Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 08:40 AM

3 posts, read 19,004 times

Advertisements

Came from N.Y. suburbs, over 3 years ago.

Mother Nature!

Quite, affordable and near the Atlantic Ocean. (Treasure Coast).

No time at all.

No question.

so much better, in many ways.

It depends on the person. Florida is all about the climate. For some people like my wife and I it simply is paradise.

I believe that mother nature has always been the number one reason to live here.

The are many diffent types of life styes, fast, slow, crowded, night life, quite secluded. Take the time to search for what suites you and you will find it. Pay little attention to the current "Real Estate" talk. It's a buyers market (not an investors market). So, I would recommend you get what you want, where you want as soon as you are ready and you will be happy if what mother nature offers here suites you.

Tom
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2007, 09:31 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,294,655 times
Great video hiknapster..... Don't care about the propaganda for Paul one way or another, but the video is great...

Old 10-23-2007, 02:06 PM

33 posts, read 184,374 times
1. Where did you come from and how long have you been in Florida

Okay, so I'm actually originally from Florida...but from Pensacola (5 miles from the Alabama line). I moved to Orlando 6 yrs ago to go to school. I was in Pensacola for 22 yrs and have been in Orlando for 6...for a grand total of 29 yrs! =) It looks as my new hubby and I may be heading to Missouri soon tho for job advancement.

2. What was the most important reason you moved to Florida?

Well, I was born into it...LOL but I moved to Orlando for school and I just loved the town. I had several options of places to move for school and Orlando was my favorite city.

3. What make you pick the area you moved?

Already stated...cause of school. Chose to stay after graduation cause I loved the city of Orlando...had lots to do and was great for someone single. Everyone was from someplace else and I made tons of friends here. I chose to live in East Orlando even after graduation just because I like the area.

4. How long did it take you to get comfortable with the move?

A month maybe

5. If you had to do it over again would you still move, if no, would you have chosen another area in Florida?

I would do it over again in a hearbeat. Moving to Orlando was the best decision I could have ever made. My life has changed drastically since I moved here.

6. Is your "overall " life better or worse in Florida then where you moved from?

Absolutely BETTER! I met my husband here and I have made the greatest friends ever here =)

7. Would you recommend others move to Florida?

YES, but I'm biased because I was born and raised here near the coastlines. I for one am nervous about moving to the midwest. Florida to me is home and I just love the warm weather and Palm trees. HOWEVER, despite whatever statistics say about the job market...it really sucks. So many of my friends have a hard time finding work in their field after graduation.

Old 10-23-2007, 03:19 PM

1,080 posts, read 4,586,689 times
Moved from New Jersey and have been here over 20 yrs

My folks were ill and I being the only child........well,

To be fairly close to folks, but not on top of them.

NEVER..........wanted to move after mom died, stayed for dad, then husband died, then dad died, got stuck here.

5. If you had to do it over again would you still move, if no, would you have chosen another area in Florida?
I want out of Florida all together, can't stand the place, bad memories

6. Is your "overall " life better or worse in Florida then where you moved from?
I am very isolated with no family around, my children moved North to get out of the heat.

Everyone is different what is great for one is a horror for another, I have never recommended FL to anyone, in fact, I've talked several people out of it and they are happy in other states, NC, TN or GA

I hate to sound negative all the time, and I know people that love it here, and good for them, enjoy life and be happy, but there are some negatives that just won't go away, the heat, which I hate, kills my eyes, my fairskin
and nasty people......don't throw rocks at me, please...but in the last 5 yrs there are more and more nasty people coming here, making demands of well we had this or that and where is it I want it now.......if you loved this or that why'd you move here? Gets me crazy sometimes and the school system is a horror, I put 5 kids through the schools here, well, enough said or they'll be stoning me here. I'd say if you have a GOOD job lined up with great pay, and you can afford the HOA and taxes, the heat and the school system, by all means move........but do your homework very well and check out every little thing.....or you too, could be miserable.

Old 10-23-2007, 03:44 PM

3,928 posts, read 11,600,605 times
Thumbs up This keeps poppin' up, so here goes...

• Moved to Tampa from the foothills of East Tennessee in 1983
  • Work. There was very little demand and low pay for technology consultants anywhere in Tennessee in the 1980s.
  • My husband got a great job offer and the demand for both our skills was very good at that time
  • It took three years for my pores to close...I wasn't used to the heat. I'm still not used to being around large groups of people.
  • Yes indeed. I would still move and happy it was to Tampa. Hubby worked 6 years commuting off and on to Miami but we just couldn't bring ourselves to move our family there.
  • Financially, my life is much better
  • YES! I believe that anyone who dreams or thinks of moving to Florida (or anywhere else for that matter) should at least give it try or you may regret it later. Of course, that could go the other way. My grandparents dreamed of retiring to Florida. After working through the "earning years" my grandmother got Parkinson's disease and they never got to leave the homestead. I feel like I'm helping to live their dream just by being here.

Old 10-23-2007, 03:56 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,159,933 times
Originally NYC, Retired from USAF after 22 years of military service, relocated from Grand Forks AFB ND to Navarre Fl in 1998. Lived in Florida 16 years.

Another military reassignment, had 7 in 22 years (Utah, Panama, Flroida (Satellite Beach & Homestead), San Antonio Tx, Grand Forks ND, Iceland, Navarre Fl)

USAF picked the location, another assignment.

Days

5. If you had to do it over again would you still move, if no, would you have chosen another area in Florida? This is a perfect place, housing was not expensive, great community, great job and pay, great friends...

Way better, working on 2nd retirement in seven years

7. Would you recommend others move to Florida? Yes, but is what you make of the place, not what the place makes of you.

If you have any opinions/advise on anyone moving to Florida, what would they be? easy one, do your research and visit the location. Having a job makes the transition a lot easier...

Old 10-23-2007, 09:53 PM

40 posts, read 110,973 times
This is a great thread! I'm moving to NE FL here in a few weeks, and though I've visited and know I will like it, it's always nice to read about experiences others have had.
I've moved around the country (and Europe) most of my life, so I'm used to the stresses that are inherent to picking up your life and moving it somewhere else, and I've come to realize that it really is all about your attitude. Life is what you make it (as the saying goes).

Keep the responses coming!

Old 10-28-2007, 12:44 AM

40 posts, read 170,993 times
Default For those who moved to Florida, tell us....

First, I want you to know that I am a realtor. Having said that, I don't want to preclude myself from having an opinion about the subject as I did not want to move to Florida when we moved here, also, I did not become a realtor until after 4 years of residency in Palm Coast, Florida, and realized that the place sells itself to people who just come to visit relatived, or to even just eat at the store that I worked in, or even just to gas up, so I changed professions. So, in answer to your questions....

We came from Queens, New York, and we have lived here in the same town, now a city, for 18 years.

My husband summarily decided to quit his job at Bankers Trust after he saw the lot I bought in the town where we now live. He's sick and tired of the snow, the, crime, and pollution in New York and told me he'll die early if we don't move. And I was not about to be the sole provider while he's living here. I thought that was a good enough incentive, plus his new Acura that he wouldn't lend me, was stolen a month before he moved, and my Honda was broken into by bums in Brooklyn Heights, the week before I decided to follow, when I went there just to drop off some chinese food to my mother. So I said, that's it, I'm outta here....

ITT/Sheraton who developed Palm Coast brought a lot of people from all over the snow belt, offering them free 3days 2nights vacation for $99, including plane, hotel, and food, to see the place. It was a very good deal, and I found Palm Coast as a green community and the residents very friendly. It was originally conceived as a retirement area and only had one stop light when I bought the lot in 1988. It also helped that they have no recorded hurricane landfall for more than 100 years (crossing my fingers).

We rented for 6 months, I realized that the weather is more comfortable here than central or south Florida, we even get hailstones sometimes, and it gets real cold in January/February that I get to use my raccoon coat that my husband said I wouldn't need. Housing was so inexpensive then that we decided to buy after that.

My husband originally questioned why I chose Palm Coast, it was not even in the map until the great fire of 1997 (not sure anymore of the year as it's been awhile), but it sure put us on TV. What's amazing was most people built again, very few people left, and as a matter of fact a lot of construction started after that. He said why not in the Kissimmee area, I told him, I'd rather stay in NY if I have to live there. I wanted a quiet, green place where the residents are friendly, a nice bedroom community.

The quality of our lives has vastly improved. Palm Coast has changed from a retirement area to a young community. A lot of young families arrived, we build schools like almost yearly, the public school system fluctuates between A and B rating, but mostly A, we are only 15 minutes to the beach from all areas of Palm Coast, golfing, fishing and other water sport, and soon to be constructed public tennis courts can be found here, we are halfway (30 minutes each way) between St. Augustine and Daytona Beach should people get bored and want some nightlife.

I have had inquiries from frineds and relatives, and referrrals from clients asking this question. I always say that Florida salary is not comparable with the big cities, but the quality of life is unquestionably in existence here. So my advice is pay off debts, save some money, and if you have a house you can sell back home, to sell it and pay for your housing needs ( where you can buy more and better for your money, especially now) here. If you live simply, you wouldn't have to worry about salaries too much, as we have no state and city taxes in Florida, so take home pay is lots better than in cities that has them. So unless the financial situation is dire, yes, I would recommend they move..

Old 10-28-2007, 12:56 AM

1,999 posts, read 1,662,683 times
I am glad this post got revived by new people.

It is very interesting to see everyones point of view, good or bad and I am sure many people will use this thread for information.

Thanks everyone for such great post.

Old 12-20-2007, 02:23 PM

1 posts, read 1,534 times
Unhappy I Wouldn't Do It Over Again....

The purpose of this thread is to ask the following questions.

For those who moved to Florida from somewhere else and have been there for awhile could you please answer some of these and also add your own tidbits as well.

1. Where did you come from and how long have you been in Florida?

My family and I moved from Queens, NY to Homestead , Florida. We were in Florida for 8 months.

My husband had always wanted to move to Florida because he two brothers moved there from NY. They both have nice houses and in NY we were not able to afford a house of our own.

My husband's company offered him a job for the Miami Performing Arts Center. He took the job and we moved bought a townhouse.

The prices of the houses.

I was never comfortable there was always something missing. Yes I did have a nice townhouse but I didn't feel right in Florida. On the news all I heard was people getting shot and killed by guns and dying in traffic accidents. Even before I moved to Florida I knew two friends who had lost loved ones due to car accidents. At a school I was working as a paraprofessional I met two children who lost a parent to traffic accidents.

I wouldn't do it over again. My husband was laid off after 6 months of employment in Florida. He was laid off with no other option than to go on unemployment.

In my position I was worse off in Florida. The only source of income was my husband's when he was laid off, I had to come back to NY and get my old job back. The fruits and vegetable was so expensive compared to NY prices. I was in shock cause I thought it would be cheaper....

No definitely NOT!!! I had to leave my husband and kids for 3 months so I could get my old job back and make the mortgage payments. My family finally joined me after the kids finished school. We had to live with my mother for sometime.

I did work for 2 months as a paraprofessional at an elementary school where I was getting paid $6 an hr. The pay was not worth the aggravation of dealing with kids with behavior problem which I have no experience dealing with.

Many of us want and are looking to move to Florida and who better to ask them those who have done what we want, move from somewhere else to Florida then you guys.

Many posters on this board seem to be extremely happy with moving there, whether they moved 30 years ago or 6 months ago.

If you have any opinions/advise on anyone moving to Florida, what would they be?

Last edited by AROMERO624; 12-20-2007 at 02:25 PM.. Reason: forgot to mention
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida