Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2007, 02:32 PM

37 posts, read 162,952 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I would like to talk to some people who actually live in the town of St. Augustine.
My husband and I are thinking about moving up from the Daytona Beach area as this area is becoming overrun with partyers, loud kids, and bikeweek 2x year.
We are looking for a quiet area to live in that is not going to price us out of our paycheck.
I realize we will have to pay more in rent than we are now (500/month) but are ok with that as long as we can have quiet.
I dont think I will have a problem finding a job, I might be able to transfer the one I have (location in St. Augustine) if not, I still dont think I would have a problem. Work is not a concern.
Want to know if the college poses a problem with loud college kids all over town and cars blasting their stereos at all hours of the night.
What is the best side of town, I know once you get out of the downtown it is a different world, so I dont know much about the rest as far as shopping/malls etc. Crime? any feedback on that? it's is getting bad here with the kids/teenagers being bored and breaking into cars and homes.
This is a BORING town which is why I think everyone parties at home. Too many rednecks and college kids for my taste.
Any help or feedback, a more family friendly atmosphere I guess is what we are looking for (even though we have no kids).
thanks much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2007, 07:41 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,469,061 times
Hi Tonsoffunsy,

It's been a few years since I lived in St. Aug (I'm in Jax now), but I can give you some ideas.

If you can get a job transfer to St. Aug, you will have a big advantage. Much of the working population of St. Aug has to commute to Jacksonville for employment. The existing jobs in St. Aug tend to be retail or restaurant work, not too many high paying jobs. Plenty of retired folks in St. Aug and that affects the economics of an area.

Flagler college is beautiful and the campus is right there in downtown St. Aug. The college kids really add a nice element to downtown - some funky coffee shops, that kind of thing. Always seemed like nice kids to me.

You're right - "in-town" St. Aug and the outskirts are two different things entirely. Downtown is expensive...people live there, and there used to be a smattering of cheap rentals, but I would not be suprised if those don't exist at all anymore.

No major crime problems overall.

St. Aug is definitely family-friendly (much of NE FL is). It's a bit too quiet for my taste, but that's just a personal preference. There is shopping, and more coming all the time, but outside of the basics, you might find the need to travel to Jax from time to time for shopping. No lack of restaurants in St. Aug.

St. Johns County is big, so it's hard to say "oh this is the area to live". I would suggest posting your specific needs on the Jacksonville board (which tends to be Jax/St. Aug/Clay county coverage) on rental needs: price, square footage, amenities, urban/suburban/rural, commute time, etc.

Old 05-13-2007, 05:33 AM

3,758 posts, read 8,443,034 times
I used to live in Orange Park and Jacksonville and visited St. Augustine many times. I really love it there. Not sure about the economics of it etc. Good luck!

Old 05-14-2007, 10:37 AM

1,343 posts, read 5,170,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonsoffunsy View Post
Hello,
I would like to talk to some people who actually live in the town of St. Augustine.
My husband and I are thinking about moving up from the Daytona Beach area as this area is becoming overrun with partyers, loud kids, and bikeweek 2x year.
I realize we will have to pay more in rent than we are now (500/month) but are ok with that as long as we can have quiet.
Want to know if the college poses a problem with loud college kids all over town and cars blasting their stereos at all hours of the night.
This is a BORING town which is why I think everyone parties at home. Too many rednecks and college kids for my taste.

I don't live in St. Augustine, but am curious where you found an apartment in Daytona for only $500 a month, and which college kids? Spring breakers or Embry-Riddle?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida