Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 12:16 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,432,349 times

Advertisements

That's a lot of good ideas, Shores, but they'll only work for the upper middle class. But there isn't much that the lower class or the lower middle class could cut out because they have always done those things. Trust me, I know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2007, 12:39 PM

10 posts, read 20,778 times
"Essential services" that WILL face cuts if counties have their revenues slashed include: water treatment, police protection, waste management, highway building, emergency response (unless they are tied into the fire department in your local county). What some might call "optional services" which will be affected include: libraries, parks, animal control, public health services, board of elections, and your district court system.
Shall each department or agency slash 20% across the board?
Florida has 67 very diverse counties. They all have needs specific to their county. They should be managed at the county level ... not by the state. No one is saying there can not be a reduction, but it should be managed by each county according to their needs. Some counties in Florida have had a decrease in population of .4% Others have increased by over 30%. Their budgetary needs are vastly different! If you live in a county with tremendous growth, there is a huge outlay of cash that needs to support the necessary infrastructure for that growth. If you live in a county with a low growth rate, your tax structure should not fluctuate much. My point is, keep government small and close. Don't let control of your county leave your county and go to the state.

Old 04-30-2007, 01:25 PM

2,209 posts, read 7,653,487 times
Rattle your chains when you've had enough!

Old 04-30-2007, 02:32 PM

628 posts, read 1,833,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downsville View Post
"Essential services" that WILL face cuts if counties have their revenues slashed include: water treatment, police protection, waste management, highway building, emergency response (unless they are tied into the fire department in your local county). What some might call "optional services" which will be affected include: libraries, parks, animal control, public health services, board of elections, and your district court system.
Shall each department or agency slash 20% across the board?
Florida has 67 very diverse counties. They all have needs specific to their county. They should be managed at the county level ... not by the state. No one is saying there can not be a reduction, but it should be managed by each county according to their needs. Some counties in Florida have had a decrease in population of .4% Others have increased by over 30%. Their budgetary needs are vastly different! If you live in a county with tremendous growth, there is a huge outlay of cash that needs to support the necessary infrastructure for that growth. If you live in a county with a low growth rate, your tax structure should not fluctuate much. My point is, keep government small and close. Don't let control of your county leave your county and go to the state.
Sorry but the local counties have not shown the propensity to manage responsibly. They may know best what their local needs are but they lack the skill and maturity to manage appropriately – this has been evident for the last 5+ years. There’s a lot of finger pointing and it’s the general population together with state legislators pointing at the local governments. I guess you think everyone but our local snake oil salesmen/woman (politicians) is wrong. NOT

Ps you sound like you’re a member of the Florida Association of Counties???? Or in Local government????

Old 04-30-2007, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
That's a lot of good ideas, Shores, but they'll only work for the upper middle class. But there isn't much that the lower class or the lower middle class could cut out because they have always done those things. Trust me, I know.
You’re right about how much individuals can do – each situation is unique. BTW I meant eating out 2-3 time a month now vs 2-3 times a week previously. Fact is if people were not so pressed to conserve at every opportunity because of the tax man squeezing them dry we might spend a bit more and there would be more spread around to the lower incomes.

Do you think the server who I was tipping 2-3 times a week is struggling to make rent now that more and more people are conserving on their entertainment budget?

How about my lawn service guy – he has a family. What happens to him if half his route cancels? And what happens to FLA when more people leave the state then come here to live?

Something needs to be done – what's going on now is not working. Either tax us to death and most of us will leave or put local government on a big diet but something’s got to break

Old 04-30-2007, 03:27 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,739,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shores9 View Post
You’re right about how much individuals can do – each situation is unique. BTW I meant eating out 2-3 time a month now vs 2-3 times a week previously. Fact is if people were not so pressed to conserve at every opportunity because of the tax man squeezing them dry we might spend a bit more and there would be more spread around to the lower incomes.

Do you think the server who I was tipping 2-3 times a week is struggling to make rent now that more and more people are conserving on their entertainment budget?

How about my lawn service guy – he has a family. What happens to him if half his route cancels? And what happens to FLA when more people leave the state then come here to live?

Something needs to be done – what's going on now is not working. Either tax us to death and most of us will leave or put local government on a big diet but something’s got to break
More sensible words for thought. The more money that goes to taxes the less for the local economy. Every day I get closer to leaving, it's just not worth it to be trying to better yourself and others, and waste time fighting the system. There has to be a better place than this.

Old 04-30-2007, 04:09 PM

10 posts, read 20,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shores9 View Post
Sorry but the local counties have not shown the propensity to manage responsibly. They may know best what their local needs are but they lack the skill and maturity to manage appropriately – this has been evident for the last 5+ years. There’s a lot of finger pointing and it’s the general population together with state legislators pointing at the local governments. I guess you think everyone but our local snake oil salesmen/woman (politicians) is wrong. NOT

Ps you sound like you’re a member of the Florida Association of Counties???? Or in Local government????
None of the above. Have never been in government nor do I have a family member who has ever been a government employee (except for a son-in-law who is career military). My undergraduate was economics. I have a keen interest in the economic process of both our local and state government.
I can only speak for the county in which I live. It does seem to be managed responsibly. If not, we would not re-elect them overwhelmingly as the trend here goes. There are and should be several fiscal watchdogs. Our county budget is scrutinized by the independent Productivity Committee, the Planning Commission, and Development Services Association Committee before it is passed. The productivity committee has recently added value audits to their review process. The budget can be reviewed on line anytime.Our government channel runs live broadcasts of all county and city meetings and then reruns them frequently. There is very little excuse for not being aware of what is happening on the local level here.
I do not feel far removed from my local county government. The same can not be said about my state government.

Old 04-30-2007, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by downsville View Post
None of the above. Have never been in government nor do I have a family member who has ever been a government employee (except for a son-in-law who is career military). My undergraduate was economics. I have a keen interest in the economic process of both our local and state government.
I can only speak for the county in which I live. It does seem to be managed responsibly. If not, we would not re-elect them overwhelmingly as the trend here goes. There are and should be several fiscal watchdogs. Our county budget is scrutinized by the independent Productivity Committee, the Planning Commission, and Development Services Association Committee before it is passed. The productivity committee has recently added value audits to their review process. The budget can be reviewed on line anytime.Our government channel runs live broadcasts of all county and city meetings and then reruns them frequently. There is very little excuse for not being aware of what is happening on the local level here.
I do not feel far removed from my local county government. The same can not be said about my state government.
So what county do you reside? I have been trying to find budget specific information on Pinellas county and the PSTA but only summaries are available online.

And has your county's revenues increased greater than 10% a year for the last 5 years. Not just Real Estate taxes but revenues on all taxes and fees? Pinellas has, Hillsborough has much of south Fla counties have… seen a nearly 100% increase in property taxes alone.

Old 04-30-2007, 05:05 PM

944 posts, read 3,846,978 times
Shores9, you're a trip, man.

Let me make sure I have this right: you move down to sunny Florida from Metro NYC, buy multiple properties, fly around in a plane, drink mochiachocolatinis, and now complain about taxes. I'm very sorry to hear that you have to wash your own car again. Just another example of how awful the Florida lifestyle has become.

I really, really hope Carl Hiaasen is lurking and taking notes; you're quite the character.

Old 04-30-2007, 05:29 PM

165 posts, read 656,897 times
Gotta love you muggy hehe I think people think if they lower the property taxes the houses will go up .I DON't THINK SOOOOOOOO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida