Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2007, 11:59 AM

10 posts, read 137,192 times

Advertisements

My Hubbby and I am currently in South Florida (Ft. Lauderdale) and to put it nicely - It SUCKS I have been to Naples and I loved it are there jobs there? What about the Jacksonville area? I am from MIchigan so moving back there is not an option due to the economy so I would like to at least move to another part of Florida.
ANY suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2007, 07:08 AM

489 posts, read 2,014,593 times
We used to live in an absolute real paradise in FL after coming down from up north; it was Tampa Bay. It was so wonderful there that we assumed that ALL of Florida was just the same, met some people in dog rescue who we really enjoyed in Fort Myers, and moved down. Prior to that, we seriously considered a move to Jacksonville for some more seasonal changes so we, too, made a choice and chose Fort Myers. We curse the day, friend. Go to Jacksonville or take a good look at St. Petersburg (my first pick!), Largo, Clearwater, any nearby cities, or even South Tampa. We were just there again yesterday (we drive up regularly to decompress from all the madness that comes from residing in SW FL), and it is like day and night : The dark night being Fort Myers. It is not a "slower pace", quieter, or a better quality of life. It has a fraction of the population of so many of the other cities I recommend, at least TWICE if not THREE TIMES the crime (depending on what city you choose away from here), a payscale that resembles at least 20 years ago, and at three times the price tag. Read my posts on the FL Forum, or just do a search on Fort Myers. Do not be deceived. If you're miserable now, please just do yourself a favor and get out of South Florida completely. Wish you the best.

Old 04-29-2007, 02:10 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,446,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cntrygirl in FL View Post
My Hubbby and I am currently in South Florida (Ft. Lauderdale) and to put it nicely - It SUCKS I have been to Naples and I loved it are there jobs there? What about the Jacksonville area? I am from MIchigan so moving back there is not an option due to the economy so I would like to at least move to another part of Florida.
ANY suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks
Friends of mine was recently here to visit me in Jax (their first Jax visit). Their final destination was Ft. Lauderdale, where one of them had lived before.

Their overall impression was that Jax was far more suburban in feel than Ft. Lauderdale. Their visit to Jax was brief, and we visited the more urban parts at night, so that probably had some impact on their verdict.

Old 04-29-2007, 07:28 PM

246 posts, read 1,018,674 times
I live in Cape Coral and love it, lived in Ft. Lauderdale area about 14 years ago. Much nicer and cleaner. Haven't been to Jax much but my daugher and sil are there and he got held up the first week they were there and my daughter doesn't like to go out much. She goes to work, shopping and the beach, she is afraid to wonder out because of the crime and she lives in the good part of Jax.

I have a friend here tho that was transferred from Jax and she said she would go back in a minute.

Old 04-29-2007, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-50 View Post
I live in Cape Coral and love it, lived in Ft. Lauderdale area about 14 years ago. Much nicer and cleaner. Haven't been to Jax much but my daugher and sil are there and he got held up the first week they were there and my daughter doesn't like to go out much. She goes to work, shopping and the beach, she is afraid to wonder out because of the crime and she lives in the good part of Jax.

I have a friend here tho that was transferred from Jax and she said she would go back in a minute.
What happened to your daughter was terrible...I hope she can move past it. I had 2 crimes happen to me (no gun...or at least they didn't show one), but that was when I lived in NYC (and I was able to get the upper hand in one...I was a tough cookie in those days! A bystander helped me in the second.). No problems in Jax and I've been here for appx a decade.

What part of town does she live in? The vast majority of Jax is fine, you just have to keep an eye out like you would in any city.

Old 04-29-2007, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
What happened to your daughter was terrible...I hope she can move past it. I had 2 crimes happen to me (no gun...or at least they didn't show one), but that was when I lived in NYC (and I was able to get the upper hand in one...I was a tough cookie in those days! A bystander helped me in the second.). No problems in Jax and I've been here for appx a decade.

What part of town does she live in? The vast majority of Jax is fine, you just have to keep an eye out like you would in any city.
She lives over by the Olive Garden on Monument, somewhere in that area. She hasn't given it a chance because she doesn't know the area, but she does know the area's to stay out of tho. She is always aware of her surroundings but doesn't feel safe as she was young kids.

Old 04-29-2007, 08:29 PM

2,141 posts, read 6,904,525 times
Quote:

Cape Coral crime is bad, each week its seem to have another murder. It's not what is was a few years ago.
http://www.news-press.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070429/NEWS01/70429029/1002 (broken link)

Old 04-29-2007, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemed View Post
Cape Coral crime is bad, each week its seem to have another murder. It's not what is was a few years ago.
http://www.news-press.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070429/NEWS01/70429029/1002 (broken link)
Third safest large city (100,000 or more) in FL. Crime happens all over the world.

Old 04-29-2007, 10:19 PM

Quote:
She lives over by the Olive Garden on Monument, somewhere in that area. She hasn't given it a chance because she doesn't know the area, but she does know the area's to stay out of tho. She is always aware of her surroundings but doesn't feel safe as she was young kids.
There's an Olive Garden @ Regency on Atlantic Blvd (Regency Mall area)...Monument road runs right nearby - she might be in one of the apartment complexes on Monument. This area isn't bad (some nice apartment/condos there, like the new Kendall Town), but she could move to better spots. She might be better off jumping down to Beach Blvd @ Kernan/Hodges/San Pablo roads- those apartments are in areas that are a little more residential and less "Mall" and she'd still have the same convenience. She'd be a little closer to the St. John's Town Center too, which is never a bad thing !

Old 04-30-2007, 07:18 AM

93 posts, read 284,253 times
Quote:
Third safest large city (100,000 or more) in FL. Crime happens all over the world.
You Must Sell Real Estate in Cape Coral !
The crime here is bad, I love when its raining outside and still someone will say the weather man said its sunny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida