Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2007, 08:25 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,354,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY62 View Post
Dont get to excited what do you think will happen there if it is that great? sorry but the same thing that happens everywhere else that is cheap and nice. and Tennessee is no secret alot of people from N.Y. are heading there also.Enjoy while it lasts oh yea be carefull someplaces over there hate outsiders. I can hear the banjos playing lol.
There are tons of people here from all over the place, but they are in the town outside of us. This town has mostly people that have been here for generations. Luckily they have very strong feelings about their land. Unfortunately the outlying areas have people who don't care as much about their land and family's history and are beginning to sell off their farms to be butchered into little tiny lots in gated subdivisions. It's sad.

Yes, people will continue to move here and many places will change. It's just how life is and we know that. We keep looking other places too. This will go to our children. We're looking at the very north part of the state at a 40 acre piece of land. We're also looking at some waterfront property in Maine for the summer months. But yes, we're aware that it won't stay secret for long.

Quote:
It goes to show that when people are happy they do better work. Do you see the huge gap between rich and poor like you saw in Naples? Also having all that open country and the freedom to move around seems to help people feel less squeezed.
Hey tallrick. The town I'm in, everyone is pretty much on a level playing field. There are stupid little gated communities going up around us though and we occasionally see the Escalades and Navigators cruising through the neighborhood. It's bound to happen I guess. We try to just ignore it. But def nothing at all even close to Naples.

Quote:
Yes rural Tennessee is cheaper COL than Naples. It has been for decades. In related news, Kia's are cheaper than Porsche's.
Just keep in mind - what may seem like a Kia to one person is another's Porsche. I loved Marco growing up. Naples wasn't too bad. But over time it became a clogged artery of nothing more than neighboring gated communities with homes so close to one another you can hear the neighbors toilet flush. Not my idea of paradise. I have a friend that is the exact opposite. She loves gated communities and having her neighbors home right up against hers. Short of the beaches and close proximity to Old Town Key West, there's absolutely nothing about Collier County, Florida I miss. Not the heat. Not the traffic. Not the snobby attitude of the residents. Not the traffic. Not the bugs. Not the silly cost of living. Not the suffocating confinement. Nope, I happen to like my 'Kia'.

Quote:
I have been there and there are some quite expensive areas very rich in some spots,and very poor in others but you do have middle of the road there where naples I really could not find any middle class to speak off. Problem is work, my friend has to drive an hour to nashville for work unless you work in waffle house that is what most will do. Like anywhere else the closer you get to water or work the more expensive it becomes. I loved hendersonville around the lake but the prices were very high. take care
I drive 2 hours each way to work in Nashville. But it's a gorgeous drive and I have a very full household, so it's my 'me' time. I can listen to what I want on the radio. Enjoy the beautiful scenery. This morning for example I saw a deer and her 2 fawns grazing right by the road with gorgeous mist covered mountains as her backdrop. It looked like a post card.
Yes, here you'll make one heck of a drive to and from work if you have a career as opposed to a job. You just decide what's important to you. I've seriously thought of going back into law enforcement closer to home when things are a little more stable for us. But we'll see....

Quote:
There is no mass exodus, the numbers do not show that at all, if fact just on this board since I joined there are far more 12 to be exact that have or are moving to Fla, only 1 has left that I know of.

In fact you will see a MASS ENTRY into Florida once the real estate market settles to realistic values, I for one will be there buying once the properties go back to the price they are suppose to be.

I travel to Florida at least once per month and more and I see it growing even more in the furture.

There is no statistic I have ever seen that presents a mass exodus, I do know for every person who leaves there is one and many more moving into Florida.

My personal opinion is that those who leave always bash it because they couldnt make it in Florida anymore and had to leave. Its not all Florida fault people couldnt make it in Florida, when I leave Ohio I sure wont be spending my time bashing Ohio, I will spending my time telling all of you who have left thanks for moving over and letting me enjoy something you are missing out on. ( or never knew how to enjoy it )

The 9 people who I communicate with on this board ALL ARE new to Florida and love it, not one of them dislike the move, in fact several of them have told me that many of those same posters who do nothing but bash Florida have been proven wrong, many of them expected all this bad stuff and they have not seen it as posted here.

I would like to know the REAL reason certain people are leaving Florida, not because of crime, its everywhere, not because of the heat, you moved there or lived there, its not because you got greedy and didnt sell your house for 4 times the value, then what is it?

Besides I know east Tenn, it is just like Florida, some good areas and some bad areas and it aint no Florida, that is for sure.

if you enjoyed Oceans in Florida you will NOT like oceans in Maine, might as well go to a lake or something and you can only swim in the ocean in Maine 3 months out of the year. Not a good move at all.

Besides Conn and Maine are more expensive to own then in Florida.

It is sad to see people post nothing but bad things about Florida when you know down deep you would love to still be there.

All kidding aside, as beautiful as others states are like NC, Vir, SC, Tenn, you are not going to anything better when you move there from Florida, you are just moving away from a paradise that you dont see.
Floridabound09, perhaps I should have stated there's a mass exodus of the working class in Collier County. That's where we were. We still have friends - many of them - working for the sheriff's office there. We hear on a regular basis of the many people turning in their 2 weeks notice. There's a critical shortage of teachers, law enforcement, fire fighters, paramedics, etc. The county is in serious trouble. Yep, people are still moving to Florida. It's always going to be that way. But right now in Collier County, there are more of the working class moving out than moving in. It's in the NDN and the NewsPress all the time. My in-laws still have their winter home in Bonita Springs and we get updates all the time from them on the places they go for dinner or whatever that are very short staffed. Yes, there are more leaving than entering Collier. And for the record, the 'mass exodus' statement was said tongue in cheek.

I knew how to enjoy Florida. My family had been on Marco Island for 5 generations. It was once a gorgeous place. My grandmother went to school on a boat to Isles of Capri as there was no bridge back then. Our entire family has awesome memories of it. But then it got over populated. I don't enjoy over-population. I like my space. I like knowing my neighbors. I like friendly people. It wasn't like that anymore.

Im very happy that the people you've talked to that are moving there are enjoying it. But I've known many who moved there and hated it. It's personal preference. You and I obviously have very different taste. I loved Florida the way it was. Now, I can't stand it. And ya know, I love Old Town Key West, but the people that have been there for generations probably hate it because they see what it used to be like before I saw it. It's just the way it is. People generally don't like seeing their small friendly home town that they love turned into a popular vacation meca or over-populated city.

There are tons of reasons why people are leaving Florida. Financial reasons, with us for example, our income was about $80,000 there. Had we bought a house we would have been looking at about $300,000 for about a 3bedroom 2 bath 1200 square foot home on a standard 1.14 acre lot in a not so great section of the county. So, the house was about 3.75 times our income. Here, we have a 5 bedroom 2 bath 2550 square foot home on 7.25 acres in a phenomenal area. Our income if we were both working would be roughly $75,000 and we bought our house for $91,000. So here the house is 1.213 times our income. That's a massive difference. Even with only me working the house is only 2.45 times our income. So yes, finances are a huge difference. And yes, TN has some good and some bad areas. Welcome to America - it's like that all over. But in TN the good areas don't cost you well over $1 mil. That's a big thing to us.

As for oceans, there's something in the Gulf that has been there for the last 15 years or so. Not sure what it is, but I couldn't get in that water for anything in the world. Maybe it was me and my skin became sensitive, I don't know. But I didn't go to the beach for the water - I went for the sun and the peace and to listen to the wave and seagulls. I've been to Maine in the summer and fell in love with it. Not for the ocean. For the atmosphere - just like Florida. So for us, it's a good move. As for the cost, the areas in Maine we're looking at we can get a 2 acre or so piece of waterfront property for about $40,000. You won't find that in Florida. If you are looking at Bar Harbor or something, yes, it can be as expensive as Florida, but that's not at all where we want to be. So no, it's not as expensive.

Yes, I'd love to be in Florida again - if it were the way it was when I was young. I truly dislike what Naples has become. It used to be paradise down there, but that changed totally over the last 20 years. Of course, that's my opinion. You're quite welcome to your own. I wish you luck in Florida and hope you find it to be all you think it is. I know plently people that live there and enjoy it. I have a friend in NH that is planning to move back. She likes it. Most of the people I know don't. Personal preference. So it's not that I don't see the paradise. I see what paradise used to be and it will never be that again and it's sad. I prefer to remember it how it was when I was growing up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2007, 09:33 AM

553 posts, read 1,929,367 times
Ahh we all wish it was like it was twenty years ago everywhere. But then we would not be communicating now. But I would still rather have my home town twenty years ago also. Take care and enjoy Tennessee P.S go to the grand old oprey one night it is beautifull and that hotel is amazing.

Old 08-10-2007, 01:47 PM

88 posts, read 263,780 times
Floridabound09,
It's not just the people who have left Florida that are putting it down. Besides that, it's all relative. You will be moving here in a couple of years so of course, you'll lean on the positive boards. Also, why is it considered bashing? It's REALITY. May be an individual perception nonetheless but worthy of notice.
I personally, get on these boards looking for support, similarities with my situation because this has been daunting to say the least. I have never in my life been where I couldn't find work, or where the pay has been so bad. I am very diverse so I can do many things. This employment situation has brought me to my knees. I think it's the treatment of the employers too. They call you in for an interview, it seems like it went well and then NOTHING. Happens over and over again.
Now it has ONLY GOTTEN WORSE since the housing industry has crumbled. I recently spoke with a hiring agency and this is what they told me. All of Florida is having trouble getting jobs. BEWARE. I'm living with frustration everyday. Planning to go to another state to get a job temporarily while my family stays here. That's how bad it is. I can go stay with friends for a short while.
Or I see a job I can do and then the requirement is for bilingual. So out of the 5 jobs I could apply for 3 of them want a second language. The job market is squeezed even tighter because of this. I sit in the library now and I am the minority in two of the libraries I go to. A true to life example is that on the computers right now out of 32 computers. 25 are hispanic, 3 whites and 4 blacks. Our system is stretched to the max in Florida. President Bush got 40% more votes than normal from hispanics and that's why they want them in our country. They don't have to rub elbows with them like we do in central Florida. Now that I see the competition for the jobs I'm TICKED OFF I must admit. They should learn ENGLISH and respect our country. Sure doesn't seem like they do to me.
There needs to be a limit. These people are taking our jobs. Then there's the outsourcing to India too. Thank your government and big business for looking out for the AMERICAN PEOPLE'S BEST INTEREST. There is nobody sitting up at the roundtable discussion when immigration is the topic standing up for US. Corporate America is there, the Chamber of Commerce, immigration attorneys, anybody who benefits from slave labor. Oh by the way businesses GET PAID SUBSIDIES TO HIRE IMMIGRANTS. I'll betcha most of America doesn't know that. That's why they choose them over us.
If you're not OUTRAGED then you're not paying attention. Enough ranting about dirty politics today. moonbeam

Old 08-10-2007, 02:53 PM

2,227 posts, read 8,186,024 times
moonbeam, where are you? i have a feeling your in orlando, and that was before i saw you are located in central fla. but i know exactly what you mean. i went to walmart today, and i was like the only white person in there. everyone was speaking spanish, and i almost said to the cashier, "i speak english, kay?"

Old 08-11-2007, 08:04 AM

1,683 posts, read 8,185,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida1 View Post
I know of people who moved to NC and TN two years ago. Two years later they still have no "true" friends of any kind. They have people that they talk to at church, but that is about the extent of it. The people don't seem very outgoing (sp?) to newcomers.
I guess it depends. We recently spent 2 weeks in Clayton, GA - north Georgia mountains. The people were exceptionally friendly and outgoing. They made us feel instantly at home. They invited us to their churches, took lots of time to give us helpful hints and directions on the some of the best places locals go - we even had neighbors visit us and welcome us. It was delightful and so different from the impersonal way we Floridians have learned to act. It felt like going 40 years back into the past.

Old 08-11-2007, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BahamaBreeze View Post
Remember the dueling banjos in Deliverence:
Dueling Banjos - Google Video
or for the movie version:
The original dueling banjos

Of course, there are certain parts of Cirtrus County, Levy, Marion...in Fl that I'd watch my behind also.
This is a fictional movie filmed in Rabun County Georgia. I recently spent 2 weeks in Rabun County, I can assure you, this was highly fictionalized - the people are nothing like portrayed in the movie. The locals hated the way this movie depicted them to the world - there was a lot of controversy about it when the film was first released.

Old 08-11-2007, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backtofla View Post
moonbeam, where are you? i have a feeling your in orlando, and that was before i saw you are located in central fla. but i know exactly what you mean. i went to walmart today, and i was like the only white person in there. everyone was speaking spanish, and i almost said to the cashier, "i speak english, kay?"
Diversity is becoming common all over the south - it is not limited to Florida. We saw much evidence of that in our recent vacation to SC, NC, and Georgia.

It doesn't matter to me what color anyone's skin. What matters is that all of us are positive, contributing members of society.

Old 08-11-2007, 11:42 PM

776 posts, read 1,664,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pianogal View Post
Diversity is becoming common all over the south - it is not limited to Florida. We saw much evidence of that in our recent vacation to SC, NC, and Georgia.

It doesn't matter to me what color anyone's skin. What matters is that all of us are positive, contributing members of society.

Diversity but as long as you are spanisih speaking? No place in the southeast and only few in the entire country now even rival metro Orlando or South Florida. If you are the token gringo looking for work in way too many neighborhoods you get squeezed from all sides these days.. It's starts with "Hola' and how you respond to that simple one word. This is a huge cultural and language divide and has nothing to do with skin color because being Latino comes in all shades.. I feel for the working class Engligh only speaking folks trying to get by and unable to because they aren't bilingual. I thought this is the United States. I didn't speak much English either being the child of immigrants till I went to first grade but back 30-40 years ago conforming to English in order to get educated and get ahead for all of us no matter where we or our parents came from was the norm. Not so anymore at least parts of Florida..

Old 08-12-2007, 12:08 AM

1,821 posts, read 2,882,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonbeam View Post
President Bush got 40% more votes than normal from hispanics and that's why they want them in our country. moonbeam
Actually, the majority of Hispanics vote Democrat. Only the Cubans are predominantly Republican. Bush got 40% of the Hispanic votes. 60% voted Democrat.

Old 08-12-2007, 07:11 AM

n/a posts
Lets get back on the topic: For those that have left FL - where did you go? (Palm Beach: relocation).

Moderator..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida