U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2007, 04:30 PM

1,408 posts, read 5,040,584 times

Advertisements

Goinggreene:

It seems as if you made the move for reasons other than it was pretty in the fall...and God bless you for caring for your parents.

I really hope you can get back to a place you want to be...sounds like you deserve it.

Your last paragraph above was great advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2007, 04:51 PM

1,599 posts, read 2,909,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtofla View Post
goinggreen, i lived in the asheville area
Hey Back to Fla!
Just wondering what you didn't like about Ashville. I always thought it sounded like an area I would love. Artsy, lots to do, beautiful scenery, etc. What didn't you like?

Old 07-21-2007, 05:05 PM

3,256 posts, read 8,804,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMom72 View Post
and the MidWest (Minnesota, Michigan,etc.). When we were looking at condos, that is where the people selling were going back to. They were all retired people who were going back home.
My cousin just advised me her husband is losing his job end of August because of the poor economy in Michigan. They will probably end up in Carolinas or Georgia.

Old 07-21-2007, 09:12 PM

2,227 posts, read 8,112,634 times
Default songgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by songgirl View Post
Hey Back to Fla!
Just wondering what you didn't like about Ashville. I always thought it sounded like an area I would love. Artsy, lots to do, beautiful scenery, etc. What didn't you like?

asheville is okay, it just wasnt for me. i lived in fla before and always missed it. if you like artsy stuff i guess it has that. the scenery is really nice as far as mtns and such. if i were ever to return there, i'd pick somewhere else such as greenville, sc or charlotte area before i'd ever return to asheville. it's kind of an odd city, a lof of wierd ppl are attracted to asheville --- especially gays. not that i have anything against gays, but there are a lot of them. it is very touristy. pretty much anyone can fit in b/c almost everyone is from somewhere else anyway.

jobs are kind of hard to come by, and pay is not too good unless you are in the medical field, or perhaps own your own business.

as far as traffic and crime, the traffic isnt bad at all compared to major cities. crime is relatively low, but i think it is probably above average for a city of it's size. but if you live in tampa, orlando, miami, west palm bch or ft myers, crime would seem less obviously.

the cost of living is really rising, and with so many ppl moving there from all over the u.s., it will probably continue to increase.

as far as things to do, i found it do be pretty boring. ppl really enjoy the scenery there, but i cant just look at the mtns for very long. as far as hiking or mtn bike riding, i'd rather pick up a surf board and go to the beach, or fish. but that's me, my interests match up better here in fla than they did in western nc.

Old 07-21-2007, 09:25 PM

1,599 posts, read 2,909,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtofla View Post
asheville is okay, it just wasnt for me. i lived in fla before and always missed it. if you like artsy stuff i guess it has that. the scenery is really nice as far as mtns and such. if i were ever to return there, i'd pick somewhere else such as greenville, sc or charlotte area before i'd ever return to asheville. it's kind of an odd city, a lof of wierd ppl are attracted to asheville --- especially gays. not that i have anything against gays, but there are a lot of them. it is very touristy. pretty much anyone can fit in b/c almost everyone is from somewhere else anyway.

jobs are kind of hard to come by, and pay is not too good unless you are in the medical field, or perhaps own your own business.

as far as traffic and crime, the traffic isnt bad at all compared to major cities. crime is relatively low, but i think it is probably above average for a city of it's size. but if you live in tampa, orlando, miami, west palm bch or ft myers, crime would seem less obviously.

the cost of living is really rising, and with so many ppl moving there from all over the u.s., it will probably continue to increase.

as far as things to do, i found it do be pretty boring. ppl really enjoy the scenery there, but i cant just look at the mtns for very long. as far as hiking or mtn bike riding, i'd rather pick up a surf board and go to the beach, or fish. but that's me, my interests match up better here in fla than they did in western nc.

Thanks BackTo Fla. I've heard that a lot from people who left Florida for NC. It's beautiful, a little cheaper (for the time being), but it gets boring after awhile. With all of it's problems, there's one thing that Florida is not, and that's Boring!

Old 07-21-2007, 10:35 PM

1 posts, read 1,857 times
We move from Buffalo to Ft. Myers, missed the change of Seasons and moved to Charlotte, N.C. for 15 months. ICE STORMS sent us back to Fl. for 12 yrs. We are retired, on a fixed income. Fl has become too expensive with the home-owners insurance and taxes and now health insurance sky rocketing. We need to move but don't know where to. Biggest problem is finding health insurance for me (age 60), husband is 78.Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Old 07-21-2007, 11:10 PM

778 posts, read 1,641,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trocaire View Post
We move from Buffalo to Ft. Myers, missed the change of Seasons and moved to Charlotte, N.C. for 15 months. ICE STORMS sent us back to Fl. for 12 yrs. We are retired, on a fixed income. Fl has become too expensive with the home-owners insurance and taxes and now health insurance sky rocketing. We need to move but don't know where to. Biggest problem is finding health insurance for me (age 60), husband is 78.Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

If you want to avoid winters, any ice and high costs of living a bit inland from the coast you have choices where the low temp in Jan is somewhat higher than in Charlotte and you might find a palm tree or two. Some I'll quickly name of decent size:

Valdosta and Savannah GA
Baton Rouge, LA
Austin, San Antonio and The Woodlands (exhurb of metro Houston), TX (with high RE taxes a negative)
might also look in northern FL perhaps Ocala, Gainesville, Tallahassee

Old 07-22-2007, 10:44 PM

88 posts, read 261,545 times
Backtofl
I live in east Orlando, Waterford Lakes area. I thought you lived in northern Florida. This place has just changed so much in the last few years. It's really sad. We had cows in pastures when we moved here 6 years ago now they're gone making way for shopping centers.

Last edited by moonbeam; 07-22-2007 at 10:53 PM.. Reason: put a name in it

Old 07-22-2007, 10:52 PM

88 posts, read 261,545 times
Default Dueling banjoes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BahamaBreeze View Post
Remember the dueling banjos in Deliverence:
Dueling Banjos - Google Video
or for the movie version:
The original dueling banjos

Of course, there are certain parts of Cirtrus County, Levy, Marion...in Fl that I'd watch my behind also.
That is too funnny. No, the banjo people are definitely in and around New Castle, Virginia. Way to go, Bahamabreeze.

Old 07-23-2007, 07:52 AM

5,244 posts, read 16,142,210 times
Default Living our dream in Tennessee

We left Naples, Florida for middle Tennessee. We found an amazing very small town of 200 people an hour from Murfreesboro. The cost of living is unbeatable. The people are friendly and helpful. The schools, though they have an almost zero budget have phenomenal teachers and administrators and the kids just love it. Taxes are so low they aren't even worth talking about, as well as homeowners insurance. I just had no clue that you could live someplace like this - that it even existed anymore. The best way I can think of to describe it is stepping back in time.

We've found since moving here that many people from Florida have moved this way. But they've also been moving to Maine. We're looking into some property on the ocean up there to put up a summer home and they said there are a bunch of Floridians moving there too.

Sounds like everyone is in the middle of a mass exodus!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida