Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2009, 11:48 AM

1 posts, read 2,468 times

Advertisements

My whole life I have wanted to move to Florida. I have family in Deltona. Unfortunately I grew up in South Carolina as a child and then got moved to Indiana with my family. I am now old enough to venture out on my own. However, I want something affordable, fun to be at, but a non-tourist location. I want to live on the shore or very close. Does anyone have any ideas as to where a good beach but not a touristy location would be? I'm also interested in going back to school at UF. So maybe close to there!!!! I know that Gainesville is not close to an ocean too by the way, lol. But I am willing to make the drive or at least live in between, maybe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2009, 12:19 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,693,879 times
well if you wanna live on the coast its gonna be at least a two hour drive to UF. I'd recommend new symerna, ormand beach or clear water, if you wanna live on the coast..

Old 07-10-2009, 05:35 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,661,904 times
I would say anywhere but Deltona. It is really not that nice of an area except near I-4. The town really has nothing to offer. I know the crime rate is pretty high there also. .
Depends what you are looking for. If you are young I would head more south. Like maybe the Delray Beach area or Hollywood. Lots of young people there.

Old 07-12-2009, 02:50 AM

501 posts, read 1,882,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aclifford View Post
My whole life I have wanted to move to Florida. I have family in Deltona. Unfortunately I grew up in South Carolina as a child and then got moved to Indiana with my family. I am now old enough to venture out on my own. However, I want something affordable, fun to be at, but a non-tourist location. I want to live on the shore or very close. Does anyone have any ideas as to where a good beach but not a touristy location would be? I'm also interested in going back to school at UF. So maybe close to there!!!! I know that Gainesville is not close to an ocean too by the way, lol. But I am willing to make the drive or at least live in between, maybe.
First off, are you young or old? Single or married? (These answers would help!

Next, what is your intended major? Many of the major colleges now have satellite campuses around Florida where you don't now have to commute to the main campus anymore. (But I also caution you with looming State budget cuts that some of these programs might be cut in the future). Even if this does happen, many of the main programs are now available by internet/telecourse in many (but not all) cases.

Based on what you've posted so far, Flagler Beach would be your best bet. It's on the beach, affordable, not really touristy (except on weekends), and a straight shot down SR 100 to Palatka, then a few other roads to Gainesville. About a 90 minute commute each way. You could get around by bicycle if you lived near AIA + SR100 crossroads. Great farmer's market on weekends. But sidewalks roll up pretty early.

Second choice would be Crescent Beach on AIA, just south of St. Augustine. A straight shoot down SR206 bridge to Gainesville via Hastings. This is a more bizarre place as it would be a seasonal beach house/condo bedroom community, but an easy distance to St Augustine/S.A. Beach for some fun/main supplies. There are a few good tourist waterfront eateries around there you can bicycle to (but otherwise don't expect too much more than gas/convenience stores for local supplies).

Good Luck!

Old 07-12-2009, 09:03 AM

225 posts, read 644,013 times
I agree with Daytonadewd. Find a university that offers the major you're looking for first. You will have plenty of time to explore the state while you're here. Don't forget, beaches are only a short drive from anywhere in the state.

UF and FSU are higher tier universities.

Old 07-12-2012, 09:25 AM

11 posts, read 30,162 times
Great non tourist town is Venice, Sarasota area. However, no solid universities- only usf Bradenton and usf Venice. You could search Bradenton area- you could still attend a great usf branch st Pete. Great campus. By the elite like uf, but not the crowd either. Still a solid education. We are about 3 hours from one coast to the other Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida