Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2008, 09:37 AM

11 posts, read 32,484 times

Advertisements

I was born & raised in Florida. In November of last year, I decided to take a "great" job north of Atlanta. The houses were significantly cheaper & the job was a dream job--totally flexible hours and even better pay. What a deal, right? Nope . . . my husband and I hated every second of it. We returned home to Florida every three weeks, dreaded returning every single time, and basically decided that we had to return, even though we had already bought a house (in this market!!) . . . we were prepared to return even if it meant foreclosure. So, after exactly 6 months, I quit my job, and we put the house on Craig's list for rent (in that order). I decided to advertise the house for $175 less than the mortgage payment, just so we could get it rented and not face foreclosure (which would have been virtually guaranteed without the rental income). Thankfully we had bought the house at still a pretty good deal b/c it was a foreclosure.

Then we moved back to Orlando, live in a smaller house, and I'm only able to work part-time at the moment earning less money . . . but I haven't regretted the decision for one single second. I will NEVER move out of Florida again.

Backwoods, winter, no restaurants . . . or the traffic of Atlanta and a one hour drive to restaurants . . . no thanks! Oh, and did I mention winter? And cabin fever??? For a lifetime Floridian (born in Florida), there was just NO WAY I could handle that environment. I don't know how people live north of Florida. There was always something magical about crossing the state line. I swear the temps rise the minute you cross the line. And everything is greener at the same time.

Old 07-10-2008, 08:19 PM

12,626 posts, read 31,895,067 times
Default Anyone leave FL......

Has anyone moved from FL and decided to return? Where did you move to and why did you come back?

Old 07-10-2008, 09:15 PM

1,781 posts, read 6,937,457 times
There is already a thread in the florida forum about this.

Old 07-10-2008, 09:42 PM

156 posts, read 149,939 times
Beckycat, I did. I moved to NC and then back again. PARTS of FL are still nice, but I live in Orlando, and if it werent for my family I have still here, I'd be back up to NC in a sec!!! Being a FL native, I can fit right in up there too! Its the louder crowd that isnt necessarily as welcome up there, if you get my drift. Basically, we know what happened to FL, and they dont want it happening up there now too.

Like I said, I like FL, but I picked a bad spot to return to (Orlando). It's like going from America to ........... sometimes I dont know where the hell I am! LOL!!

Old 07-10-2008, 10:16 PM

91 posts, read 333,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfer boy View Post
Beckycat, I did. I moved to NC and then back again. PARTS of FL are still nice, but I live in Orlando, and if it werent for my family I have still here, I'd be back up to NC in a sec!!! Being a FL native, I can fit right in up there too! Its the louder crowd that isnt necessarily as welcome up there, if you get my drift. Basically, we know what happened to FL, and they dont want it happening up there now too.

Like I said, I like FL, but I picked a bad spot to return to (Orlando). It's like going from America to ........... sometimes I dont know where the hell I am! LOL!!

So....NC is like being in America...
So....People that speak loud not welcomed...
So....They will not let what happened to FL happen to NC...

Is there a tour bus?

Old 07-10-2008, 10:22 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,783,258 times
I heard that in NC, they don't have rude people and everyone says "hi" and becomes friendly and neighborly when they move there. But if you are rude in Florida or if there is a crime commited, it's Florida's fault.

Old 07-11-2008, 06:26 PM

52 posts, read 225,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rarebuyer View Post
I was born & raised in Florida. In November of last year, I decided to take a "great" job north of Atlanta. The houses were significantly cheaper & the job was a dream job--totally flexible hours and even better pay. What a deal, right? Nope . . . my husband and I hated every second of it. We returned home to Florida every three weeks, dreaded returning every single time, and basically decided that we had to return, even though we had already bought a house (in this market!!) . . . we were prepared to return even if it meant foreclosure. So, after exactly 6 months, I quit my job, and we put the house on Craig's list for rent (in that order). I decided to advertise the house for $175 less than the mortgage payment, just so we could get it rented and not face foreclosure (which would have been virtually guaranteed without the rental income). Thankfully we had bought the house at still a pretty good deal b/c it was a foreclosure.

Then we moved back to Orlando, live in a smaller house, and I'm only able to work part-time at the moment earning less money . . . but I haven't regretted the decision for one single second. I will NEVER move out of Florida again.

Backwoods, winter, no restaurants . . . or the traffic of Atlanta and a one hour drive to restaurants . . . no thanks! Oh, and did I mention winter? And cabin fever??? For a lifetime Floridian (born in Florida), there was just NO WAY I could handle that environment. I don't know how people live north of Florida. There was always something magical about crossing the state line. I swear the temps rise the minute you cross the line. And everything is greener at the same time.

Damn I'm jealous. I can't wait to go home.

Old 07-11-2008, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemelb View Post
So....NC is like being in America...
So....People that speak loud not welcomed...
So....They will not let what happened to FL happen to NC...

Is there a tour bus?
1. Yes, you will actually feel like you are in America when in NC.

2. No, I wouldnt say they are not welcomed, but the rude/in-your-face/obnoxious attitudes arent that prevelant there. So, yeah, you might be looked upn strangely.

3. Hopefully not, although I hear CLT is becoming unrecognizable.

Old 07-11-2008, 08:32 PM

"heard that in NC, they don't have rude people and everyone says "hi" and becomes friendly and neighborly when they move there."

Not always, but yes, definitely more common.

Old 07-11-2008, 08:52 PM

12,626 posts, read 31,895,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphaman View Post
There is already a thread in the florida forum about this.
Do you know where I might find it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida