Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 01:58 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,319,868 times

Advertisements

Sunsky, it sounds like you're not ready to leave Fla. and want to give it one more chance. Keep in mind that you'll have additional income now since you'll have a job. (I know, like going to school isn't a job, but I mean you'll have an additional income in your household) Good luck in whichever area you decide to live in. Don't be alarmed at the high price of food~it's like that all over and part of it has to do with such high gas prices. Those big semis take a lot of gas and the items just have to go up unfortunately. And like someone else said, Seattle and Cali would be much more expensive then Fla.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2007, 11:50 AM

170 posts, read 568,040 times
Pinellas County is nice as is Brevard County. Don't go to Kissimmee, I live there. People are leaving right and left.

Old 05-04-2007, 12:36 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,033,362 times
I would stay away from Kissimmee. Palm Bay/Melbourne are much better.

Old 05-09-2007, 07:59 AM

18 posts, read 61,990 times
Smile School Quality & cost of living

I live in Duval county (Jacksonville). The quality of schools vary from one school to the next. The neighboring county, Clay, has a good school system and many move to Clay county before their kids hit middle school age, where things seem to decline in Duval. The cost of living in this area is less than south and central Florida. Homeowner's insurance in Clay county is less than Duval as it is a little further inland. Property taxes can vary from neighborhood to neighborhood, but at least in Florida, that is something you can research in advance, unlike some other states. Ours in Jacksonville are fairly low in comparison. The new thing that many developers do is "planned neighborhoods" called "community development districts" which results in CDD fees. If the development has CDD fees, they can vary depending on what amenities are available. One place developing near here has CDD fees of $3800 annually but the sales person never mentioned that. Then they have homeowner association fees on top of that. So be sure to inquire about CDD. Of course, you can still find neighborhoods with no CDD and very low or no homeowner's association fees as well. It all depends on what you want your neighborhood to offer. The price of housing in Clay county seems to have dipped a little quicker than Duval county so there may be some good bargains there. Jacksonville and the surrounding area is great for employment and salaries match up well with cost of living. If you like rural areas, there are still many to be found in all of Duval's surrounding counties. Nassau county has a lot to offer as well. Don't forget, if you leave Florida, you are automatically going to pay state income tax. Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed I would also say if you have been in your home for 15 years and you are settled in and your taxes are homesteaded in at a lower rate, you may find that the increase in property tax for even a comparable house would be substantial. The cost to move can be tremendous. It could cost you less to put the kids in a private or parochial school, plan meals by what's on sale and stay put.
Just a word of caution that keeps me in a house that is really too large for us now that the kids have left the nest.

Last edited by Yac; 01-08-2008 at 05:01 AM..

Old 05-09-2007, 09:26 AM

3,413 posts, read 8,808,247 times
Don't go to Kissimmee............... worse than what you are experiencing in Clermont.

Pinellas is very nice- although quite crowded and built out. I don't know how the real estate market is there-

Brevard is nice- and probably more affordable.

Old 05-09-2007, 09:28 AM

467 posts, read 1,484,436 times
Definitely check out Melbourne area. and Palm Bay..You could build a nice
house in Palm Bay very reasonably. I agree, stay away from Kissimmee...not
such a great area. Good luck

Old 05-09-2007, 10:31 AM

63 posts, read 389,172 times
We moved there for one year and hated every single second we were there.

I made very good money and we lived in a comfortable home. The cost of living there is STUPID the schools SUCK.

We could buy online and ship groceries to our door cheaper than we could buy them in the grocery store.

My wife home schooled our kids because the schools are so bad. Just because you live across the street from a good school does not mean your kids will go there. It is stupidity at it's best. Oh sure if you know someone they will get your kids in the "good schools" GRRRRR

Yep we moved away

Old 05-11-2007, 09:45 AM

1 posts, read 2,715 times
im thinking of moving to clermont from bradenton florida. i love bradenton but am looking at to move because my daughter wants to pursue and opportunity there. my kids are 10 and 14. why exactly did you hate it? how did the schools suck? can you send me some details please? im
traveling there this weekend to scope the place out. it seems more affordable than where we're living now(near the coast).

Old 05-11-2007, 07:56 PM

39 posts, read 53,021 times
i'd go to north carolina in a heart beat.............the schools can't be that much worse than FL

i also live on the space coast so you can PM me for info if u want

Old 05-11-2007, 08:05 PM

114 posts, read 748,931 times
Default Pinellas is nice

I moved to Countryside, Clearwater area and it is so nice and I am from New England. I really liked it and was happy about living there. I moved back up north because of problems with my husband but want to move back. Nice parks, good schools and malls. If you love Florida ,I would check it out before you leave the state. Florida has so much to offer and I would want your children's imput since they spend a great deal of time in the community.

Palm Harbor is nice too. Good Luck on where you decide to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida