Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2007, 05:12 PM

389 posts, read 3,538,361 times

Advertisements

We have had our house on the market for a while now with no luck...no we're not trying to make a killing on it, in fact for what it's listed at, we are actually taking a loss. We already have land bought and plans for the house that we are going to build, and I am so excited about the move, I am actually getting a bit depressed....and a little irritated that we are just stuck here until the market takes a bit of a turn.

Anyone else in the same boat with some positive thoughts? I am trying to make the best of it here, but I am getting very discouraged since nobody really knows when the market will change (though I know there are plenty of people making claims of fact of how long it will take, unless they can show me their crystal ball, I ain't buyin')

Anywho...just looking for anyone else in the same situation...misery loves company you know
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2007, 05:42 PM

2,313 posts, read 3,189,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle View Post
We have had our house on the market for a while now with no luck...no we're not trying to make a killing on it, in fact for what it's listed at, we are actually taking a loss. We already have land bought and plans for the house that we are going to build, and I am so excited about the move, I am actually getting a bit depressed....and a little irritated that we are just stuck here until the market takes a bit of a turn.

Anyone else in the same boat with some positive thoughts? I am trying to make the best of it here, but I am getting very discouraged since nobody really knows when the market will change (though I know there are plenty of people making claims of fact of how long it will take, unless they can show me their crystal ball, I ain't buyin')

Anywho...just looking for anyone else in the same situation...misery loves company you know
I just had a closing Tuesday on something I owned and it took 10 months. I never had even one offer. Then someone came along and I was not letting them get away. I just took their first offer, I was not even taking a chance of countering. Unless you are giving it away you may not even get an offer. Just when someone tells you it can't get worse, it does. How long have you had it on the market by the way?

Old 04-21-2007, 05:50 PM

68 posts, read 294,787 times
Default on the same boat

i have had mine townhome for sale since Nov. I already bought a home in NC. since about 3weeks, i am just about giving mine away. for less than i bought it one year ago.

my neighbor has hers 35K higher than mine.

Jan/Feb were busy, i showed my home 19times.

Mar was HORRIBLE, i showed my home 3times.

April seems better, 8 people so far.

2 TH have sold in the last 60days so i am optimistically hopefull that i am next ;o)

Good luck

Old 04-21-2007, 06:13 PM

458 posts, read 598,472 times
Buyers are faced with paying higher taxes and insurance and also have a ton of rental options. Many buyers have to pay less than 2004 prices because they will have much higher insurance and taxes than the current owners do, and those costs eat up what they can afford to pay for a principle and interest.

I would suggest not chasing the market down. By that I mean don't slowly lower the price each month or two. You usually end up always being above the market.

Your house is worth what a buyer will pay you for it, not what Zillow or a realtor says. Be frank and honest about what a buyer will pay you in today's market and take it.

And to the above poster...if you are showing your home that many times and not getting legitimate offers, your price is too high. It is really that simple.

Old 04-21-2007, 06:19 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,739,729 times
Everyone's wising up and waiting for a property tax fix. Let's make it happen and you can all enjoy a higher standard of living in Florida!

Old 04-21-2007, 08:13 PM

67 posts, read 271,265 times
Quote:
In the neighborhood where I live in California, houses have not sold in over a year. -And more for sale signs keep appearing weekly, it seems. So, it's not just Florida. In fact, I'm moving in a week, and the house I'm presently renting will be up for sale, too.

I've lived in Florida before and have always knew I wanted to go back. I have been looking to buy a canal front home with one eye; and watching the insurance crisis unfold with the other. Recently, I found out that the insurance company that I would like to use will not underwrite a policy for me in Florida. With that, my quest for a Florida home has ended. My point to all of this is that even if there are willing buyers, the insurance crisis will present yet another obstacle.

Good luck to you all.

Old 04-21-2007, 08:18 PM
SKB

900 posts, read 3,497,513 times
Quote:

You can be assured that you are not alone, there are thousands of people in the same situation.
If you really want to move it, reduce it much lower than your comps and it will be sold. There are still some people that will purchase thinking they are getting a good deal and will be satisfied with that.
Others like me are waiting for the big reductions down the road as in 2008.

It is going to be a big decision for you, to take a larger loss and get your new house or just sell the land and forget about it.

Best of luck

SKB

Old 04-21-2007, 09:12 PM

42 posts, read 254,338 times
I agree that you have to lower the price below the comparables to sell right now. We are in the midst of negotiating a deal right now. Our home was on the market for five weeks but we listed it $15,000 below any comparable & the home is pristine.

Old 04-21-2007, 09:16 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,391,510 times
I was in your situation. I can relate totally, and actually had even less activity than you have had. I had 3 showings in 2 months! I was getting really nervous, since I had/have a deadline to sell. Then one weekend I put on my OWN open house and then out of the blue this couple came and put in an offer the next day after they saw it.

Closing is in 8 days (knock on wood). I consider myself lucky for being able to sell in about 9 weeks after listing. My neighbors next door have been trying to sell since October!!

I'm still nervous that something awful is going to happen though (they put down a small deposit) and they'll pull out..... so I'm only cautiously optimistic.

I'll write fully on the experience when it finally does close! It was a lot of hard work on my part, even though I had enlisted the help of an agent!

Old 04-21-2007, 09:19 PM

8 posts, read 34,630 times
I am in the same boat. We have had our house on the market since Sept. With 2 different real estates. They both gave us the same pitch. On how they could sell our house in 90 days. Well neither one did. We have come down $10,000 and still have showed it 2x in 8 months. Any suggestions?? We want to move North and can not make plans until we at least get someone to look. We have even posted in UK hoping the Bristish may be interested. Good luck to you...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida