Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 07:28 AM

55 posts, read 345,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenrein View Post
Are there any smaller towns around Ocala? I cannot seem to find any info on this site when I randomly look them up from a map
Go to this website and click on SiteMap then go to Marion County; it will give you the surrounding towns.

http://www.wearefla.com/ocala_real_estate_site_map.htm (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2007, 02:44 PM

156 posts, read 1,063,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynB View Post
Go to this website and click on SiteMap then go to Marion County; it will give you the surrounding towns.

http://www.wearefla.com/ocala_real_estate_site_map.htm (broken link)
Thank you!

Old 04-26-2007, 10:50 AM

378 posts, read 1,203,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenrein View Post
How about hurricane season there?
jenrein... Sorry, I missed your question to me re New Port Richey. During those two years of seemingly non-stop hurricanes, one was headed (can't recall the name of the storm) directly toward Tampa, then would have come to NPR. It swerved at the last minute, skipping Tampa, and went across FL and caused terrible damage. Tampa has not had one hit it for a lot of years.

The following year one lost all its strength but sailed right over us and into the Gulf, causing little damage.

You must realize that the storms can hit any part of Florida. We left NPR because of very high insurance and also not wanting to sweat out any more hurricanes. I still miss Florida, however.

Old 04-26-2007, 06:22 PM

3 posts, read 17,192 times
Parts of Ocala are beautiful. There are a lot of smaller towns around there. Belleview, Summerfield and out in the county near the National Forest.

Belleview is a popular choice for families with school age children. The schools are rated quite highly among the parents. Not sure about the official rating. Most Florida schools compare rather badly with up North.

You will find that the cost of owning (and renting) a home in and around Ocala will be a lot less than places closer to the coast. On an average home your insurance will be about 1/10th of that on a comparable home within a couple of miles of the coast. There are plenty of new homes for sale (just like everywhere else) Just be careful to check out the builder before you buy. Some of them have reputations for cheap/poor construction practices. Good luck to you. Florida is a fab place to live.

Old 04-27-2007, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimoJimo View Post
jenrein... Sorry, I missed your question to me re New Port Richey. During those two years of seemingly non-stop hurricanes, one was headed (can't recall the name of the storm) directly toward Tampa, then would have come to NPR. It swerved at the last minute, skipping Tampa, and went across FL and caused terrible damage. Tampa has not had one hit it for a lot of years.

The following year one lost all its strength but sailed right over us and into the Gulf, causing little damage.

You must realize that the storms can hit any part of Florida. We left NPR because of very high insurance and also not wanting to sweat out any more hurricanes. I still miss Florida, however.
Thank you for that insight. I just am afraid to settle somewhere that is a prime target for those hurricanes

Old 04-27-2007, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadleigh View Post
Parts of Ocala are beautiful. There are a lot of smaller towns around there. Belleview, Summerfield and out in the county near the National Forest.

Belleview is a popular choice for families with school age children. The schools are rated quite highly among the parents. Not sure about the official rating. Most Florida schools compare rather badly with up North.

You will find that the cost of owning (and renting) a home in and around Ocala will be a lot less than places closer to the coast. On an average home your insurance will be about 1/10th of that on a comparable home within a couple of miles of the coast. There are plenty of new homes for sale (just like everywhere else) Just be careful to check out the builder before you buy. Some of them have reputations for cheap/poor construction practices. Good luck to you. Florida is a fab place to live.

Belleview? Thank you- the schooling for me is the most important factor in deciding. How would I find info for near the National Forest? Is there a specific town listing?

Old 04-27-2007, 04:51 PM

11 posts, read 99,916 times
Hi Jen, My family and I are a total of 5 also and my name is Jen...too weird! Anywho, we are moving to Ocala. My husband is actually leaving tomorrow and staying for a few days. He has a few job interviews and will be securing a place to live. I know if you click on images under google and type in Ocala florida you will find photos of downtown.

I also know Silver Springs is next to it. Not sure what that entails other than the glass bottom boat trips.

Old 04-29-2007, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennster31 View Post
Hi Jen, My family and I are a total of 5 also and my name is Jen...too weird! Anywho, we are moving to Ocala. My husband is actually leaving tomorrow and staying for a few days. He has a few job interviews and will be securing a place to live. I know if you click on images under google and type in Ocala florida you will find photos of downtown.

I also know Silver Springs is next to it. Not sure what that entails other than the glass bottom boat trips.

How wierd! We might have to get in touch when we get there! I had an interview today for a job that is pretty much gauranteed to me. I just have to wait until the kiddos are done with school in June to go!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida