Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 07:48 AM

31 posts, read 133,842 times

Advertisements

Wife wants to move to Florida. Where is it most tolerable for someone like me who doesn't like heat and humidity? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2009, 07:56 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,025,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davistt View Post
Wife wants to move to Florida. Where is it most tolerable for someone like me who doesn't like heat and humidity? Thanks.
North Florida is less hot, obviously, than South Florida. But in the summer it is still going be like standing at the gates of hell as opposed to being in it.

Old 08-11-2009, 08:06 AM

1,437 posts, read 3,758,302 times
Nowhere. If you hate heat and humidity and move to FL you will be absolutely miserable. I spent the first 35 years of my life in FL and never adjusted to the heat. Some people are just predisposed to like cooler climates. People will tell you "you'll get used to it" when talking about the FL heat, but that's not true.

Good luck!

Old 08-11-2009, 08:24 AM

3,043 posts, read 7,674,595 times
Stay as close to the ocean as possible. Do not live inland.

Old 08-11-2009, 08:45 AM

26,585 posts, read 61,800,013 times
I would look at more temperate climates like the Carolina shore if you hate the heat and humidity.

Old 08-11-2009, 09:00 AM

4,836 posts, read 11,948,734 times
The more inland you go the worse, so Orlando is hotter than Miami even though it is more North that small difference does not change much in the summer, in the winter though Orlando gets a lot cooler than Miami. I would say Key West and the Florida Keys are the coolest places small islands surrounded by ocean makes it cooler than most of the other places. The closer you are to the ocean the better.

Old 08-11-2009, 09:43 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,366,114 times
North Florida on the Atlantic Coast is your best bet. The east coast stays cooler than the west coast of Florida. And north Florida is cooler than South Florida. So look at Jacksonville area if you want to be in Florida. Like others have mentioned Northern GA, SC an d NC may be another option. They get hot and humid too, but only for 3-4 months.

Old 08-11-2009, 10:43 AM

704 posts, read 1,271,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
North Florida is less hot, obviously, than South Florida. But in the summer it is still going be like standing at the gates of hell as opposed to being in it.
Avoid Tallahassee area. Hot as heck in the summer and one of the coldest spots in the winter.

Old 08-11-2009, 10:51 AM

2,414 posts, read 5,378,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
The more inland you go the worse, so Orlando is hotter than Miami even though it is more North that small difference does not change much in the summer, in the winter though Orlando gets a lot cooler than Miami. I would say Key West and the Florida Keys are the coolest places small islands surrounded by ocean makes it cooler than most of the other places. The closer you are to the ocean the better.
I think the sun is a lot more intense in south Florida (than Orlando) though. Whenever I drive down there it's very noticeable.

Old 08-11-2009, 11:22 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,088,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davistt View Post
Short answer: Indoors.

Somewhat longer answer: nowhere. All of Florida suffers oppressive heat and humidty throughout summer, which can last from late April to late October.

Long answer: You will get more moderate temperatures anywhere along the coast, but you really DO have to be on the coast - as in no more than a mile or two inland to notice a difference.

Inland it will be hotter. Much hotter.

So you can live on the coast in South Florida and have balmy temps but still pretty hot year round, or live on the coast in North Florida with balmy temps and an actual fall and winter. North Florida gets seasons. South Florida does not.

Best bet: coastal NORTH Florida, probably the Gulf side/Panhandle. You get the moderating effect of the water + you get a fall and mild winter season, so it's not Cool Hand Luke hot all year round. There are also more trees in North Florida to mitigate the heat.

Worst: an asphalt jungle in inland South or Central Florida. Pure hell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida