Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2009, 04:47 PM

118 posts, read 479,939 times

Advertisements

so i will be driving to boston from orlando within the next few weeks by myself. i figured i would take 95 all the way. also im wondering if anyone else here had to do this by themselves? i was thinking about maybe staying at a cheap motel/hotel but debating on just pulling into a rest area and sleep but that is still up for debate. i figure i would drive 10-12hrs straight then rest. i think i would be in north carolina or virgina area by then. to all the veterans whos done this i just need some simple advise or tips. thnx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2009, 05:32 PM

793 posts, read 2,523,998 times
I have dozed in a rest stop or two in my travels but only ones patroled by state police or security, if none I stay at the local motel.

I95 map showing Emproia considered to be a nice area when I lived in Richmond and here is a link for rest areas alone I-95 in Virginia.

Happy Trails

Old 08-06-2009, 05:47 PM

13,611 posts, read 7,911,419 times
You should definitely make it to Virginia in a day. If you decide to stay in a hotel, I recommend Microtel if there is one on the way. It's cheap and clean. I have stayed in several Microtels and the chain is very consistent as far as cleanliness.

Old 08-07-2009, 12:12 AM

501 posts, read 1,881,585 times
This is a pretty easy drive. Traffic will be difficult in DC + NYC, DEPENDING on if you hit at peak rush hour commute periods (and your direction). SC is VERY boring and few radio stations (so bring music). VA is a NOTORIOUS SPEED TRAP!

If you have the time, make the best of it by seeing some sights along the way. You can book special hotel packages before you leave, or get coupon offers from chain hotels (i.e. holiday inn, clarion, etc.) and stay where you like on your own time, or my favorite motor travel hotel, AmeriSuites/Hyatt Place (great value):
Hotel Booking, Hotel With Kitchen, Online Hotel Reservation, Suites - AmeriSuites
Hotel Rooms & Free Discount Hotel Coupons - RoomSaver.com
travelcoupons.com-hotel, motel lodging coupon discounts for the traveler

I highly recommend stopping a bit off-track (I-95) for a fried chicken meal (or any meal) in Charleston (actually Mt Pleasant) SC at Gullah Cuisine (try soups/buffet!):
Gullah Cuisine :: Lunch Menu
//www.city-data.com/forum/charl...n-seafood.html

Staying overnight near DC and seeing the sights. Real cheese steak lunch in Philly. Wit!
http://www.610wip.com/pages/351421.php

An overnight package in NYC that includes parking to see a show or concert and meet up with old friends for dinner. A taste of real deli food for breakfast or lunch.

Chowder, lobster rolls and apple fritters in New England (w/ free attidude ) through CT and MA.

Boston traffic/drivers: priceless!

Last edited by daytonadewd; 08-07-2009 at 12:37 AM..

Old 08-31-2009, 08:11 AM

118 posts, read 479,939 times
so i will be making this drive on wed. are there any states where i should avoid speeding or the state troopers are total jerks? i plan on driving about 80-90mph.

Old 08-31-2009, 08:27 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,450,255 times
Where ever the road splits and there are huge trees in between the north and south bound lanes. I would watch your speed the police love to hide in between those trees. Hubby seems to get most of his tickets in GA.

Old 08-31-2009, 08:41 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,290,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
Where ever the road splits and there are huge trees in between the north and south bound lanes. I would watch your speed the police love to hide in between those trees. Hubby seems to get most of his tickets in GA.
LOL!!! I was going to say that South Carolina has always been my achilles' heel on that drive down 95...

Old 08-31-2009, 09:49 AM

1,135 posts, read 3,981,104 times
Ive done West Palm to Vermont but I take two days.
Im not a fan of driving. I go to SC regularly and lately
wont do I-95 thru Jacksonville. It's insanity !
For a real nice, laid back break from the interstate, jump
off I-95 and do 295 around Jacksonville and 17 along the coast of GA.
Get back on 95 in Brunswick/Darian, GA.
Ditto the GA police hiding in the bushes. SC's scary, too...
Stop at South of The Border for some fabulous freak watching
and weirdness
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida