Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2007, 07:16 AM

2,141 posts, read 6,885,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonbeam View Post
Floridabound09,
It's not just the people who have left Florida that are putting it down. Besides that, it's all relative. You will be moving here in a couple of years so of course, you'll lean on the positive boards. Also, why is it considered bashing? It's REALITY. May be an individual perception nonetheless but worthy of notice.
I personally, get on these boards looking for support, similarities with my situation because this has been daunting to say the least. I have never in my life been where I couldn't find work, or where the pay has been so bad. I am very diverse so I can do many things. This employment situation has brought me to my knees. I think it's the treatment of the employers too. They call you in for an interview, it seems like it went well and then NOTHING. Happens over and over again.
Now it has ONLY GOTTEN WORSE since the housing industry has crumbled. I recently spoke with a hiring agency and this is what they told me. All of Florida is having trouble getting jobs. BEWARE. I'm living with frustration everyday. Planning to go to another state to get a job temporarily while my family stays here. That's how bad it is. I can go stay with friends for a short while.
Or I see a job I can do and then the requirement is for bilingual. So out of the 5 jobs I could apply for 3 of them want a second language. The job market is squeezed even tighter because of this. I sit in the library now and I am the minority in two of the libraries I go to. A true to life example is that on the computers right now out of 32 computers. 25 are hispanic, 3 whites and 4 blacks. Our system is stretched to the max in Florida. President Bush got 40% more votes than normal from hispanics and that's why they want them in our country. They don't have to rub elbows with them like we do in central Florida. Now that I see the competition for the jobs I'm TICKED OFF I must admit. They should learn ENGLISH and respect our country. Sure doesn't seem like they do to me.
There needs to be a limit. These people are taking our jobs. Then there's the outsourcing to India too. Thank your government and big business for looking out for the AMERICAN PEOPLE'S BEST INTEREST. There is nobody sitting up at the roundtable discussion when immigration is the topic standing up for US. Corporate America is there, the Chamber of Commerce, immigration attorneys, anybody who benefits from slave labor. Oh by the way businesses GET PAID SUBSIDIES TO HIRE IMMIGRANTS. I'll betcha most of America doesn't know that. That's why they choose them over us.
If you're not OUTRAGED then you're not paying attention. Enough ranting about dirty politics today. moonbeam
This is sad but very true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2007, 10:28 AM

2,227 posts, read 8,188,475 times
moonbeam, where are you located in central fla? my guess is orlando...

Old 08-16-2007, 11:01 AM

88 posts, read 263,852 times
Default Location?

Quote:
Originally Posted by backtofla View Post
moonbeam, where are you located in central fla? my guess is orlando...
Backtofla,
I'm in Orlando or as one of my acquaintances called it "Bizarre-o-land." This place is weird, like no other. It's an entity all it's own. Unbelievable.
I, too have lived here long enough to see the rise and fall of this town. There's a difference when you were here prior to 9/11. Nothing has been the same since. Low standards galore. Everything is MEANINGLESS as far as job hunting, interviewing, pay. Moonbeam

Old 08-16-2007, 04:07 PM

2,227 posts, read 8,188,475 times
i agree with you, it is unique. what do you think makes it so bizzare?

Old 08-16-2007, 08:32 PM

174 posts, read 664,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcd01 View Post
Was just wondering where you all that were forced to, or chose to escape from Florida due to the high cost of living/crime/weather/whatever (not job relocations) moved to after your exit from the Sunshine state? Do you like it?

We W Palm Beach for Raleigh, NC last year and it is just fine. Sure I miss the beach but this is a much better place for my family. The beach isn't THAT far away.
Yep and they say that NC will be the next Hollywood with all the TV and movie productions going on out there especially in Wilmington and Southport.
They have some of the most beautiful beaches, I remember watching dolphins playing in the water. Plus the weather really isn't bad and most of the time when it does snow, it's a light dusting that melts shortly after.

I lived in the Wilmington area in the 90s and some creepy trivia my daughter was born in the same hospital that Brandon Lee died, that same week.

As for us we will be going to Texas for better pay, cost of living and housing.

Old 08-18-2007, 10:23 AM
LMB

405 posts, read 1,886,449 times
We left Orlando last month after living there for 15 years. We moved 3100 miles away--nearly as far from Florida as possible within the contiguous US, to a small waterfront town in the northwest part of Washington state. Our reason for moving was mostly to be closer to family in the Seattle area and had nothing to do with job, salary or housing issues.

However, other than moving away from good friends in central Florida, we felt no remorse at all about leaving. We used to love Orlando, but it was not the city we moved to in the early 90s. All cities change over time, but the speed that Orlando was transforming was alarming. Traffic, road rage and violent crime was increasing daily--murders were becoming commonplace.

Something else we didn't even realize until we moved to our small town in the Pacific Northwest was that general politeness and respect from clerks, shopkeepers and service providers had all but disappeared in Orlando. That might simply be a small town difference, but it's so refreshing to have found it again here! My husband and I keep commenting to each other about "how nice" everyone is here, and how they go out of their way to be helpful. I don't think we'd realized how much rudeness we had just come to expect as the norm while living in Orlando, especially in recent years--maybe the changes in FL were a post-9/11 effect as Moonbeam mentioned. I hadn't considered that correlation before.

FWIW, these are just the observations and opinions of a newly relocated former central Floridian. We will miss the beautiful winter weather in Orlando, but right now we're sure glad we're in the cool Pacific Northwest!

Old 08-18-2007, 08:25 PM

673 posts, read 2,671,170 times
We moved from South Florida (Pembroke Pines) to NC 4 months ago. It was a hard adjustment at first, but I am very glad we made the move. I went back to FL last week for a visit, and it was just confirmation that we made the right decision to leave.

Old 08-18-2007, 08:28 PM

543 posts, read 1,224,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLtoNC View Post
We moved from South Florida (Pembroke Pines) to NC 4 months ago. It was a hard adjustment at first, but I am very glad we made the move. I went back to FL last week for a visit, and it was just confirmation that we made the right decision to leave.
What part of NC? I considered a move there too, but now I am thinking Co instead.

Old 08-19-2007, 12:41 AM

13,562 posts, read 21,315,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debntx View Post
I totally agree. I read on here where someone was considering Charleston, South Carolina over Florida???? I'm seriously telling you that would not be a place I'd recommend!!
Those of you who live down in South Florida with smaller children, I'd suggest you visit the Western panhandle. Schools up that way are MUCH better than the rest of Florida especially Okaloosa county. Also, Pensacola has surrounding smaller towns that are more cost effective than the "city" would be. You have other options in Florida and the Panhandle just might be suited for you. It's a great family atmosphere and lots of things to do. Real sense of community in places like Navarre, Fort Walton, Destin, Niceville, Crestview, actually alot of communities there.
But if you are determined to move out of Florida because of high housing cost, you really should consider the Dallas Fort Worth metroplex. Check out their cost of homes! San Antonio, Texas is another beautiful city with many many amenities and wonderful people!
this is truth

Old 08-19-2007, 08:40 AM

673 posts, read 2,671,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridanative2 View Post
What part of NC? I considered a move there too, but now I am thinking Co instead.
I am just south of Charlotte in Union County. Schools are highly regarded here and property taxes are lower.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida