Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 04:48 AM

5,643 posts, read 9,654,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by markhunt View Post
Yes, there is no denying that fact.

Now the thought behind my statement is that I believe people from extreme high crime depressed cities across this nation, as well as island nations, will continue to come to Florida because this state offers them a better quality of life then where they came from (among other reasons).

However for me personally, I had a much better QOL in CT, and was used to a very different way of life than I have down here. Everyone I know in CT wouldn't live down here if they were paid to. I was warned by them when I did move down here. They all said I would be back. They were right.

Simple as that.
"Nice place to visit, but wouldn't want to live there", but they sympathized since husband was out of work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2009, 05:48 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,632,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
If quality of life is important to you, I'd say you're making the right decision. To me, there's no comparison: New England is a much more civilized place to live in nearly every way. (I grew up in Florida.)
Yes, because we still wear loin cloths and beat on drums down here.

Old 08-31-2009, 05:56 AM

2,414 posts, read 5,399,243 times
Quote:
Yes, there is no denying that fact.

Now the thought behind my statement is that I believe people from extreme high crime depressed cities across this nation, as well as island nations, will continue to come to Florida because this state offers them a better quality of life then where they came from (among other reasons).

However for me personally, I had a much better QOL in CT, and was used to a very different way of life than I have down here. Everyone I know in CT wouldn't live down here if they were paid to. I was warned by them when I did move down here. They all said I would be back. They were right.

Simple as that.
Florida draws some lower income people from the New York metro area but I don't believe it's drawing large numbers of such people from other parts of the country.

Old 08-31-2009, 04:13 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,659,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
Hmm. Touchy.

No, I'm talking about the quality of schools, the crime rates, voter participation rates, etc.. If those things don't matter to someone, then sure, I guess there's no difference between Florida and New England other than the climate.

Old 08-31-2009, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Hmm. Touchy.

No, I'm talking about the quality of schools, the crime rates, voter participation rates, etc.. If those things don't matter to someone, then sure, I guess there's no difference between Florida and New England other than the climate.
Not touchy, I just think that people should be more aware of what they type.

You did call an entire state uncivilized.

Regarding schools. Ranking a whole state, as they usually do is ridiculous. Besides the fact that most people usually misstate Floridas ranking anyway.

The last ranking by a group of educators, not a government group, put Florida up towards the middle of the pack statewise.

The high school my son went to last year down here did not have metal detectors to go through in the morning. The high school I went to up north 30 years ago did. Which sounds like a more civilized area?

Crime rate in my area is minimal. I have had no problems at all. When I lived up north I was shot and stabbed. Which sounds like a more civilized area?

On to voting. In the last presidential election only 10 states had a higher voting eligible population turnout rate than Florida. Higher than NY, NJ, CT, MA, PA, RI, VT etc. I guess you may want to avoid those uncivilized states.

Old 08-31-2009, 05:40 PM

561 posts, read 1,922,540 times
Quote:
Quote:
If quality of life is important to you, I'd say you're making the right decision. To me, there's no comparison: New England is a much more civilized place to live in nearly every way. (I grew up in Florida.)
Quote:
Quote:
Hmm. Touchy.

Quote:
Not touchy, I just think that people should be more aware of what they type.

The high school my son went to last year down here did not have metal detectors to go through in the morning. The high school I went to up north 30 years ago did. Which sounds like a more civilized area?

Crime rate in my area is minimal. I have had no problems at all. When I lived up north I was shot and stabbed. Which sounds like a more civilized area?

On to voting. In the last presidential election only 10 states had a higher voting eligible population turnout rate than Florida. Higher than NY, NJ, CT, MA, PA, RI, VT etc. I guess you may want to avoid those uncivilized states.
In my post I mentioned CT specifically. I'll elaborate further to say the suburbs of CT. Specifically in my case, Avon, CT (where I will be moving to).

AnUnidentifiedMale spoke specifically of New England.

Just out of curiosity, what city\town up north are you speaking of in your comments?

Old 08-31-2009, 05:46 PM

Quote:
In my post I mentioned CT specifically. I'll elaborate further to say the suburbs of CT. Specifically in my case, Avon, CT (where I will be moving to).

AnUnidentifiedMale spoke specifically of New England.

Just out of curiosity, what city\town up north are you speaking of in your comments?
I grew up in The Bronx.

His post was just a ridiculous broad brush attempt to put down Florida.

I have never understood why some think any state can be judged in that way.

Old 08-31-2009, 06:55 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
Quote:

Simple as that.
I went into culture shock when I moved to Florida. Lived in Orlando for awhile and then swFlorida. I'm from the Mass/CT line. Florida is the sort of place that most New Englanders will turn their nose up at. The others are meant to move there and should.

Why did I move down there? Because I had to.

I haven't been to everywhere in Florida but the places I visited or lived in couldn't even remotely hold a candle to New England.

My dad was born in The Bronx. He moved to Melbourne to be near his sister. She died. He married a lovely woman from Long Island and they dearly want to move but now are stuck.

Old 08-31-2009, 07:07 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,892,322 times
Quote:
Hmm. Touchy.

Hey...how do you like Palm Springs?

Old 09-01-2009, 03:05 PM

739 posts, read 1,847,634 times
Our family lived in Wilton, CT for many years. CT is a terrific state in which to live (fab schools). If you have a place to swim in the summer, you'll like it. If you have a place on or near the coast in the summer, you'll love it. Come winter, you won't like it unless you ski, snowshoe, ice skate or have a winter vacation home in Florida. If you like paying high taxes, you'll be in heaven.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida