Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 10:57 AM

104 posts, read 490,102 times

Advertisements

I am looking to invest 50-100K in a condo - I know there are deals to be had - I know Ft Lauderdale very well but really like the west coast - but want to be able to fly in and out from Boston easy - I still will live north while my children finish hs and college. I was thinking venice, sarasota, naples....I want nice beaches, restaurants, and young old people....Help me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2009, 11:37 AM

1,310 posts, read 3,050,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachlady58 View Post
I am looking to invest 50-100K in a condo - I know there are deals to be had - I know Ft Lauderdale very well but really like the west coast - but want to be able to fly in and out from Boston easy - I still will live north while my children finish hs and college. I was thinking venice, sarasota, naples....I want nice beaches, restaurants, and young old people....Help me!
If youll consider the Panhandle , there are brand new Townhomes, 2 bedroom with garage , in Crestview, Fl. called Eagle Ridge Townhomes. There are approx. 15 left . My mother was so impressed with them that she is moving from Illinois to live there. $99,400 (3 years ago, they were going for $140,000 brand new) . Crestview is 35 minutes to the Gulf Coast , youd fly in and out of Pensacola Airport which is 30 minutes right down I-10 , smaller town but growing quickly . I live 10 miles from there and love the area and people.

Old 07-07-2009, 12:04 PM

2,269 posts, read 7,330,880 times
If you want an easy commute to Boston, I wouldn't recommend the Panhandle. I also wouldn't recommend Crestview.

Old 07-07-2009, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTraveler View Post
If you want an easy commute to Boston, I wouldn't recommend the Panhandle. I also wouldn't recommend Crestview.
Please explain why , on each.

Old 07-07-2009, 02:58 PM

2,269 posts, read 7,330,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVlover View Post
Please explain why , on each.
Beachlady wants an easy commute to Boston. I read that as direct flight. I can't think of any direct flight from Fort Walton or Pensacola to Boston. In fact, there is a saying in that area that even on your way to heaven you have a layover in Atlanta.

As for Crestview, just from the OP's user name and her request for good beaches and restaurants, I simply don't think she has Crestview in mind. Sure, she can drive to Destin but I have a feeling she's looking for something a little closer and with a different vibe than Crestview. Either way, we're both entitled to our opinions, right?

Old 07-07-2009, 03:53 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
You are right on with your thinking on this area - you should be able to get a condo in the region. I am sure our own SoFLGal can help you with that. Sarasota has a VERY nice regional airport. There are many transplants and snowbirds from the NE in the area, so flights to boston should not be a problem. We have the best beaches, restaurants and cool friendly people here! I definitely recommend Sarasota/Venice over Naples, however.

Good luck!

Old 07-07-2009, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTraveler View Post
Beachlady wants an easy commute to Boston. I read that as direct flight. I can't think of any direct flight from Fort Walton or Pensacola to Boston. In fact, there is a saying in that area that even on your way to heaven you have a layover in Atlanta.

As for Crestview, just from the OP's user name and her request for good beaches and restaurants, I simply don't think she has Crestview in mind. Sure, she can drive to Destin but I have a feeling she's looking for something a little closer and with a different vibe than Crestview. Either way, we're both entitled to our opinions, right?
She needs to be more definitive in her qualifications before you start ruling out places ; otherwise, its rather presumptuous of you.

Old 07-07-2009, 05:53 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
I thought the OP was extremely clear on her original criteria. Crestview is a good 45+ minutes to the beach on a good day, and the 'good' restaurant in town there is Cracker Barrel. Also no direct flights to Boston anywhere in the Panhandle.

Old 07-07-2009, 05:58 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,912,465 times
Quote:
OK, I was thinking Sarasota but you probably wouldn't be able to get much there in that price range. So, my next thought was Bird Bay in Venice. It's about 5 minutes from the beach, 30 minutes or so from the Sarasota airport and probably about an hour from the Ft. Myers airport. Great restaurants in Sarasota, close by and a few sprinkled through Venice. Although Venice tends to be more on the senior side I've found that Bird Bay seems to be pretty active and have the "young old"

Anyway, that's my opinion.

Old 07-07-2009, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
I thought the OP was extremely clear on her original criteria. Crestview is a good 45+ minutes to the beach on a good day, and the 'good' restaurant in town there is Cracker Barrel. Also no direct flights to Boston anywhere in the Panhandle.
You dont know if the OP is willing to drive 35 min. to the beaches or not , so please dont be presumptuous. You also dont know if she will consider a connecting flight to and from Pensacola. Did you get a speeding ticket going thru Crestview or arrested for lewd behavior or something ?! Theres a few nice restaurants in Crestview including CoachNfour ,and a fancy looking Mexican restaurant in the same area too. If she doesnt mind driving 35 min. to the beaches, then she wont mind doing the same for a restaurant down Destin/Fort Walton way if she doesnt like Crestviews selection. But until the OP makes it more clearer , please stop throwing your weight around . Further, one of her criteria was a condo between $50-100 k. -- youll be hard pressed to find anything like that outside of the Panhandle in Florida. But Crestview has NEW 2 bedroom Condos in a nice section for just under $100 k.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida