Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2009, 10:36 AM

1 posts, read 4,236 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any feedback on what it's like to work for the VA Medical Center in Gainesville ?? I've applied for a few administrative jobs with them... I hear good and bad things about the VA hospitals elsewhere, some are great places to work others really awful work environments... I'm not looking for info on patient care, just info on how they treat their employees. Any thoughts you might have are appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2009, 08:16 PM

530 posts, read 1,459,957 times
I am here on contract seems ok, but everyone's situation will be different.

Old 08-05-2009, 08:12 AM

343 posts, read 1,045,672 times
I had a friend who worked there, he does maintenance, but he seems to like it there.

Old 08-06-2009, 06:37 AM

509 posts, read 1,679,840 times
I know people who work and volunteer at Gainesville VA and they love it there. They tell me what a great place it is, how they do so much for their patients, etc. My father is a VA patient and goes to clinics in Gainesville and Daytona and is very happy with his care. Good Luck!

Old 03-01-2010, 09:03 AM

51 posts, read 106,183 times
I have applied for for an area wide engineering position with the Gainesville/Lake City/Orlando VA as well and would like some input on Kentucy Mike's question on how they treat their employees.

Also, as a couple in our 30's with three young children, where would you live if you worked at the Gainseville VA with an occasional commute to the Lake City and Orlando VAs? First concern is quality schools and a secure neighboorhood. After that looking for youth sports programs, proximity to nice YMCA or fitness center, proximity to a larger contemporary christian church, "family friendly" neighboors, and ideally close to a park/jogging trails/swimming pool. Budget range is $200k max for a house.

The Hidden Oak or William Talbot elementary, Fort Clarke middle, and Buchholz high school district in NW Gainesville looks like probably the best district. But most home prices are out of our range. Also considering Ocala as the homes there are about 1/2 price of Gainesville--but not sure about the school system. Possibly the Vanguard HS area? Would also consider the small towns in the area, but would like to be within a 10 or 15 minute drive to a fitness center, church, and youth sports/park/kids activities. Shopping, restuarants, and other entertainment is not a big deal--we can drive for that. Any ideas?

Old 03-02-2010, 04:54 PM

8 posts, read 21,597 times
I have contracted wth the V/A in Gainsville, as places to work go on a scale of 1 - 10, I would give it a 3+. I'm used to working in the private sector, that may be why I don't think much of it. It's the government with most of their thorns.

Old 03-04-2010, 08:13 AM

Yeah, I've worked for the government (Air Force) for 6 years now so I'm used to the government "red tape". Some of the things that bother me most are having what seems like a hundred people review my work before it can be sent out. And 99 of those people don't have a clue what they're reviewing--most of the comments are "your left margin should be 1.2 inches instead of 1.1". We also get a ton of unfunded mandates, meaning, "You are required to {build/repair/replace/upgrade} this {facility/runway/equipment}...but we're not giving you any money to do it".

Old 03-04-2010, 08:18 AM

As for where to live: I'm still thinking the Hidden Oak elementary, Fort Clarke middle, and Buchholz high school district in NW Gainesville. Basically the area between Newberry Rd, I-75, NW 39th Ave, and NW 143rd St.

Of course I haven't actually seen any of these places yet so my opinion may change after we get there.

Last edited by ZTeam; 03-04-2010 at 09:33 AM..

Old 03-05-2010, 03:59 PM

1 posts, read 3,469 times
I receive `care` at this hospital (VA) every two weeks, They {Everybody} are fantastic here in Gainesville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida