Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2007, 10:28 PM

776 posts, read 1,664,845 times

Advertisements

'john vosilla, although raleigh is a city full of educated ppl, i think it is due to the colleges in the area. if you think the rest of the state is like that, you are certainly mistaken.'

Yes, you don't find that same mindset in other places in NC nor do you find it anyplace in Florida either..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2007, 09:24 AM

214 posts, read 661,728 times
I moved to Raleigh. I was able to go from a 1500 sf house on .1 acres in Pensacola to a 2000 sf house on .5 acres just outside of Raleigh. Of course, the motivation for the move was the fact that I'm from NC and missed my little brother growing up.

If my wife (Pensacola native) doesn't like it, though, we'll be back in 2 years.

Old 07-20-2007, 11:11 AM

467 posts, read 1,484,560 times
Sorry that so many people dislike living in Florida. I can understand young
couples with children and singles wanting to move..From what I see the school system (except for the college level) leaves something to be desired.
My husband and I are both retired so for us Florida was the place. tired of
shoveling snow, car not starting, etc. but I miss my home in Pa. If we could
I would have a small place up there to go back too during the hot summer.
but we can't afford that luxury...Have to depend on visiting our children for
the time being. I love Charleston, South Carolina and that might be a
possiblity in the future if Florida doesn't straighten out this insurance and
tax mess......

Old 07-20-2007, 12:41 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,960,698 times
We moved to NC, and while there are plenty of things I absolutely LOVE about the area, it has just never felt like home. We have talked about moving back to Bradenton repeatedly, but the crime has gotten awful and it would be almost impossible to be able to afford the size house we need. I do miss the people of Florida though, and I never thought I would say that!! People are friendly here, but very very two faced and the cops harrass you for no reason, not all, but the majority of the people are in church on Sundays and stabbing you in the back or lying, cheating, etc the rest of the week. I know that happens everywhere, but it just seems so "in your face" here. The schools are not that great and the favoritism in sports, etc is ridiculous. And believe it or not, it's worse from the people who moved here from Fl, it's like they have to prove they belong or something.

On the positive side, the crime here, atleast random crime, is pretty rare and I have always felt reasonably safe, even when Rudolph was running around. ( But that's another story)

We ARE moving, in just a couple weeks, most likely to Kentucky, so I can finish school. I don't know if it will be "home" but atleast I'll be outta here. It's a pretty good place to vacation and get away from it all, but with the lack of jobs, atleast decent jobs, it's not the place most people think it is on first glance.

Old 07-20-2007, 01:48 PM

120 posts, read 168,891 times
I know of people who moved to NC and TN two years ago. Two years later they still have no "true" friends of any kind. They have people that they talk to at church, but that is about the extent of it. The people don't seem very outgoing (sp?) to newcomers.

Old 07-20-2007, 01:51 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,791,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida1 View Post
I know of people who moved to NC and TN two years ago. Two years later they still have no "true" friends of any kind. They have people that they talk to at church, but that is about the extent of it. The people don't seem very outgoing (sp?) to newcomers.
People are actually really down to earth in most of Florida, despite what many like to believe. Some people really think the grass is greener on the other side, and when they get to the greener grass, they either wear rose colored glasses, or soon enough, the grass will turn brown. No place is perfect, you must be content with where you live.

Old 07-20-2007, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fort lauderdale View Post
People are actually really down to earth in most of Florida, despite what many like to believe. Some people really think the grass is greener on the other side, and when they get to the greener grass, they either wear rose colored glasses, or soon enough, the grass will turn brown. No place is perfect, you must be content with where you live.
I think Florida people are some of the greatest! But honestly, do NOT have the reputation as being real friendly, especially when compared to NC/ SC etc. And I do agree to some extent that people should be content with where they are.However, if you've tried and still don't feel connected to where you are, there's nothing wrong with moving. Why stay somewhere you aren't happy?

Old 07-20-2007, 02:17 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,791,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happeemommee View Post
I think Florida people are some of the greatest! But honestly, do NOT have the reputation as being real friendly, especially when compared to NC/ SC etc. And I do agree to some extent that people should be content with where they are.However, if you've tried and still don't feel connected to where you are, there's nothing wrong with moving. Why stay somewhere you aren't happy?
I do agree with what you are saying, but it just bothers me how many people move somewhere else and expect everything to be perfect. Sure, the people are "have a nice day" friendly in SC/NC, but from what I have heard, they like to stab your back. Friend making is not easy. Florida has a more "northeastern" or "midwestern" vibe to it and is not really immediately friendly, but it's still down to earth, and everyone can find their place here. I just have found that, especially with the attitude of some on this forum, they needed to try and be more content with where they were in the first place, unless of course you are moving do to affordability reasons.

Old 07-20-2007, 02:29 PM

2,086 posts, read 7,621,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnVosilla View Post
'john vosilla, although raleigh is a city full of educated ppl, i think it is due to the colleges in the area. if you think the rest of the state is like that, you are certainly mistaken.'

Yes, you don't find that same mindset in other places in NC nor do you find it anyplace in Florida either..
The way I look at it John, is that if they want to think of NC that way, great! Less people coming up and complaining about the change of seasons and the fact that they actually moved to the true south where people don't feel the need to be anonymous.

Newsflash to anyone from FL thinking of moving to western NC. Yes, the area is gorgeous in the summer, but there are mountains and NC gets a winter. It is typically cold in the mountains during that time of year, rural in the mountains, and people are there whose families have lived there for generations. No one can really complain that western NC isn't like where you came from in FL and they aren't willing to change their way of life to accommodate. Surprise, surprise!

Of course the grass isn't greener, we actually get seasons up here. I know I have personally made some friends in just a year's time who I know I can count on. I have yet to meet a backstabber - but I was well schooled on how to spot those growing up in Miami, so I guess I have an advantage at being able to pick them out and avoid them to begin with. <shrug>

[sarcasm]NC is cold and backward! Stay where it's warm and there's lots of palm trees![/sarcasm] I'm certainly not going to defend any place to people who complain about things they should have already been aware of when they made the decision to move...whether it's somewhere in FL, NC, HI or wherever.

Old 07-20-2007, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiblue View Post
The way I look at it John, is that if they want to think of NC that way, great! Less people coming up and complaining about the change of seasons and the fact that they actually moved to the true south where people don't feel the need to be anonymous.

Newsflash to anyone from FL thinking of moving to western NC. Yes, the area is gorgeous in the summer, but there are mountains and NC gets a winter. It is typically cold in the mountains during that time of year, rural in the mountains, and people are there whose families have lived there for generations. No one can really complain that western NC isn't like where you came from in FL and they aren't willing to change their way of life to accommodate. Surprise, surprise!

Of course the grass isn't greener, we actually get seasons up here. I know I have personally made some friends in just a year's time who I know I can count on. I have yet to meet a backstabber - but I was well schooled on how to spot those growing up in Miami, so I guess I have an advantage at being able to pick them out and avoid them to begin with. <shrug>

[sarcasm]NC is cold and backward! Stay where it's warm and there's lots of palm trees![/sarcasm] I'm certainly not going to defend any place to people who complain about things they should have already been aware of when they made the decision to move...whether it's somewhere in FL, NC, HI or wherever.
I had to laugh at the "there are mountains" line. I can't tell you how many times I have heard people complain about the steep and curvy roads. HA! Ahhh, yeah! That's what happens when you are in the mountains. Although, I have to disagree about the snow. Most parts of the Nc mountains do get a good bit of snow. However, the Murphy / Hayesville area is lucky if we get enough to sled on once a year. I was actually expecting snow when I moved here and looking forward to it. I was disappointed!

And it's not that I can't pick out a back stabber, it's just that I have met them in droves here. And I'm not complaining, just stating my opinion. And it's not that the people are unfriendly, it's just that this is such a small community that they really don't need ( I've been told by several people point blank) any more friends with their entire family surrounding them. Again, not a complaint, just my opinion.

This is a lovely area and again, has a lot of positive points. I just feel it's better for vacations, not a permanent residence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida