Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 08:43 PM

508 posts, read 1,107,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardedhero View Post
we're spending a week in st pete starting aug 1, we spent a week there 2 years ago and a week in destin 1 year ago, definitely think st pete is the place for sure. so much water around it's like heaven! just thought maybe it could be better some place else beach wise but after doing some research on this forum and personal florida experience i can't come up with a better beach area than st pete!
You HAVE to take trip down across the 5 mile bridge from St Petersburg to Sarasota. St Pete beach and Clearwater is nice and all but housing is overpriced and cramped all over. More homeless folks along the city streets, more non-violent crime, etc... The living situations in Tampa are busy busy busy but hey that might be your thing. I like Tampa so I'm not trying to bash it or anything but it's a metropolis. The beach is really good in St Pete but..... you will loose your breath when you see everything south of it. You will never feel the same once you take a turn onto Lido or Siesta Key. You have a young son... check out Sarasota County for schools. Great affordable housing for any kind of lifestyle and some of the best City Data advisors from the area on the whole site!
Now a plug for the general location in Florida, The gulf is way warmer, the cities ovder there are quieter, the water is more blue over by the gulf. Atlantic is greener and slightly colder but may have much more party life on the beach with Daytona, Fort Lauderdale, even Miami etc....you get the sun no matter what and hey... it's still Florida
I'm telling you, enjoy your time in August but don't waste a moment seeing Sarasota! Even heaven has a sanctuary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2009, 08:51 PM

12 posts, read 44,162 times
Thx for the suggestion I'll definitely check out Sarasota and let you know what we think!

Old 07-20-2009, 01:50 AM

20 posts, read 88,519 times
My name says it all. Tallahassee was voted the 2008 best Florida City to raise kids and is a very short drive from Beautiful St.George Island

Old 07-20-2009, 10:19 AM

508 posts, read 1,107,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardedhero View Post
Thx for the suggestion I'll definitely check out Sarasota and let you know what we think!
'course, you may not want to go swimming with those beer bottles hanging off your ears, could get heavy... . I imagine they would get in the way when you play 'Through the Fire and Flames'

Old 07-20-2009, 10:21 AM

2,517 posts, read 11,052,247 times
best PLACE to live ? Lake Mary....rated as one of the best by a leading magazine. Best COASTAL ? Mexico Beach or Vero Beach.

good luck !

Old 07-20-2009, 01:59 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
All depends on who you are, and what you're looking for.

Florida is a great state, because it holds something for everyone. Panhandle is lower Alabama. If you're like me, and you're from the south, ok with southern politics and people, its perfect for you. If you're from the northeast originally, I'd move to the Tampa area somewhere. Lots of transplants living in that area, as well as Jacksonville. If you're ok with tourists, Orlando/Daytona/Lauderdale are fine. If you're ok with speaking Spanish, Miami or anywhere in that area is fine. I wouldn't move to the keys unless you have a honey pot full of money, and you're just looking to retire.

Old 07-20-2009, 03:58 PM

12 posts, read 44,162 times
Not from Arkansas or the south originally so lower Alabama is a no go lol. I grew up in Portland, OR mostly. Definitely want to get away from bible thumping rednecks no offense. We're definitely set on st Pete unless something better comes along which I'm doubtful at this point. I do wanna check out Sarasota cause it's so close but am afraid it's just not quite big enough. Just countin' down the days, man I'm so stoked!

Old 07-20-2009, 05:36 PM

2,517 posts, read 11,052,247 times
Here are some links for you...

Lake Mary > City of Lake Mary, Florida

Mexico Beach > Mexico Beach, Florida Business Listings - Mexico Beach Community Development Council

These are my top picks in Florida. Have fun !

Old 07-20-2009, 05:50 PM

976 posts, read 1,111,947 times
The best place in FL? The further north you go.

Old 07-21-2009, 05:22 PM

14 posts, read 46,965 times
Default Melbourne is unspoiled, beach w/in 3 miles, good music scene, airport and affordable

I've lived in Indialantic (beachside town) just over the bridge from Melbourne. Melbourne is 1/2 way between Miami and Jacksonville. There are 3 colleges (1) is FIT Florida Inst of Tech. Community is unassuming but has more to offer for less dinero. You are only a little over an hour from Orlando but don't have to put up with the garbage. Lots of hi tech firms in this area. Better employment than the rest of Florida. Nice unspoiled coast. Restaurants are Ok, some really good others you can find just about anywhere in the US. Commuting even at the worst of times will take you less than 1/2 hour to get from point A > B. Great older downtown area which has only 1 shop that can be found throughout the US and only one other that has another shop in the Orlando area.

This is a great place to live. Check out the demographics online.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida