Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 11:28 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,509,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExNooYawk View Post
We all know that parts of Florida (okay, most of Florida) is very desirable in the Winter. I wonder, though, how you all handle the high heat and humidity during the summer months? Do you go to other places? Batten down the hatches with air conditioning? Sit in the pool or ocean?

Just wonderin'.
Ex Florida it isn't that bad in the summer. As for the humidity ? I don't know how people in New Jersey don't slash their wrists! Heat plus pollution! Try vacationing in Newark during the summer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2009, 11:38 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,472,831 times
While I'm no fan anymore of the heat and humidity...knowing only two months are really bad help.

Just do the outside stuff 1st thing in the morning or after the afternoon rains.

We do the same stuff as we do the other 10 months out of the year just at different times of the day.

Never let yourself be trapped inside because of the weather....ok blizzards and hurricanes might be an exception.

Old 09-01-2009, 02:44 PM

8,882 posts, read 20,251,547 times
Wife/I arrived here this last January and still getting use to the heat/humidity of summer, but living here SURE beats the heck out of driving in "whiteouts"-sliding on ice-needing a snowshovel or snowblower.......like we did living near Denver, CO for 5 1/2 years!
So, what have we done this summer: take our boat out on the St. Johns River on the weekends (9AM), go to Jax Beach (in the morning), watch the PGA Tour - DVD movie or have a nice rest/relax/nap on the weekend afternoons! Boy, it's GREAT being older (early 60's) with no kids and living with no family around! Just do what we want to get/keep cool!

Old 09-01-2009, 03:15 PM

831 posts, read 2,427,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
Ex Florida it isn't that bad in the summer. As for the humidity ? I don't know how people in New Jersey don't slash their wrists! Heat plus pollution! Try vacationing in Newark during the summer!
I don't think I met anyone who "vacationed" in Newark.lol The humidity can be bad in NJ but it does subside. At night it does cool off but here in Florida its just a constant. I was in Miami a couple of weeks ago at least there is a breeze I haven't felt one here in Sarasota unless there is a storm coming.

Old 09-01-2009, 03:44 PM

739 posts, read 1,841,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmccauley View Post
I don't think I met anyone who "vacationed" in Newark.lol The humidity can be bad in NJ but it does subside. At night it does cool off but here in Florida its just a constant. I was in Miami a couple of weeks ago at least there is a breeze I haven't felt one here in Sarasota unless there is a storm coming.
Yeah, I picked up on that Newark thing too, but wasn't going to say anything. Glad you did, though.
Complain all summer, huh? Oh well, I complain all winter here in Oregon; just have to pick my poison.
Here in OR we've had triple-digit temperatures quite a bit this summer. It's dry heat but it's still hot as Hades. The difference is you can sit in the shade and be more comfortable. Shade doesn't matter a whit in humidity.

Old 09-01-2009, 06:24 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,033,362 times
The worst is it doesn't cool off at night. I lived there 10 years and was amazed that you could step outside at night and be dripping with sweat soon after. Many, many nights the low will be in the 80s. No sun! Just moonlight! And humid as heck. You can have it.

Old 09-01-2009, 08:30 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,723,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny Sue View Post
While I'm no fan anymore of the heat and humidity...knowing only two months are really bad help.

Just do the outside stuff 1st thing in the morning or after the afternoon rains.

We do the same stuff as we do the other 10 months out of the year just at different times of the day.

Never let yourself be trapped inside because of the weather....ok blizzards and hurricanes might be an exception.
"2" months? Huh? I lived in O-town for 4 years, it's more like 5.

Old 09-01-2009, 08:32 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,723,341 times
Actually here in Fort "can't wait to get out" Myers it was decent at 7:30 when I dropped my little one off at school. Was it a sign of better weather to come soon, Oh please say it is! It was like 73 and the humidity was really low.

Old 09-01-2009, 08:34 PM

6,615 posts, read 16,490,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExNooYawk View Post
Hahaha, I loved this.

So, no matter where you live be it Maine, Oregon or Florida, there will always be a season where it is just not too pleasant outside. I have to choose between staying in the house from December to April here in Oregon, or May to November in Florida. Waaa.
Guess you've never been to San Diego!

Old 09-01-2009, 09:59 PM

1,978 posts, read 4,388,533 times
Well now wait a minute! In San Diego there's Fire Season!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida