Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2009, 08:57 AM

2,414 posts, read 5,400,759 times

Advertisements

If you listen to local Florida radio you know these places are advertised constantly.

I've never been there, but have any posters shopped there, and did you get a good deal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2009, 09:36 AM

976 posts, read 1,111,798 times
^^^ Hey, we went looking once. The fridges that we looked at, looked like they fall off the truck on the highway. Almost all. The washer and dryers seemed to be in much better shape though. I guess it depends on what you're looking for. Also, if you have built-ins (which most ppl do, if the scratches/dings are on the side, it probably wont matter too much. But for us, if we are gonna spend $900 on a SS fridge with dents and scratches, we are willing to spend a few hundred dollars more to get one in perfect condition.

Old 08-04-2009, 04:40 AM

917 posts, read 2,615,281 times
The key here is to be in the store when a delivery arrives to get first pick. I picked up a nice GE Profile SS fridge that I could never afford otherwise. I don't mind the few minor dents on the doors. Unfortunately the Ice maker has never worked and I never followed up on getting it fixed. I also have a Whirlpool Duet washer and dryer set with small scratches on the plastic doors that have been working just fine and a GE Monogram built in dishwasher (that gets a cabinet door attached to the front, so who will see the scratches?)
Appliance Direct had opened a new location and had tractor trailers arriving several times a day with "new" items. People (myself included) would wait for the stuff to come off the back of the truck and lay clam to it. When you spotted what you wanted, you would have to get a salesman to write it up and put a "sold" sticker on it, before someone else did. The whole experience was addicting and there were definitely bargains to be had.

Old 08-04-2009, 06:17 AM

2,414 posts, read 5,400,759 times
thanks. I want to check it out. Is "scratch and dent world" the name of an actual store, or just a name they use for their periodic sales?

Old 08-04-2009, 07:09 AM

1,639 posts, read 5,099,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlandoRE_Miracle View Post
thanks. I want to check it out. Is "scratch and dent world" the name of an actual store, or just a name they use for their periodic sales?
Yes that's the name of the one in Altamonte Springs (if it's still there)

Old 08-04-2009, 08:48 AM

976 posts, read 1,111,798 times
There's also one on 50, around the Dean Rd area...

Old 08-05-2009, 10:15 AM

3,043 posts, read 7,709,754 times
Also don't forget to check Craigs List. We just picked up a SS fridge and dishwasher; both for the price of $400....(and, yes - they work ) There are a lot of foreclosure distress sales right now.

Old 08-06-2009, 08:31 AM

1,194 posts, read 4,126,903 times
A short distance from our SE Florida home is a Sears scratch n dent store and while living in PA we used them a few times.. Some appliances looked to be perfect shape while others looked as if they were ready for the junkyard crusher due to the size of the dents...

Maybe there is one near you that may have reasonably priced NEW but scratched appliances you may find adequate....

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: