Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2007, 04:06 PM

2,227 posts, read 8,186,024 times

Advertisements

happeemomee, i lived in nc for a while too. i know what you mean, as i have witnessed it as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2007, 06:44 PM

553 posts, read 1,929,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jqzimm View Post
I am from Florida native, born and raised the South East Florida. I love Florida, I always have. My husband is from Indiana and we lived there for several years. I hated it no sun for months. All I wanted was to move back to Florida, and we did 9 years ago, to the west coast Sarasota area, because at that time it was affordable and my husband was offered a good job. Every thing has change in the last 5 years. You can not afford to live here even with both us workin50 hours a week and making $90,000 a year. Our wages have not gone up in 5 years, but the cost of every thing housing, transportation, insurance, health care, utilities and more has gone through the roof. The crime rate is way too high for the size of the area, the people are so rude, and employers care nothing about there employees, it has gotten very depressing we live 20 minutes from the beach, but never get to go because all we do is work and now we are having Gang problems at the BEACH!

We are thinking of moving to East Texas, I have heard that they have mild weather and the people are supposed to be nicer there and a better job market and more affordable living. I really don't want to leave Florida, but living here has become do difficult I don't know if we can stay!

There is one thing I must say about Florida. people come here from every where and have trashed the place for everyone. They can drive, try to escape their other life in another state, bring there bad attitudes, bad driving, drug problems, gang influence and child sexual predators here. It is very rarely that the people who do these thing are actually from Florida.

Then you have the people that come here from places like Ny or Michigan and complain about every thing in Florida but the weather. The great weather has always been here, and Florida would still be a great place if people would treat it with respect, but it's too late now. These are just a few reason that someone who love their state as much as I do feel the need to leave it.
Hi you should not lump everyone together from NY and Michigan. I am from NY and love florida not just the weather. I grew up on long island and when I was growing up it was more like the country I grew up by the water and the people were all working class people most worked on the water digging clams as a child that is one of the things I wanted to do. I did that for years but now sadly that is no longer an option.You see the place I loved is no longer there and I think you will find that in alot of places you look,it is just the way it is now the town I grew up in there is nothing but wanna be rich people heck you cant even go down to the town dock and go crabbing they have guards that chase you away.
I know alot of you folks hate haveing people intrude on you but they have done that everywhere and not all of us moving to Florida complain some love the wildlife and water. I know that the crime and illegals have intruded but it has here as well and I am sure in Texas too,because it has everywhere else.
Be carefull where you go It is not always how it seems.I have friends that moved to Tennessee because it was cheaper I dont think they are home enough to even enjoy the new big house they bought because of how much they work. You will be surprised how many couples all over work like you guys do I know it is not just florida,sad to say I think it is just the way it is now. So if you really love your state dont bail out because these problems are all over and if it is not it will be there soon. unless it is so undesireable no one wants to go there.Anyway sorry for going on but becarefull before you jump into moving.Take care. P.S. those child predators did not all come from up north check Texas I am sure they have there share.

Old 07-20-2007, 08:25 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,960,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jqzimm View Post
There is one thing I must say about Florida. people come here from every where and have trashed the place for everyone. They can drive, try to escape their other life in another state, bring there bad attitudes, bad driving, drug problems, gang influence and child sexual predators here. It is very rarely that the people who do these thing are actually from Florida.

Then you have the people that come here from places like Ny or Michigan and complain about every thing in Florida but the weather.

I have read threads from just about every state and I have to say the main thing in common is that the natives from virtually every state complain about those moving in. Floridians complain about the northeners. NC complains about the Floridians, etc etc... I think that we are all just looking for some place we feel connected, and where we can raise our kids and not have to worry about too much crime. We are all looking for basically the same things. And when one person finds "paradise" they tell their friends and then they tell their friends and so on. Yes, the grass is always greener and of course, there are problems everywhere because no where is perfect, and I think it's just easier to blame those moving in, because the attitudes and ways of doing things comes along with the newcomers and it couldn't possibily be one of your own doing whatever (committing the crime, destroying the environment, whatever the offense). However, I think we should all take a step back and learn from each other. Just because someone hasn't lived in a particular area their entire lives, does not mean their point or suggestion of "how they do things at home" is not valid!

I have to admit though, that if and when I find that perfect place, I"M NOT TELLIN ANYONE!!!

Old 07-21-2007, 01:16 AM

776 posts, read 1,664,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiblue View Post
The way I look at it John, is that if they want to think of NC that way, great! Less people coming up and complaining about the change of seasons and the fact that they actually moved to the true south where people don't feel the need to be anonymous.

Newsflash to anyone from FL thinking of moving to western NC. Yes, the area is gorgeous in the summer, but there are mountains and NC gets a winter. It is typically cold in the mountains during that time of year, rural in the mountains, and people are there whose families have lived there for generations. No one can really complain that western NC isn't like where you came from in FL and they aren't willing to change their way of life to accommodate. Surprise, surprise!

Of course the grass isn't greener, we actually get seasons up here. I know I have personally made some friends in just a year's time who I know I can count on. I have yet to meet a backstabber - but I was well schooled on how to spot those growing up in Miami, so I guess I have an advantage at being able to pick them out and avoid them to begin with. <shrug>

[sarcasm]NC is cold and backward! Stay where it's warm and there's lots of palm trees![/sarcasm] I'm certainly not going to defend any place to people who complain about things they should have already been aware of when they made the decision to move...whether it's somewhere in FL, NC, HI or wherever.
I agree that western NC is a dramatic change for most folks coming especially from urban parts of Florida or even the Raleigh area. People might not be ready for cold gray winters, rural settings or lack of easy access to everyday needs they are accustomed to. Also takes a very long time winding through the mountains on small roads to get about anywhere outside of Asheville..

I would like to hear comments from folks familiar with places out west like Boulder, Colorado Springs or Salt Lake City areas that seem to have the perfect blend of easy interestate access, an urban setting yet spectacular mountain scenery with a tranquil atmosphere in a sunny dry four season climate and how that compares to living in Florida or western NC..

Old 07-21-2007, 06:58 AM

1,408 posts, read 5,081,899 times
I wish someone would explain why they would move to an area without knowing anything about it! It's one thing if a job transfer requires a move, but for those who choose to move then find their expectations are overrated, I simply do not understand.

It's true that you're not really going to "know" the people until you've been there a while, but why should cold grey winters surprise someone? You can get weather averages on weather.com showing what it's like over a 12 month period.

Maybe the decisions were just made too quickly after a vacation or something that gave a brighter perspective than reality.

Old 07-21-2007, 09:47 AM

when i lived in nc, i knew it got cold, but i didnt know it was going to be grey and overcast all the time. it's better when it's sunny when it's so cold out.

Old 07-21-2007, 10:54 AM

129 posts, read 487,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_TN_Nana View Post
I wish someone would explain why they would move to an area without knowing anything about it! It's one thing if a job transfer requires a move, but for those who choose to move then find their expectations are overrated, I simply do not understand.

It's true that you're not really going to "know" the people until you've been there a while, but why should cold grey winters surprise someone? You can get weather averages on weather.com showing what it's like over a 12 month period.

Maybe the decisions were just made too quickly after a vacation or something that gave a brighter perspective than reality.
In our case, we moved because my father was terminally ill and we needed to be with him. We had already been checking out different parts of NC, all within two hours or so, but figured we needed to be closer to Daddy. After he passed, we couldn't leave my mother alone, so we stayed. With all that had been going on in the short 7 to 8 months we had been here, we hadn't really spent a lot of time out of the hospitals. Also, that first winter was a lot different from those that followed. We actually talked about leaving then, but again, how could we leave my mother?

It's been 9 years now and I have wanted to leave for probably 6 of them. The winters are now just cold, but we hardly ever get more than a dusting of snow. I love the cold and the snow, and the gray days don't bother me, so I actually want MORE snow! And then there are the issues with the other people. One of my daughters has been playing sports with the same kids since elementary school, she is now a junior. I am at every game, whether here or away, and I can think of ONE time that someone spoke to me without me initiating the conversation, unless I was taking my turn working the snack bar. . It's not that they are rude, they just don't feel the need to speak. Not complaining, just explaining. There are a hundred other reasons I could give, but this is already long.

Again, I am not complaining or whining, I am just telling you my reasons. I'm sure we will still vacation here, because the area itself is beautiful and it is a great spot to enjoy quiet and a slower pace of life, but I suggest for others considering the move here, think long and hard about it! And unloess you bring your Florida friends with you, once you are living here you will see a completely different side to the area.

Old 07-21-2007, 10:56 AM

129 posts, read 487,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtofla View Post
happeemomee, i lived in nc for a while too. i know what you mean, as i have witnessed it as well.
What part of NC were you in?

Old 07-21-2007, 11:05 AM

184 posts, read 860,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_TN_Nana View Post

I totally agree. I read on here where someone was considering Charleston, South Carolina over Florida???? I'm seriously telling you that would not be a place I'd recommend!!
Those of you who live down in South Florida with smaller children, I'd suggest you visit the Western panhandle. Schools up that way are MUCH better than the rest of Florida especially Okaloosa county. Also, Pensacola has surrounding smaller towns that are more cost effective than the "city" would be. You have other options in Florida and the Panhandle just might be suited for you. It's a great family atmosphere and lots of things to do. Real sense of community in places like Navarre, Fort Walton, Destin, Niceville, Crestview, actually alot of communities there.
But if you are determined to move out of Florida because of high housing cost, you really should consider the Dallas Fort Worth metroplex. Check out their cost of homes! San Antonio, Texas is another beautiful city with many many amenities and wonderful people!

Old 07-21-2007, 05:08 PM

goinggreen, i lived in the asheville area
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida