Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 04:12 PM

168 posts, read 424,648 times

Advertisements

I was contacted today to interview for a Physical Education position in a juvenile detention school in Okeechobee, FL. I am going to take the interview, but I have some questions about this area as the areas I wanted to move to were all places with a city (Hillsborough, Palm Beach, Broward, Dade county). Would a single male in his 20's like anything about this area? I researched it and it looks to be pretty much in the middle of nowhere. Also, I guess if it is very country it would be somewhat of a shock to me seeing as I have lived in NJ and now DC (which I hate) and am trying to move to Florida. If all goes well, I will probably take the position because it will at least get me to Florida and then I can worry about getting a better position in one of the counties I want to be once I am down there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2009, 04:20 PM

2,637 posts, read 12,628,093 times
Quote:
Would a single male in his 20's like anything about this area?
Uh, well... do you like to fish?

Old 08-25-2009, 05:17 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,058,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d-fens View Post
I researched it and it looks to be pretty much in the middle of nowhere.
It is in the middle of nowhere. Be patient, it will pay off, don't move there. Moving there is like moving to a small town in Alabama but with alligators.

Old 08-25-2009, 05:25 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,559,257 times
after Okeechobee you will miss DC!

Old 08-25-2009, 05:54 PM

976 posts, read 1,110,978 times
I'd take Okeehobee all day. American, English speaking, friendly....... ahh those were the days, lol.

Old 08-25-2009, 06:09 PM

13,611 posts, read 7,911,419 times
You will like Okeechobee if you like to hunt or fish. Other than that, it is a small country town that is based on cattle ranching and fishing.

Old 08-25-2009, 06:28 PM

168 posts, read 424,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolitazz View Post
It is in the middle of nowhere. Be patient, it will pay off, don't move there. Moving there is like moving to a small town in Alabama but with alligators.
Just wondering what you mean by "it will pay off". I guess my reasoning for not taking it would be that I am about to become certified to teach biology which would open up a lot of job opportunities for me in an area I would rather be. But my reasoning for taking it would be it would get me into the state which some people have told me is all the difference between getting an interview and getting your resume shredded at first site. I'm not meaning any disrespect, but with the economy right now if it pays more in an area with lower cost of living that is in the state I want to be in, I'm wondering if it may be in my best interest to take it.

Old 08-25-2009, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-fens View Post
Just wondering what you mean by "it will pay off". I guess my reasoning for not taking it would be that I am about to become certified to teach biology which would open up a lot of job opportunities for me in an area I would rather be. But my reasoning for taking it would be it would get me into the state which some people have told me is all the difference between getting an interview and getting your resume shredded at first site. I'm not meaning any disrespect, but with the economy right now if it pays more in an area with lower cost of living that is in the state I want to be in, I'm wondering if it may be in my best interest to take it.
Because I agree with MiamiRob, you will not like that town. That place is not for a young person who is used to living in big cities. Just wait, even DC has to be better than Rural Florida. This place is hours from any urban center and the roads are dangerous.

Old 08-25-2009, 08:59 PM

976 posts, read 1,110,978 times
Someone in S FL (of all places) is telling someone from DC (of all places) that the Okeechobee roads are "dangerous?"

Old 08-25-2009, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trusses View Post
Someone in S FL (of all places) is telling someone from DC (of all places) that the Okeechobee roads are "dangerous?"
Yes, but believe it or not, I drive a lot, and many times outside Miami Dade County. This is not about rude drivers, this is serious. This is about fatal accidents. Head on collisions are not uncommon in those type of roads that take you from Okeechobee to the urban centers(fast speeds, no median). After seeing 2 people getting killed in a head on collision in a similar road I avoid those. I wouldn't drive those roads not even once a week. The OP has expressed that he wants to drive to the big cities on a regular basis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida