Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 11:37 PM

8 posts, read 17,187 times

Advertisements

My fiancee and I are considering different options for where we might want to start our lives together once we are married. I own a company in Indiana and she is a teacher in Kentucky... we both have easily relocatable jobs and would like to live someplace warmer.

We are trying to decide on a place in the south because we love the hospitality and food. We are considering Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, or maybe even Florida. We need a place that has a solid professional workforce, incredible views, and no snow! We are young and also would like to live someplace with an active and dynamic vibe. Price of living is also important and a place that leans politically right would be better. I also love the beach and water sports.

Any ideas/suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2009, 11:45 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,669,844 times
Sounds like you would like Tampa. There are some nice neighborhoods to the south and southwest of the downtown area with plenty of young professionals and water views. Snow? Probably once every 25 years or so. With that said, Tampa is definitely the "New South." For the "Old South," you have to go to Charleston and Savannah.

Old 08-31-2009, 06:46 AM
TD*

1,695 posts, read 4,141,102 times
politically Tallahassee, votes more liberal, however its the best example of southern charm florida has to offer.

Old 08-31-2009, 08:06 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,128,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TD* View Post
politically Tallahassee, votes more liberal, however its the best example of southern charm florida has to offer.

Tallahassee is only really "liberal" by the standards of the surrounding countryside...I've found it to be pretty moderate. Even when it's not most people here are tolerant out of necessity. The elected officials come and go but us natives have to stay here and get along with each other...and we do.

This is one place where Democrats and Republicans actually get along pretty well. I think someone looking for the kind of place the OP described wouldn't feel too out of place here. It's conservative "enough" for anyone, and liberal enough for others, and everyone usually gets along pretty well in this sort of moderate compromise.

Old 08-31-2009, 08:59 AM

976 posts, read 1,111,576 times
Nothern Florida.

Old 08-31-2009, 10:24 AM

2 posts, read 7,898 times
Tallahassee is not an example of Florida Charm. It is an example of Georgia charm. Northen Florida should be renamed Georgia and Alabama. If anyone wants Florida Charm, move south of Gainesville. That is the REAL Florida.

Old 08-31-2009, 10:52 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,128,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadrone View Post
Tallahassee is not an example of Florida Charm. It is an example of Georgia charm. Northen Florida should be renamed Georgia and Alabama. If anyone wants Florida Charm, move south of Gainesville. That is the REAL Florida.

No, Tallahassee is an example of north Florida charm. It says "Florida" on my driver's license, and just because Southern Florida lost its Southern charm doesn't mean ours has to be imported from Georgia or Alabama.

The Real Florida?

You can keep what used to be Florida south of Gainesville. I'll take Tallahassee over a place like Hudson or Ft. Myers or Miami any time. In fact, I did. I left those strip-mall paved over flat hell holes and came to the Panhandle where the Real Florida still survives.

Old 08-31-2009, 12:54 PM
TD*

1,695 posts, read 4,141,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
No, Tallahassee is an example of north Florida charm. It says "Florida" on my driver's license, and just because Southern Florida lost its Southern charm doesn't mean ours has to be imported from Georgia or Alabama.

The Real Florida?

You can keep what used to be Florida south of Gainesville. I'll take Tallahassee over a place like Hudson or Ft. Myers or Miami any time. In fact, I did. I left those strip-mall paved over flat hell holes and came to the Panhandle where the Real Florida still survives.

Couldnt have said it better myself.

South Florida is a hell hole, everyone that lives here agrees, and tons have moved here from south florida.

Too many people, too hot, too expensive, too much traffic. It all looks the same..

Now, One place I like in south florida, and that is if I was a millionaire would be Naples or the Keys..

Give me a house and a job and im there... otherwise.... No thanks!

Old 08-31-2009, 01:16 PM

976 posts, read 1,111,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadrone View Post
Oh God, here we go... the "real Florida" is apparently the tropical version of NJ I guess.

Old 08-31-2009, 03:52 PM

32 posts, read 238,850 times
ive lived in Gainesville, St. Petersburg and now Orlando, and Central Florida is definitely an area you will want to check out. For the most part, anything north of Interstate 4 will have a southern feel. St. Pete is really a neat small city, more beachy than southern, but its laid back and a great place to live with lots of nightlife. Orlando is great too, there is so much to do here and once you get away from the City center there is a very southern vibe, especially out in Lake County. Its about 45 minutes to the beach. Gainesville is great too, but its very small. Unless you have a job at the University it would be very difficult to live there. St. Augustine is another great small city. Its close to Jacksonville if you need big city amenities. Jacksonville as a whole is not that great, in my opinion, but it is southern...just not in a charming way. Anyways, good luck, Florida is a great place to live, my wife and I are transplants and I don't think we will ever leave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida