Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2007, 10:50 AM

1,408 posts, read 5,082,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trocaire View Post
We move from Buffalo to Ft. Myers, missed the change of Seasons and moved to Charlotte, N.C. for 15 months. ICE STORMS sent us back to Fl. for 12 yrs. We are retired, on a fixed income. Fl has become too expensive with the home-owners insurance and taxes and now health insurance sky rocketing. We need to move but don't know where to. Biggest problem is finding health insurance for me (age 60), husband is 78.Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

You might want to consider Tennessee - particularly the southern part of Middle Tennessee. Housing is still affordable, taxes are much lower than FL, basically cost of living is lower all the way around. East TN is getting more expensive all the time it seems.

Someone else posted this website a few days ago and it can give you a general idea of COL differences: Cost of Living - Cost of Living Calculator from CNNMoney

Just get an Atlas or other map and do some searches for homes and I think you'll see a big difference. Obviously only a few mid. Tn. cities are listed in the above website, but choose one that is close to where you may be interested.

It does get cold in winter but it doesn't last particularly long.

I have no idea where to tell you to look for health insurance. That could get expensive anywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2007, 12:01 PM

553 posts, read 1,929,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
We left Naples, Florida for middle Tennessee. We found an amazing very small town of 200 people an hour from Murfreesboro. The cost of living is unbeatable. The people are friendly and helpful. The schools, though they have an almost zero budget have phenomenal teachers and administrators and the kids just love it. Taxes are so low they aren't even worth talking about, as well as homeowners insurance. I just had no clue that you could live someplace like this - that it even existed anymore. The best way I can think of to describe it is stepping back in time.

We've found since moving here that many people from Florida have moved this way. But they've also been moving to Maine. We're looking into some property on the ocean up there to put up a summer home and they said there are a bunch of Floridians moving there too.

Sounds like everyone is in the middle of a mass exodus!!
Dont get to excited what do you think will happen there if it is that great? sorry but the same thing that happens everywhere else that is cheap and nice. and Tennessee is no secret alot of people from N.Y. are heading there also.Enjoy while it lasts oh yea be carefull someplaces over there hate outsiders. I can hear the banjos playing lol.

Old 07-23-2007, 12:03 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,651,377 times
Quote:
We left Naples, Florida for middle Tennessee. We found an amazing very small town of 200 people an hour from Murfreesboro. The cost of living is unbeatable. The people are friendly and helpful. The schools, though they have an almost zero budget have phenomenal teachers and administrators and the kids just love it. Taxes are so low they aren't even worth talking about, as well as homeowners insurance. I just had no clue that you could live someplace like this - that it even existed anymore. The best way I can think of to describe it is stepping back in time.

We've found since moving here that many people from Florida have moved this way. But they've also been moving to Maine. We're looking into some property on the ocean up there to put up a summer home and they said there are a bunch of Floridians moving there too.

It goes to show that when people are happy they do better work. Do you see the huge gap between rich and poor like you saw in Naples? Also having all that open country and the freedom to move around seems to help people feel less squeezed.

Old 07-23-2007, 12:32 PM

553 posts, read 1,929,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
It goes to show that when people are happy they do better work. Do you see the huge gap between rich and poor like you saw in Naples? Also having all that open country and the freedom to move around seems to help people feel less squeezed.
I have been there and there are some quite expensive areas very rich in some spots,and very poor in others but you do have middle of the road there where naples I really could not find any middle class to speak off. Problem is work, my friend has to drive an hour to nashville for work unless you work in waffle house that is what most will do. Like anywhere else the closer you get to water or work the more expensive it becomes. I loved hendersonville around the lake but the prices were very high. take care

Old 07-23-2007, 03:15 PM

1,999 posts, read 1,647,589 times
Quote:

There is no mass exodus, the numbers do not show that at all, if fact just on this board since I joined there are far more 12 to be exact that have or are moving to Fla, only 1 has left that I know of.

In fact you will see a MASS ENTRY into Florida once the real estate market settles to realistic values, I for one will be there buying once the properties go back to the price they are suppose to be.

I travel to Florida at least once per month and more and I see it growing even more in the furture.

There is no statistic I have ever seen that presents a mass exodus, I do know for every person who leaves there is one and many more moving into Florida.

My personal opinion is that those who leave always bash it because they couldnt make it in Florida anymore and had to leave. Its not all Florida fault people couldnt make it in Florida, when I leave Ohio I sure wont be spending my time bashing Ohio, I will spending my time telling all of you who have left thanks for moving over and letting me enjoy something you are missing out on. ( or never knew how to enjoy it )

The 9 people who I communicate with on this board ALL ARE new to Florida and love it, not one of them dislike the move, in fact several of them have told me that many of those same posters who do nothing but bash Florida have been proven wrong, many of them expected all this bad stuff and they have not seen it as posted here.

I would like to know the REAL reason certain people are leaving Florida, not because of crime, its everywhere, not because of the heat, you moved there or lived there, its not because you got greedy and didnt sell your house for 4 times the value, then what is it?

Besides I know east Tenn, it is just like Florida, some good areas and some bad areas and it aint no Florida, that is for sure.

if you enjoyed Oceans in Florida you will NOT like oceans in Maine, might as well go to a lake or something and you can only swim in the ocean in Maine 3 months out of the year. Not a good move at all.

Besides Conn and Maine are more expensive to own then in Florida.

It is sad to see people post nothing but bad things about Florida when you know down deep you would love to still be there.

All kidding aside, as beautiful as others states are like NC, Vir, SC, Tenn, you are not going to anything better when you move there from Florida, you are just moving away from a paradise that you dont see.

Old 07-23-2007, 06:27 PM

6,565 posts, read 14,250,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridabound09 View Post
There is no mass exodus, the numbers do not show that at all, if fact just on this board since I joined there are far more 12 to be exact that have or are moving to Fla, only 1 has left that I know of.

In fact you will see a MASS ENTRY into Florida once the real estate market settles to realistic values, I for one will be there buying once the properties go back to the price they are suppose to be.

I travel to Florida at least once per month and more and I see it growing even more in the furture.

There is no statistic I have ever seen that presents a mass exodus, I do know for every person who leaves there is one and many more moving into Florida.

My personal opinion is that those who leave always bash it because they couldnt make it in Florida anymore and had to leave. Its not all Florida fault people couldnt make it in Florida, when I leave Ohio I sure wont be spending my time bashing Ohio, I will spending my time telling all of you who have left thanks for moving over and letting me enjoy something you are missing out on. ( or never knew how to enjoy it )

The 9 people who I communicate with on this board ALL ARE new to Florida and love it, not one of them dislike the move, in fact several of them have told me that many of those same posters who do nothing but bash Florida have been proven wrong, many of them expected all this bad stuff and they have not seen it as posted here.

I would like to know the REAL reason certain people are leaving Florida, not because of crime, its everywhere, not because of the heat, you moved there or lived there, its not because you got greedy and didnt sell your house for 4 times the value, then what is it?

Besides I know east Tenn, it is just like Florida, some good areas and some bad areas and it aint no Florida, that is for sure.

if you enjoyed Oceans in Florida you will NOT like oceans in Maine, might as well go to a lake or something and you can only swim in the ocean in Maine 3 months out of the year. Not a good move at all.

Besides Conn and Maine are more expensive to own then in Florida.

It is sad to see people post nothing but bad things about Florida when you know down deep you would love to still be there.

All kidding aside, as beautiful as others states are like NC, Vir, SC, Tenn, you are not going to anything better when you move there from Florida, you are just moving away from a paradise that you dont see.
ROFLMAO!!! Can't stand anything that paints this picture can you??

Yes, HERE YE HERE YE!!!! According to the scientific data of..... City-Data.com's message board... twelve times more people are moving into Florida than out...

Ummmmmm, gonna go out on a limb and guess that more people post in a message board for a place they're moving to than away from. C'mon FB I've been good and left a lot of the rah rah crap alone, but this is rediculous....

Yes there's an exodus out of Florida to the Mid-Atlantic just like there's a constant one from Michigan, Ohio, New York and New Jersey (among other "cold" states to Florida.....

Seminole County, where I recently left, experienced a NEGATIVE student growth in it's schools for the first time in decades last year. NUMEROUS stats showing that more moving trucks from three major van lines are going the OTHER way. Again, the gravy train in Florida is over and those who were luke warm on the state to begin with are up and leaving..... Doesn't mean that it isn't still fabulous for the frozen people who think paradise is hot and humid virtually year-round, but don't deny or ignore half of what is occurring there. It isn't fair.

Oh, and anything about real estate is purely speculative. You know that. Just as easy to say the "exodus" to places like Asheville will pick up when this same correction that you're waiting for occurrs there, no???

Old 07-23-2007, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by not a member View Post
Yes rural Tennessee is cheaper COL than Naples. It has been for decades. In related news, Kia's are cheaper than Porsche's.
Well to many it's more like VWs being cheaper than Audis when they're made by the same manufacturer (speaking to similar quality of life as far as many are concerned.) ...

Old 07-23-2007, 07:13 PM

1,999 posts, read 1,647,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAFury View Post
ROFLMAO!!! Can't stand anything that paints this picture can you??

Yes, HERE YE HERE YE!!!! According to the scientific data of..... City-Data.com's message board... twelve times more people are moving into Florida than out...

Ummmmmm, gonna go out on a limb and guess that more people post in a message board for a place they're moving to than away from. C'mon FB I've been good and left a lot of the rah rah crap alone, but this is rediculous....

Yes there's an exodus out of Florida to the Mid-Atlantic just like there's a constant one from Michigan, Ohio, New York and New Jersey (among other "cold" states to Florida.....

Seminole County, where I recently left, experienced a NEGATIVE student growth in it's schools for the first time in decades last year. NUMEROUS stats showing that more moving trucks from three major van lines are going the OTHER way. Again, the gravy train in Florida is over and those who were luke warm on the state to begin with are up and leaving..... Doesn't mean that it isn't still fabulous for the frozen people who think paradise is hot and humid virtually year-round, but don't deny or ignore half of what is occurring there. It isn't fair.

Oh, and anything about real estate is purely speculative. You know that. Just as easy to say the "exodus" to places like Asheville will pick up when this same correction that you're waiting for occurrs there, no???

Not really, doesn't bother me a bit who is moving where, what does bother me is that someone paints Florida as a bad place to live and then blame the state for the reason they had to leave, in most cases its not the state, its the person, may like you went for job reason but you always say that, you dont post how awful Fla is either.

What I see and may be wrong somewhat is that people get a thrill out of bashing Florida when they leave, why do that when 9 out of 10 of them love it and you know it, they moved for other reasons.

But you know as much as I do there is no Mass exodus out of Florida.

So what are we all doing just trading places then? ot many move from Ohio, Mich, Ill and want to go back but I do read on this board many who left Florida for the cold states cannot wait to go back.

I defend Florida because I like it allot, if I had to leave Florida for financial reasons I would state it and not lay it on how bad things are, all those people are doing is trading one bad situation for another bad situation.

What I have not figured out is from the people I met on this board who I PM all the time they all tell me it is nothing like these basher say it is. Fact is more then 1/2 of them tell me they are far more happier in Fla then they were elsewhere, that is what counts. Not one of them has told me they made a mistake. Only one who is leaving Fla is doing so because they miss family.

Be honest, it is not Floridas fault most are leaving............

Va, yes, the market is doing this everywhere, but from looking at several websites and watching prices, the Florida market went overboard with prices and will see more of a decline then most other states, but yet many call it a bust.... For me its not a bust at all, a bust is when the property goes below its real value and cannot be sold and that is not happening in most cases.

Money Mag had an article about how far to many people borrowed money on homes in Florida and many other southern coastal states when the market falsely went up, now they are buried in them over there head and many have lost them. It mentioned that Hilton Head properties that are now worth 750k were once valued at 1.2 mil and people borrowed to the hilt when it hit that, causing them to be in a bind. I see many of them posting bad things when the reason they have left is not that, its because they got too far in debt and couldnt afford it anymore.

Go ahead bash Florida but you cannot convince me that you didnt like Florida, the reason many bash it is not the real reason they left...........or want to leave.

Old 07-23-2007, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridabound09 View Post
Not really, doesn't bother me a bit who is moving where, what does bother me is that someone paints Florida as a bad place to live and then blame the state for the reason they had to leave, in most cases its not the state, its the person, may like you went for job reason but you always say that, you dont post how awful Fla is either.
My wife will attest to the fact that I've hated Florida as long as I've known her and I met her less than a year after I moved there. I am not here to bash the state though. My preferences lie elsewhere and that's that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaBound09
What I see and may be wrong somewhat is that people get a thrill out of bashing Florida when they leave, why do that when 9 out of 10 of them love it and you know it, they moved for other reasons.
No, it's just that you are currently incapable of understanding how anyone can dislike Florida because apparrently it's your dream destination. Sorry, but there are plenty of reasons to dislike Florida and they are legit to those who are bothered by certain aspects of the state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaDreamer09
But you know as much as I do there is no Mass exodus out of Florida.
No, but any look at population figures will show you that population increases in Florida have DRAMATICALLY declined. Now my theory (since we're allowed to throw out unfounded guesses it seems) is that the number of people moving TO Florida may be about the same, but the number LEAVING has increased dramatically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaDreamer09
So what are we all doing just trading places then? ot many move from Ohio, Mich, Ill and want to go back but I do read on this board many who left Florida for the cold states cannot wait to go back.
Actually it's the half-back phenomenon which is a very real thing..... I'd say that you're simply beginning the journey that many before you have followed and that road ends half way back to Ohio.... Now you personally from what I know have done your research and been there enough that I think you'll be fine.

Florida does turn one that's been there awhile to a bit of a warm-body and it DOES make it hard to tolerate the cold of the Great Lakes, Midwest or NorthEast which is why most don't go all the way back EXCEPT when they have family living there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLoridaBound09
I defend Florida because I like it allot, if I had to leave Florida for financial reasons I would state it and not lay it on how bad things are, all those people are doing is trading one bad situation for another bad situation.
Depends where they're going. There are plenty of places in the country with a cheaper COL... Just because Asheville, NC or Maryville, TN are getting as expensive doesn't mean everywhere in the Mid-Atlantic is.....

And you have every right to defend Florida, but I think you went beyond defending it in a thread that wasn't bashing it. People are discussing where they went and why. If you don't like it fine, but it's truly arrogant (I'm sorry, but it is) to tell people they're lying or delusional about thier feelings with regards to Florida. To me it's a Hot, overcrowded strip mall of a state that has beaches (which, believe it or not, are not unique to Florida.... I've seen beaches in NC that blow many in Florida away IMO).

Quote:
What I have not figured out is from the people I met on this board who I PM all the time they all tell me it is nothing like these basher say it is. Fact is more then 1/2 of them tell me they are far more happier in Fla then they were elsewhere, that is what counts. Not one of them has told me they made a mistake. Only one who is leaving Fla is doing so because they miss family.
HOWEVER, your only "stat" to say that people moving out of Florida made some kind of mistake is almost exclusively from a message board in which people are discussing Florida, so let's be a bit real here...

For me it was no mistake. For my wife, who lived in Florida for almost 30 years and left her family there, she has stated with no prompting from me that she "doesn't miss Florida AT ALL"..... So it isn't that people moving to Florida are visionaries and people moving out are delusional. Some people are fed up with things in Florida. No need to debate it since you can't tell someone thier opinion is wrong, though you seem to think you can.

Quote:
Be honest, it is not Floridas fault most are leaving............
Really depends on what you mean by that I suppose. It's not a penninsular land-masses fault that people don't like it, sure. Some of the occurrences ON said land-mass are a very good reason in the eyes of many to leave it....

Quote:
Va, yes, the market is doing this everywhere, but from looking at several websites and watching prices, the Florida market went overboard with prices and will see more of a decline then most other states, but yet many call it a bust.... For me its not a bust at all, a bust is when the property goes below its real value and cannot be sold and that is not happening in most cases.

Money Mag had an article about how far to many people borrowed money on homes in Florida and many other southern coastal states when the market falsely went up, now they are buried in them over there head and many have lost them. It mentioned that Hilton Head properties that are now worth 750k were once valued at 1.2 mil and people borrowed to the hilt when it hit that, causing them to be in a bind. I see many of them posting bad things when the reason they have left is not that, its because they got too far in debt and couldnt afford it anymore.
Boston, DC/NoVA, Cali, Chicago, and yes, Asheville to name a few.......... Not a Florida phenomenon at all....

Quote:
Go ahead bash Florida but you cannot convince me that you didnt like Florida, the reason many bash it is not the real reason they left...........or want to leave.
Oh I don't need to convince you. I truly detested much about Florida. And to answer your question before you ask it again, I waited so long to leave because my wife wasn't ready to leave (family primarily) and then the massive changes in the state in the last 5 years pushed me WELL over the edge of toleration...... That's again, why so many are moving out now. Because it was liveable and "acceptable" before and the skyrocketing COL made it pointless to stay in a place I disliked when I could pay the same and live in a better location in my opinion.... Florida was cheap, now it isn't.

Last edited by Rhett_Butler; 07-23-2007 at 08:41 PM..

Old 07-23-2007, 08:17 PM

2,141 posts, read 6,884,466 times
I like reading the posts, I get to see all sides of the mess Florida is in. On one side I hear how history will show realestate will keep going up. Well it might but in Florida the last time we had a boom (bubble) like this was in the 1920s. I don't think any of us were alive for it. But it came to a crash. People from other states have seen the market go up and cashed out. But most had the need to gamble more. one great situation for another ? Its not looking that way. Its like poker sometimes you get a great hand or two. But in the long run you will lose. Other southern coastal states are in the same boat but who caused this mess? Can it be fixed ? If people want to leave so be it. But it still won't fix this mess. If people move in Great! I think both sides need to look at the big picture, we are in a financial mess. Not just the southern states but all states. So why do people leave ? I don't think it has alot to do with anything more then a way of life you want to live. (or think you do ).

Last edited by firemed; 07-23-2007 at 08:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida