my friends....after only two months (is that worth for the record book somewhere???? ) our return will be in process on the 29th (packing).
We are occupying our rental by July 1st, and this time it will be to Stuart/ Hope Sound.
Are we crazy?
Absolutely....
But better be crazy...then being stuck somewhere you don't want to be and be miserable!!! LOL

Old 06-26-2007, 09:42 PM

2,227 posts, read 8,182,115 times
i think you mean hobe sound

Old 06-27-2007, 07:21 AM

8 posts, read 23,602 times
hey, I'm in the same boat as you. We moved from NY to Port. St.. Lucie in 1990, then to Sarasota(loved Sarasota), then came back home to NY. Stayed for 3 years (had 3 kids), and decided to try FL again and moved to Lansbrook (Palm Harbor), my husbands job then moved us back to NY. It gets better...we lived in NY for 4 years and my husband got the itch again to move back to FL. I left kicking and screaming. Hated FL, too hot and nothing to do. But I went. Built a home in FishHawk Ranch (Lithia, Florida) stayed for 3 years and decided that I hated it much more then I remembered. My husband left FL kicking and screaming. We made an awesome profit on our home and moved back to NY (home). GUESS WHAT???
The moving truck will be here on July 3rd.......I'll give you three guesses where to.
That's my story.

Old 06-27-2007, 11:34 PM

57 posts, read 336,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evey View Post
We moved to SC at the end of 2005. We moved back last month. Husband missed his family, and there were NO jobs. Housing & other expenses were laughably low, but when you can't get a job in 14 months.........

If you dont mind me asking.... What City or Town did you live in ...in South Carolina

Old 06-28-2007, 12:06 PM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,403,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtofla View Post
i think you mean hobe sound
Opppppssss...great, now I can't even write the name of the place I am moving to....Grrrrrrrr....Just great
Thank's backtofla....lol......saving me....AGAIN!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida