Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What made you move to Florida?
The sunny warm weather (the winters are too long and cold where I am from) 17 47.22%
The people in Florida 1 2.78%
The culture 4 11.11%
Job transfer 5 13.89%
Family lives here 5 13.89%
My spouse wanted to move to Florida (I did not) 1 2.78%
Cheaper real estate 4 11.11%
To get away from the earthquakes 0 0%
Retirement 0 0%
The beaches 11 30.56%
The "landscape" (palm tree's, flat land, etc...) 7 19.44%
To find a better job here 5 13.89%
To find a "soul mate" 1 2.78%
Moved here cause of friends 1 2.78%
School 1 2.78%
The air is cleaner (less pollution) 2 5.56%
Safer in Florida 1 2.78%
Cost of living is Cheaper in Florida 6 16.67%
Other (Please explain) 10 27.78%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 08:09 PM

606 posts, read 1,231,655 times

Advertisements

I thought that this would be an interesting poll as well, what made you move to sunny Florida? Please check all that apply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2009, 08:43 PM

23,410 posts, read 36,823,016 times
I got a divorce very young, and came home to my mother..... she had remarried, he was batsh*t crazy, and moved her here from Missouri.
The upside? I met the love of my life ( Florida native) while plotting my escape back to Missouri! We have a 17 year old daughter, and now he is helping me plan my escape. He can just not deal with what has happened to his hometown (Orlando), nor his state.

Old 08-24-2009, 10:00 PM

976 posts, read 1,101,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
I got a divorce very young, and came home to my mother..... she had remarried, he was batsh*t crazy, and moved her here from Missouri.
The upside? I met the love of my life ( Florida native) while plotting my escape back to Missouri! We have a 17 year old daughter, and now he is helping me plan my escape. He can just not deal with what has happened to his hometown (Orlando), nor his state.

^^^ Sounds like me.

Old 08-25-2009, 05:54 AM

5,643 posts, read 9,594,961 times
My husband was out of work and got a job here. I lived here before and did not want to come back.

Old 08-25-2009, 06:33 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,790,679 times
I have a chronic pain condition and the winters are brutal on my pain level so why I came to FL though I lived in Ca previously

Old 08-25-2009, 06:41 AM

9,295 posts, read 14,184,455 times
Year-round pleasant temperatures are on the top of the list, but that is not enough, as reflected in the poll results so far.

Family history and ties, but family probably first attracted to Florida because of pleasant temperatures.

No income-tax state (not on your list), especially important for the self-employed and those with significant passive income (e.g. many retired people).

Geographical position and time zone: in my particular case this is important, giving Florida the edge over other no income-tax states further west.

Compared to the northeast and California, even property prices and taxes are still competitive.

Even in Texas, property taxes run about 3% of property value, and that one percentage point can make a significant difference when calculating costs compared to Florida at the individual level (though on economies of scale overall for big operations, Texas probably has the edge in many cases: Texas out-competes Florida in energy, as a location for corporate headquarters, as an international trade port, i.e. Houston, and in some areas of agriculture).

(It is probably no coincidence that the country's pre-eminent political family held the governorships of both Texas and Florida.)

And, yes, Florida has the best beaches in mainland USA.

Old 08-25-2009, 07:31 AM

225 posts, read 641,904 times
Parents tried to escape. The entire family moved to Oregon because my mother's father was acting nicely (after abusing her during her childhood). She thought he would finally love her, he promised my father he would go into business together, but in a few weeks Grandpa ruined everything and my family had to go back to Florida where my dad's parents live to start over.

Thirty years later, I hope to finally break out of this state for good.

Old 08-25-2009, 07:32 AM

924 posts, read 2,594,029 times
I moved out at 18 and struggled to get by with the oppressively high cost of living in MD... Now at 21 I can live comfortably in Jacksonville...

Old 08-25-2009, 07:38 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,281,087 times
We moved here for alot of reasons..change of life, dh was offered a fantastic opportunity for work since he was loosing his job in NC, and as a family we had decided we wanted to be here..as it was time for us to move on...Loved florida since we honeymooned 20.5 years ago...Tried to get here back in 99, but things just didnt work out that way...love palm trees, Some of my family is here, Love that its like a Vacation all year round..Love the Weather. We have freinds that live here as well, and it is just a comfortable place for us, my son is at his happiest now in school and he made the HS swim team and my daughter is loving it here as well and has made some great friends too in school...obviously its not all peaches and cream, and it has its good and bad, but the good for us out weighs the issues that other people find they need to leave from....Every place has its good and bad and the bad apples can very well leave instead of complaining all the time...

Old 08-25-2009, 03:14 PM

541 posts, read 1,988,137 times
We moved from MA in 2004. We wanted milder weather in the winter and cheaper real estate. Biggest mistake we ever made. Set us way back. Made lots of friends and had fun but COL is much higher for us and we make SO MUCH less than up north. Trying to move on soon!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: