Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 03:31 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,739,729 times

Advertisements

Just want to know what people prefer, a sales tax only or sales and property taxes like we have now? Which is better or worse for the economy? I am against the current property tax system like we have now, because it is basically legalized extorsion and unfair. I also think it drains money from the economy and prevents private property ownership.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2007, 05:09 PM

93 posts, read 370,176 times
Absolutely, positively, 100% beyond any shadow of a doubt I would opt for the additional sales tax. If the sales tax went up 2.5% and I spent over 100K per year it still would not equal what I pay in RE taxes. AND, I do not make close to 100K per year. The other part of the equation is that you would be getting a bigger piece of the pie because you would also see increased revenue from the underground economy, everyone who benefits or uses govt services would be paying their share, the wealthy would be paying more for their big boats and motorcars and last but not least the people in the middle, the MAJORITY, the people who always ending up paying for everything would finally get a break!

Old 04-30-2007, 07:03 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,155,464 times
Sales tax sound more prudent that property tax....

Old 04-30-2007, 07:20 PM

774 posts, read 2,380,655 times
I'd go with increased sales tax every time.

Old 04-30-2007, 07:33 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,739,729 times
The best part is that everyone would finally OWN their homes! This is something we have not been able to since the early 20'th century. Also the real estate will not crash, and people like me won't complain any more about high property values. There would also be a huge surge in home improvements and some new construction. No more problems with taxes outpacing income, and in Florida food isn't taxed, and we even have some days free of sales tax, for hurricanes and back to school. Sure government would have to tighten it's belt, but I as a citizen would be willing to kick in for some volunteer work, if our tax burden is lessened. Cut off the flow of money to the leeches and the economy can recover. Also more affordable housing can keep more of our residents here. What would i do if the property tax is eliminated?

1) Organize a block party for my street, barbecue for everyone!

2) Prepare my home for my parents

3) Build a new home for myself up in Hendry county

4) Rebuild my parents home. Let them choose between mine and theirs.

5) Rent out or sell the extra home. Invest the profits.

This all costs money which I would be happy to spend. Who knows what other things I may buy without the burden of property taxes!

With my new home and my parents in a new home of my construction, insurance is no longer an issue. Florida is hot, humid and had hurricanes but eliminating property taxes will make it the #1 state in the union! Why can't the state senate see the benefit in this?

Old 04-30-2007, 10:10 PM

1,683 posts, read 8,209,634 times
Without question - SALES TAX. It is the ONLY equitable way I see of spreading the costs around. Why should people who have been here for years and used services for years pay so little (due to SOH) and new people who haven't been here long enough to use many services yet pay so much! I don't see how ANYONE can think this is fair. There should be a revolt like we haven't seen since the Boston Tea Party!

Old 05-01-2007, 07:16 AM

1,499 posts, read 4,830,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Just want to know what people prefer, a sales tax only or sales and property taxes like we have now? Which is better or worse for the economy? I am against the current property tax system like we have now, because it is basically legalized extorsion and unfair. I also think it drains money from the economy and prevents private property ownership.
I'd take the sales tax. That is the smart way to go, as the tourists will pick up a big chunk of the tab and relieve the people of Florida, who already pay an awful lot to live in this state, a little relief.

Home ownership is an American tradition and the key to the American Dream. Yes, I KNOW Florida hardly feels like part of the USA anymore, but legally it still is. So by having these outrageous property taxes, the state is basically blocking many homeowners of theirright and their desire from owning their own home.

If the legislature fails to agree on a Property Tax reduction plan and they wait until the hurricanes hit in 2007, then the state's middle and lower class will colapse under massivly high insurance rates after the hurricanes. That is IF any insurance company is dumb enough to insure in FL again....

Old 05-01-2007, 07:52 AM
SKB

900 posts, read 3,497,513 times
What assurances would we have for them to remove property taxes for a sales tax increase to only down the road re introduce property taxes again? Or perhaps become like Canada and introduce more sales taxes like the GST tax?

Then we would be stuck with the high sales taxes and property taxes?

I think the longer that they sit on this the better off everyone will be. Let the market correct itself and then the property tax problem will resolve itself.

Old 05-01-2007, 09:23 AM

1,080 posts, read 4,585,482 times
Default Sales Tax

I think the sales tax is the way to go.........then everyone has to spend, no only the people who live here but those who come to visit or come for 6 months out of the year. Of course, the tax is 8.5 or 9%, alot of people may shop on the internet to try and save.

Something has to give......retirees on fixed incomes are being pushed out of the homes that they worked so hard to get, younger families just starting out also are feeling the pinch, when some people only make $8.00 a hr. its hard to get that extra cash in order to have a slice of the american dream.

Old 05-01-2007, 11:00 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,391,510 times
Sales tax is a good idea. IF you live in a big city with commerce. Otherwise, I don't see how towns like "Wakulla" and "Sopchoppy" are exactly going to benefit when there is very little commerce in-town. Especially in the panhandle where people WILL travel to Georgia and Alabama for big ticket items even more than they do so now to save. Or order online.

I wouldn't mind a hybrid lowering of taxes/millage rates and maybe a one cent sales tax increase, though.

You MIGHT be dreaming, however, if you think that you're going to get reduced taxes AND home prices! Florida is not Kansas. We have international and out of state buyers still coming in and expressing interest in our homes at what we consider ridiculous. A $2000/year savings in tax is just $200/more month some people will just roll over to spend on mortgage, and I venture your home prices will go UP if the property tax is eliminated. NO income tax and NO property tax AND $100k homes? Sure. Ok.

How about NO schools and NO police with that slice of no-tax pie?

Same thing as when people dream about "higher interest rates".... sure, you will have lower prices but pay the SAME PRICE for 100k @ 10% as you do for 200k at 5%! Do the math people!! (and no, people will NOT start saving up to buy homes in cash anytime soon!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida