Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2007, 11:09 AM

88 posts, read 263,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by backtofla View Post
i agree with you, it is unique. what do you think makes it so bizzare?
There's way too many people. Last count 2000 a week pouring in here looking for the dream.
Too many people willing to work for low wages...people from other countries.
It's a right-to-work state, employer's can treat you badly and they do.
Good ole' boy system in place.
They lie in publications about the statistics of this place.
Florida is for big business not the little guy.
Lack of a superior education.
Lack of community.
Retirement state, not for working families especially now that with the POPULATION EXPLOSION.
Too much crime due to poor economy, low pay, high cost of living.

I have to run right now...will get back on later. I have to HUSTLE since I live in Orlando....that's all I do is hustle to survive. True blue, MOONBEAM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2007, 12:21 PM

8 posts, read 42,682 times
The funny thing about all this "why I moved from A to B" is;people always makes it seem like where they are moving to is perfect, but then you have someone moving from that same exact area to the area you are coming from. People will always move from state to state for different reasons and its not because one state is better than the other. I live in NY and is moving to FL and very excited. I have family in FL who despite the depressing outlook some people paints of south FL are actually doing pretty well and that have never lived anywhere but FL. I think the problem with a lot of the people who are complaining about FL is they don't have enough maketable skills to survive there.

the opinion shared here is that of the writer and not everyone else.....lol.

have a great day folks.

Old 08-20-2007, 12:44 PM

129 posts, read 476,431 times
Hi waynehed,
Thank you for your post. I am glad you have family here. I hope when you move you will be close to your family You will be moving from N.Y. so you will probably think it is cheaper here. It will be for you. However, for the old timers like me it is to high. Believe me I do have marketable skills. In fact I work at a sheriffs office. I make good money and if I moved to a different state that cost less I would be in the high middle class on the salery I have now. I stay in my budget and I am not in debit. However i posted this before S. Fl. is going through a big change. They have already laid off 40 some people at city P.D. Yes, you will here complaints but I must say they are ligt. Well good luck in your move
Icelady

Old 08-20-2007, 02:13 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,472,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynehed View Post
I think the problem with a lot of the people who are complaining about FL is they don't have enough maketable skills to survive there.

the opinion shared here is that of the writer and not everyone else.....lol.

have a great day folks.
Many do have the marketable skills. It's just that certain areas of FL, mostly SW & South FL, have no professions to speak of other than doctors & abritration lawyers.

It's hard to market oneself to compete with illegals doing lanscaping & construction work...especially when that is all that there is to do here until the construction stops. The rich will always hire the lowest bidder to do their landscaping which are the illegals & immigrants.

No need to market oneself to apply for a minimum wage job at WalMart or Publix, which are the major employers in many areas of SW FL.

Old 08-20-2007, 06:00 PM

776 posts, read 1,663,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
Many do have the marketable skills. It's just that certain areas of FL, mostly SW & South FL, have no professions to speak of other than doctors & abritration lawyers.

It's hard to market oneself to compete with illegals doing lanscaping & construction work...especially when that is all that there is to do here until the construction stops. The rich will always hire the lowest bidder to do their landscaping which are the illegals & immigrants.

No need to market oneself to apply for a minimum wage job at WalMart or Publix, which are the major employers in many areas of SW FL.
Seems to me more high net worth boomers and many who had done very well here in Florida are now cashing in their chips and leaving in droves.. This was unheard of ten years ago..

Old 08-20-2007, 06:04 PM

2,227 posts, read 8,183,338 times
many of them are headed to where else but the carolina's?!?

Old 08-21-2007, 08:04 AM

11 posts, read 221,659 times
here is what you should do...
dig a hole and get in it and never come out...done and over....
Quote:
Originally Posted by HengyMama View Post
We are leaving Florida because of the following:

Cost of living
Hurricanes
Mean people
Insurance rates
High utilities
Low paying jobs
High housing market
The heat
Alligators (ate two small dogs in neighborhood)
Don't know neighbors....been here 13 years
Flat land
No seasons
Pine pollen
Roaches (live in pine trees)
High utilities
No organic foods
No Messianic congregations
Love bugs, biting flies, mosquitos
Cats have long hair/too hot for them
Sand, even in the country
Grass won't grow
Rude teenagers
No southern hospitality
Crime
Concrete
Condos
Hate the beach
School system stinks
The humidity
No place to hike
State parks are too regulated
House is too small
Shark attacks at beach
Too many seafood restaurants (Keep Kosher)
Strangers don't speak or even smile
Have to run air 360 days of the year
No good bagel shops
No cultural events
Don't want to work just to pay utilities and taxes

When both husband and wife work and all you can afford is a 1100 square foot house.....something is wrong with this picture. Add in all the rest and it is time to move on.

Old 09-06-2007, 02:06 PM

88 posts, read 263,687 times
Default Yes, you're right about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by valicky View Post
Actually, the majority of Hispanics vote Democrat. Only the Cubans are predominantly Republican. Bush got 40% of the Hispanic votes. 60% voted Democrat.
The Hispanic population votes mostly Democratic and the Cubans Republican. But what is extremely important is that Florida carries many electoral votes for the entire voting process=more Hispanics that enter Florida=politically means more votes for the Democratic party.
Bush received 40% more votes than he normally would have so maybe it was the Cubans after all. Let's not forget his brother Jeb is married to a Columbian woman. Moonbeam

Old 09-06-2007, 02:11 PM

1 posts, read 2,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcd01 View Post
Was just wondering where you all that were forced to, or chose to escape from Florida due to the high cost of living/crime/weather/whatever (not job relocations) moved to after your exit from the Sunshine state? Do you like it?

We W Palm Beach for Raleigh, NC last year and it is just fine. Sure I miss the beach but this is a much better place for my family. The beach isn't THAT far away.
Several people have moved to Lake Hartwell in Hartwell, Ga.. It's a great place to live. It's water front living without the hurricanes Small Town, Big Lake!

Old 09-06-2007, 06:23 PM

45 posts, read 171,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonbeam View Post
Bush received 40% more votes than he normally would have so maybe it was the Cubans after all. Let's not forget his brother Jeb is married to a Columbian woman. Moonbeam
Jeb's wife is Mexican. Her name is Columba, but she's Mexican.

re: the term Cracker

This term is used very incorrectly.

Only people whose families originally settled Florida (after the Native Americans, of course) can be called "Crackers." The term comes from the cracking of the whips used on the cattle that were driven down here. This was big cattle country.

I believe Northerners heard that term used when they came down and assumed that it meant any Southerner--not true. If your family didn't come here before, let's say, 1930, you're not a Cracker. People from Georgia, SC, NC, TN are not Crackers either.

You can be a Floridian without being a Cracker--but, like the rest of the South, to be from a place, you (and probably your parents) need to have been born here.

re: "Floridians" moving to TN, NC, etc.

I'm betting that a majority of them are those 'halfbacks' and not actual Floridians.

re: Not fitting in when you arrive in a Southern State

The thing about Southerners is that, while friendly, they are wary of outsiders. Why wouldn't they be? Anti-Southern jokes are acceptable, and, sadly, perpetuated and made by those who chose to move South.

Also, please understand that Southerners are not just white. One half of America's African American population lives in and hails from the South. These folks are Southerners, too.

I've gotta say it: the most racist people I've ever met were not Southerners, but from Pennsylvania, Indiana, Ohio, New York and New Jersey. Some of the stuff that came out of their mouths was just unbelievable.

But, back to fitting in down South.

In the South, to really fit in, you have to have some "credentials." Southerners want to know who "your people" are. If you can trace some family history to the area, it's not hard at all to fit in. That doesn't mean you can't be accepted if you don't have family from the area, though!

I don't think this is something unique to the South. Up North, especially in New England, you aren't warmly greeted. Who your family is and from where you came is important.

re: illegals getting jobs

I teach in SW Florida at a school with a sizable minority rate. (Great school, great kids. No matter their cultural heritage, they are all going to make great Americans.) The other day some of my kids were telling me that ICE has been raiding the illegals here. One student told me that immigration has been cracking down on the day laborer spots (parking lots, etc.), and another told me that everyone who didn't have his papers in order where her dad works was fired. A few of them were telling me that they've never see the flea market so empty (many illegals there).

Also, MANY families are leaving this area, including the immigrants (legal and illegal). No jobs here.

Florida is changing drastically again.

I am intending to leave in a year or two, but haven't decided where. I am a military brat and lived overseas for quite a few years, so I've developed a healthy appreciation for seasons.

Part of me wants to stay here and "fight the good fight" because my family has been here since the 1830s, but...well, I really like Fall, Spring and Winter...and I like living in a place where families have lived for generations. I'm going to wait out this impending recession and see what happens. (This state and this country are headed for some VERY hard times...at the very least, it will be the Great Recession.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida