Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 01:13 PM

44 posts, read 107,924 times

Advertisements

With Florida's large population, I'm pretty sure there's huge problem with crack-cocaine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2009, 01:43 PM

2,414 posts, read 5,400,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
Crack is from the outlet store, freebase comes from Saks. Not everyone who smokes cocaine will become addicted. I disagree with the "take one hit and you're an addict" theory as well. If you have an "addictive personality", issues that you resolve by using pills or alcohol, I'd put my money that should you get a taste of "smoking" and get the good stuff, you might not be able to walk away from it as easy as someone who's just experimenting.
It probably has a lot to with each person's brain chemistry. Someone who likes to bring themselves "down" with substances would probably never enjoy being wired on cocaine even if they used it, and never get addicted.

Old 07-25-2009, 07:58 PM

717 posts, read 2,808,527 times
I've lived in Orlando for 8 years now--raised 4 kids here--currently between 15-22. I have personally never had crack, meth, or any other illegal substance flaunted in front of me. My kids have never felt pressured to try or buy. It's all in who you choose to hang out with. My kids are all high academic achievers who don't seem interested in screwing up their lives (thank God).

My oldest son works for the Polk County school district and I just asked him about this issue. He said that aactually crack and meth are not as bad as what they were a few years ago. He also agrees that the biggest problem is probably with pot or underage drinking.

To the OP concern, all of these things can be found everywhere. There is no where that is immune to drugs. But it certainly is not like the city of Orlando or the state of Florida is so over-run with illegal drugs that it is inescapable. It has not been an issue in my life in 8 years of living here with 4 teenage kids.

Old 07-25-2009, 08:38 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,276,538 times
I was the court reporter in my small area in Mass. for ten years. Very few drug issues and they were all pot.

Drugs in Orlando will eventually catch up to you. It does not have to flaunted in front of you. A break in or purse grab will affect you.

Orlando definitely has a drug issue, and the crime rates have gone up dramatically since I left in 1998. It's a numbers game, unfortunately, and your luck may run out.

Old 07-25-2009, 08:56 PM

My personal opinion, there are areas on the southwest side of Chicago and Philadelphia that have intimidated me way more than any area in Orlando. Orlando has it's bad areas, but compared to major cities, these areas are much smaller and you are in and out of them within a few minutes.I can't say that I was thrilled to be driving thru Parramore on a detour a few weeks ago, but a few blocks and it was over-of course, I also happened to get every red light passing thru, but.... That's quite different than a few miles of really, really bad gang infested inner-city stuff where you are truly hoping you don't get caught in the cross-fire just cause you made a wrong turn.

And there are many,many cities which offer more positive things in life and a better life--which is why I have been in search of a new place to call home.

Old 07-25-2009, 09:18 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,276,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsajourney View Post
My personal opinion, there are areas on the southwest side of Chicago and Philadelphia that have intimidated me way more than any area in Orlando. Orlando has it's bad areas, but compared to major cities, these areas are much smaller and you are in and out of them within a few minutes.I can't say that I was thrilled to be driving thru Parramore on a detour a few weeks ago, but a few blocks and it was over-of course, I also happened to get every red light passing thru, but.... That's quite different than a few miles of really, really bad gang infested inner-city stuff where you are truly hoping you don't get caught in the cross-fire just cause you made a wrong turn.

And there are many,many cities which offer more positive things in life and a better life--which is why I have been in search of a new place to call home.
Right. I understand. But some people think that Florida is "paradise" and it is ridiculous, really. I've seen it compared against Philly, Chicago, Detroit, East LA. Well, if you have to compare these areas against it to sell it, then maybe there are better places. Ya think? Why sink your life savings into moving there if it is going to be the same or worse than where you are from?

Old 07-25-2009, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Right. I understand. But some people think that Florida is "paradise" and it is ridiculous, really. I've seen it compared against Philly, Chicago, Detroit, East LA. Well, if you have to compare these areas against it to sell it, then maybe there are better places. Ya think? Why sink your life savings into moving there if it is going to be the same or worse than where you are from?
I'm with you there....that's why I'm in search of paradise elsewhere

Old 07-26-2009, 05:04 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUBBA1994 View Post
With Florida's large population, I'm pretty sure there's huge problem with crack-cocaine.
Actually there isn't a crack problem in most of Florida--methamphetimine is a much larger issue. And it's really bad in the rural areas like where you live!

Old 07-26-2009, 05:14 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times
Quote:
I was the court reporter in my small area in Mass. for ten years. Very few drug issues and they were all pot.

Drugs in Orlando will eventually catch up to you. It does not have to flaunted in front of you. A break in or purse grab will affect you.

Orlando definitely has a drug issue, and the crime rates have gone up dramatically since I left in 1998. It's a numbers game, unfortunately, and your luck may run out.
I'm not saying drugs aren't here. I have friends who smoke weed, although I honestly think the government is missing the boat by not legalizing, controlling, and taxing that like we do with alcohol and cigarettes. I think the only reason they haven't is that they can't figure out a way to accurately measure levels of "intoxication" like they can with driving in order to assess penalties for abuse.

And I imagine if I ever wanted to I could score pretty much anything I wanted to with a few phone calls. Face it, I don't care if you're the church organist, we all know people who know people who know people.

But they aren't nearly as prevelent as they are in other areas I've lived in. In one place I lived in the northeast, I was regularly offered drugs as I left my house in an urban but not "ghetto" neighborhood each day.

Old 07-26-2009, 08:12 AM

976 posts, read 1,111,576 times
Quote:

LOL, yes, I love the "This is just like back home in Jersey but there's now snow down here." Now that's appealing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida