U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2009, 11:39 AM

843 posts, read 1,600,643 times

Advertisements

We are relocating to FL in the near future. We are looking to get a new car soon and are wondering how would it work if we buy the car here, drive it down with temporary tags and then register it in FL. Would we be required to pay FL sales tax? We just don't want to register the car twice in a matter of weeks.

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2009, 01:55 PM

1,080 posts, read 4,366,688 times
Default Registration Increases

Florida registration for all cars goes up Sept. 1st. Some rates are a whopping 117 percent increase.

Old 08-02-2009, 02:27 PM

10,774 posts, read 19,119,528 times
For new cars, Florida has reciprocal sales tax agreements, so you should only have to pay that tax once. Hold onto all relevant paperwork carefully so you only have to pay the difference and not the whole tax over again.

Florida DHSMV - New Residents

Quote:
You bought it less than six months ago
If the motor vehicle was purchased and used less than six months in another state, territory of the United States or the District of Columbia, the full amount of the six percent Florida sales or use tax and local discretionary sales surtax is required. However, that is offset by the sales tax you paid in the prior jurisdiction. For example, if you owe 6% to Florida, but you paid 4% to another state, you will only owe 2% to Florida.
Either way, they'll also hit you with a $100 fee in addition to the annual fee the first time you register a car/truck/SUV in the state. When you sell a car here, hold onto the old plate and put it on the new vehicle. If you're transferring a plate from a vehicle you've 'disposed of' (ie. junked or sold) to your new vehicle, then you don't have to pay that $100 again.

Old 08-02-2009, 02:39 PM

1,310 posts, read 2,868,351 times
And get ready to pay ALOT more for car insurance in Florida too . I guess the statistics show Florida is a higher than average accident prone State . (maybe due to the large elderly population and tourists not familiar with the local roads ???)

Old 08-02-2009, 03:10 PM

1,468 posts, read 4,449,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVlover View Post
And get ready to pay ALOT more for car insurance in Florida too . I guess the statistics show Florida is a higher than average accident prone State . (maybe due to the large elderly population and tourists not familiar with the local roads ???)
I think it depends on where you live in the state. Car insurance will be a lot more if you live in Dade county then if you live in say Liberty county. I was told my health Insurance would drop by 30% if I move to Washington county from Broward. It's all just numbers.

Old 08-02-2009, 03:15 PM

10,774 posts, read 19,119,528 times
It's also the whole how the actuaries calculate the odds of a particular type of vehicle making a claim. Weird to see my insurance go down when I swapped a Corolla for a Subaru Outback, even though the Outback is twice as expensive of a car.

Old 08-02-2009, 05:31 PM

6,103 posts, read 14,072,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merjolie8 View Post
We are relocating to FL in the near future. We are looking to get a new car soon and are wondering how would it work if we buy the car here, drive it down with temporary tags and then register it in FL. Would we be required to pay FL sales tax? We just don't want to register the car twice in a matter of weeks.

Thanks!
I recently bought a car and drove it down on temporary tags and got it registered and licensed there.
You need to have all the title work, and you need to have the car insured in Florida with the proof of insurance certificate with you as well when you register.

For me the tax was less than here, and the car insurance was less than here as well.

Oh, and while I was at it, I also got my Florida drivers license as well.

Old 08-10-2012, 11:13 AM

1 posts, read 3,502 times
My son is in the military and bought a new car in Las Vegas nevada and he drove to Los angeles, in his new assignment and wanted to registered in California. What is the process and how long it will take for him to get all the paperwork done from the dealership it's been 10 days now and his paper work still not showing in the DMV where he wants to register.

Old 08-10-2012, 07:19 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,181,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by egaguilar View Post
My son is in the military and bought a new car in Las Vegas nevada and he drove to Los angeles, in his new assignment and wanted to registered in California. What is the process and how long it will take for him to get all the paperwork done from the dealership it's been 10 days now and his paper work still not showing in the DMV where he wants to register.
Uh... try posting this question in the California forum..

Old 08-13-2012, 07:23 AM

199 posts, read 496,276 times
Don't forget that the first set of license plates cost $500.00
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida