Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2009, 02:57 AM

2 posts, read 4,898 times

Advertisements

By the way...hello as I'm new to the forum thing. As the title states my wife got orders to Eglin AFB and we'll be heading south in the next month. We're currently looking at some nice homes in the Fort Walton Beach area and submitted an offer to a home just across from the Fort Walton Beach golf course. We've been down there a few times as my mother is a nurse in Destin and love the area. I'm really looking forward to the move from the frozen tundra and some what year round golf. I'm still trying to find out more about the HOA fees and all the other hidden fees within our community. If anyone knows anything about the HOA fees in the are feel free to chime in. Any who have a safe and blessed weekend!

David
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2009, 05:57 AM

2,414 posts, read 5,401,157 times
welcome to Florida!

Old 08-09-2009, 06:47 AM

807 posts, read 3,187,166 times
I can't answer your question, but welcome to the Panhandle!

Your wife seems to be luckier than most...

Old 08-09-2009, 09:33 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
Welcome! If you can make the employment situation work, it really is a great place to live. When you say across from the FWB golf course, are you talking the Kenwood neighborhood to the east of it or one of those newer neighborhoods north of Lewis Turner Blvd? I'd always thought Kenwood was old enough to predate HOAs save for maybe passing the hat every year to pay for a community boat launch.

The property taxes aren't too bad from here unless you're using Alabama as a comparison point, but you will end up paying two or three times more than what you're currently paying for homeowner's insurance rates. (Which considering the area's record with hurricanes is understandable)

Start with FWB municipal, and add in the base courses at Eglin, Hurlburt, and NAS Pensacola and the par-3 Golf Garden in Destin and you've got a decent number of good lower priced course options in the area along with the odd splurge at the resort courses like Sandestin.

Old 08-09-2009, 04:29 PM

97 posts, read 278,805 times
That's great! I am so envious of you. Wish we were heading down there this next month, but hopefully, our time will come soon too! Good luck with the move!

Old 08-10-2009, 02:47 AM

2 posts, read 4,898 times
Actually, we're looking at a house in North Ridge subdivision. I've already got hired at Fort Walton Beach hospital, so hopefully things will come together in the long run. My wife really loves it down there. We'll be visiting in the next week and will try to get everything accomplished before the big move. I did some research and our neighborhood HOA fees are $135 annually. Our taxes seem high as well, but I guess we'll know more after we close on this house. I submitted our earnest money, so hopefully everything goes as planned. I can't wait for some year round golf and I'm looking at becoming a member of Eglin AFB golf course. Heard many great things about the Eagle and Falcon course. My uncle is a golf pro at Seascape and I'll be able to play there often, but Hwy 98 traffic is crazy at times. Any who, I hope everyone has a safe and blessed week. God bless!

David

Old 08-10-2009, 07:56 AM

97 posts, read 278,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeg1502 View Post
Actually, we're looking at a house in North Ridge subdivision. I've already got hired at Fort Walton Beach hospital, so hopefully things will come together in the long run. My wife really loves it down there. We'll be visiting in the next week and will try to get everything accomplished before the big move. I did some research and our neighborhood HOA fees are $135 annually. Our taxes seem high as well, but I guess we'll know more after we close on this house. I submitted our earnest money, so hopefully everything goes as planned. I can't wait for some year round golf and I'm looking at becoming a member of Eglin AFB golf course. Heard many great things about the Eagle and Falcon course. My uncle is a golf pro at Seascape and I'll be able to play there often, but Hwy 98 traffic is crazy at times. Any who, I hope everyone has a safe and blessed week. God bless!

David
Mind if I ask what you will be doing at Fort Walton Beach Hospital? I am an RN and wondering.....

Old 08-10-2009, 08:00 AM

2,224 posts, read 3,613,678 times
LA is very nice... Lower Alabama that is, thats what the Eglin area is called sometimes. The beach is nice, the people are pretty cool. Aside from it being a tourist area its a pretty good place. Assignment wise EGLIN and Hurlburt are both good bases. Depending on her AFSC she could really enjoy it there. I was there before and my best friend is there now. He's actually selling his home as his family got orders to Holloman New Mexico....oh the joy of that. Anyway enjoy the area there is lots to do in the summer, in the winter it dies out but its still not so bad.

Old 08-10-2009, 08:55 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
Best of luck with the closing! After you close, I'd have a look at what the county claims is fair market value of the house and whether that reflects what you paid for the house. You may be able to get a downward adjustment if the current owner is still paying based on 2006 value. Also make sure to file the homestead exemption property tax paperwork with the county. It can save you a couple hundred bucks a year.

Old 08-10-2009, 12:03 PM

1,310 posts, read 3,052,303 times
Good to have you as a....Panhandler !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida