U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 10:53 AM
SKB SKB started this thread

900 posts, read 3,325,459 times

Advertisements

I often notice advertisements listing "natural preserve" or "canal" as part of the listing. It seems like these two things are supposedly desirable?
I do not understand why someone would want loads of scrub, bushes and other "critter" hiding places close by. I also do not understand what the use is of a canal, it seems to me that living on a canal is an open invitation for an alligator to find it's way to your back door.
After my friend had those two alligators in his yard last week, I am starting to think I will only live far,far away from any water source what so ever.

Am I missing something here?

SKB
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2007, 11:03 AM

2,959 posts, read 12,771,547 times
Depending on where this property is listed, a natural prserve is desirable in that no other development will take place in that space. It makes for a lovely view as well. It is also used for marketing property. You really have to see the "natural preserve" because it too can cover a wide range of interpretation.

Being on a canel does not mean alligators. Depending on the width of the canal (some are narrow and some are quite wide) and depends on where. Some canals lead to a larger waterway, to the ocean, or nothing more than a mud pit - so you really need to see what this canal looks like. It is also used to market property.

Old 04-23-2007, 11:04 AM

8,190 posts, read 29,807,160 times
I lived "canal front" for 9 years. It was a seawalled canal, so gators would have had a very hard time getting into the yard. It was very peaceful to sit in the back yard by the water, especially after a rough day at the office. My husband had a 12 foot john boat that was perfect for the canal & he liked to take the dog out early in the morning to fish or just cruise with the trolling motor and look for eagles. Some of our neighbors had docks on the canal and had bigger boats. I had a large aquarium fish that ate "live" and it was nice to just take a net and go catch him some grass shrimp or minnows.

The nice thing about a preserve is that they won't be putting a new development full of McMansions on it. Green space and nature are kind of nice to have nearby.

Old 04-23-2007, 11:05 AM

1,418 posts, read 9,777,108 times
Yep, I'd pay a pretty big premium to live next to "loads of scrub, bushes, critters, and alligators" in place of nosey neighbors.

Old 04-23-2007, 11:32 AM
SKB SKB started this thread

900 posts, read 3,325,459 times
Thanks people, I have become so paranoid about the alligator situation that I do not even want to live by a man made lake.
I need to face my fears and head over to the alligator "petting" farm for a day of fun and interaction.

Old 04-23-2007, 11:58 AM

8,190 posts, read 29,807,160 times
In all of the years that I have lived in FL I have only actually seen 2 gators in the wild with my own 2 eyes. They are more active during mating season, but really not very bothersome the rest of the year. The media likes to show the giant gator that finds itself surrounded by people after snoozing in the shade under someone's carport. They don't tell you about all of the gators that mind their own business.

Old 04-23-2007, 12:24 PM

8,204 posts, read 33,805,050 times
Default Love it!

I have a home that backs up to a nature preserve/conservation area (will never be built on), and I absolutely love it.

My main living area, great room, is positioned to look straight out to the preserve through oversized sliding glass doors (a glass wall really), so it's like having a living wall of green. It feels like I am out in the country, but I'm in the middle of the city.

Mine doesn't look "scrubby" at all, it's mostly hardwood and softwood trees with a dense front hedge of palmettos. The palmettos stay green year round, they sway and rustle in the wind and sound wonderful in the rain.

I have many more opportunties to view wildlife because I am on the edge of the woods. Every day I see countless birds including raptors, hear grey fox (and see them on occassion!) and lizards and toads galore.

No issue with gators. I have dogs, so my yard is fully fenced - wooden privacy on the sides and black metal across the back (don't want to block "the view"!).

Not to mention the preserve is a noise buffer (so quiet!), air cleaner, a great place to watch the sun set......and no neighbors to look at!

Developers charge a premium for lots that are on preserves, and I think it's well worth it.

Old 04-23-2007, 12:24 PM

9,324 posts, read 25,220,476 times
Any property in Florida not adjoining a home or business is a big deal. Just knowing that you will never have any neighbors on that side is a big plus in a place where any buildable property will be filled with development.

Old 04-23-2007, 12:36 PM

8,204 posts, read 33,805,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Any property in Florida not adjoining a home or business is a big deal. Just knowing that you will never have any neighbors on that side is a big plus in a place where any buildable property will be filled with development.
Yeah, I'm finding it hard to pull myself away from this property because of the preserve. I thought I'd build it and sell after 2 years, but 2 years have passed. "The plan" is still to sell....but I don't know....I love the green!

Old 04-23-2007, 12:40 PM

2,313 posts, read 2,750,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKB View Post
I often notice advertisements listing "natural preserve" or "canal" as part of the listing. It seems like these two things are supposedly desirable?
I do not understand why someone would want loads of scrub, bushes and other "critter" hiding places close by. I also do not understand what the use is of a canal, it seems to me that living on a canal is an open invitation for an alligator to find it's way to your back door.
After my friend had those two alligators in his yard last week, I am starting to think I will only live far,far away from any water source what so ever.

Am I missing something here?

SKB
I just sold a lot last year that backed up to a preserve. I got about $30,000 more then similar lots on the other side of the complex. When I bought it from the developer they were all selling for about the same price. My lot turned out to be a better investment. As far as a canal, I have no use for them unless they connect up with really nice lake or have ocean access. They do create a buffer behind the house and give an automatic distance between you and the neighbor on the other side that can't be encroached.

The worst are canals that were created do build up low lying land. Same with places you see on man made lakes. They dig the lakes to fill in swamp land so they can build. No to mention anything else they could stick there to build it up. I saw a place where they unearthed a bunch of tires while digging a swimming pool that had been used for fill No wonder so many houses have cracks running all through them, you just never know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida