Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 09:01 AM

387 posts, read 1,593,189 times

Advertisements

Also - this may have been a small, sleepy, "Southern" town years ago - that's not the case anymore. Lots of immigrants, or so I assume, many do not speak English.

Also, referencing my previous post:

According to the 2000 Census:

Deltona - The per capita income for the city was $16,648. About 6.2% of families and 8.1% of the population were below the poverty line, including 10.6% of those under age 18 and 6.0% of those age 65 or over.

Lake Mary - The per capita income for the city was $31,094. 2.9% of the population and 2.5% of families were below the poverty line. 1.8% of those under the age of 18 and 3.6% of those 65 and older were living below the poverty line.

Unbelievable. That's Florida for you I suppose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2007, 12:11 PM

9 posts, read 59,280 times
I moved out of Deltona a year ago. 20 years ago I moved there as a single mom and it was a good place to raise kids. It is divided into 3 areas - the first was all small retirement homes, 2nd was newer homes and lots of empty lots, 3rd was practically empty of houses. All we had was 2 Winn Dixies and a KFC.
Now it might as well be Orlando. Hardly a tree left - they built and built and built. Traffic atrocious. Schools horrible. Known for it's drug and gang reputation. Some cashiers in the stores don't even speak English. Lots of crime. Sherriffs are bullies. Recent posts about graduating seniors not going on to college - how can they - most have been robbed of an education. Once they get out of high school, no jobs for them, most of them just drift from one low paying job to another. Rents are high. Zoning people go overboard to harass people about the dumbest things ( ex- a zoning guy came to my door and complained that I had a bowl of water on my front step for my cat - a $250. fine. I bent down and pulled the bowl inside - do they have nothing better to do?)
Haven't you heard of the Troy Victorrino murders? 6 young people and a dog brutally murdered over an Xbox game. That is where Deltona is headed. Very sad. It used to be a good community.

Old 09-15-2007, 07:38 PM

245 posts, read 298,356 times
Default If you are still looking...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrico90 View Post
Therefore, this is a small town for folks that wants a slow place to enjoy life? Maybe not the perfect town for a young family, but maybe better for an older couple? Just asking and comparing views...

Sunrico90
Deltona is a very bad place to live. Honest to god, I can't imagine a place I'd less like to live. I lived in Lake Helen, next door, and Lake Helen was trying to do everything it could to purchase land between the cities to act as a buffer, or to encourage the county to regulate development between the two in order to keep some delineation between the two.

Why? Because Deltona is bought and paid for by developers. If you lives up North, you've seen towns built with some ethic that says, "How can we make this a nice place to live." That ethic is as dead as dead gets in Deltona. The city doesn't even stand up for itself. When developers built and sold houses in swamps, the city wouldn't step in, because you don't want big bad government regulating things. So, who is left holding the bag? The city had to buy houses from people living in seasonal ponds. Essentially, that means the developers made a bunch of money and tax payers were left to pick up the pieces. That is how lame Deltona is, and nothing has changed. Developers have Deltona trying to grow its boundaries all of the time because of the development friendly environment.

As adults, you may be less concerned with schools, but you need to think about what bad schools means for the kinds if neighbors you will have. The picture ain't good. Lots of crime and poverty. An ugly, ugly place. Never felt safe there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida