Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you ENJOY the FL 9-month summer?
Yes, I love the massive heat! 129 56.09%
No, I hate the massive heat! 101 43.91%
Voters: 230. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 04:40 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,770,980 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughnwilliams View Post
Checked my thermometer with another one and checked Weather Underground for the current temp-My original one reads 1degree hotter than what W.U. is reporting for my zip code (I know how to Google, too).
I find that those who defend Florida's brutal heat and belittle those who don't appreciate 147 days of 90+ degree temperatures (which we had last year) aren't always upfront about WHY they defend all things Florida. Maybe they've got a dog in the hunt, so to speak. I've lived in Florida a LONG time and have worked hard every day since I was 15. I feel I've earned the right to b*tch about the heat and what I see as Florida's shortcomings. May not do any good, but it makes me feel better.
Anyway, I'll stick to my original readings for the 23rd, +/- a degree.
Some of them just do it to get a rise out of we who do not like it. I think my 16 years here has earned my right to complain about the heat. As you say, it may not do any good, but makes me feel better. Apparently even if it is a medical issue we are still wrong for not liking 100 degree days for months on end. I'm so used to getting put down for it I don't even care anymore, I say whatever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2010, 05:58 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,587,345 times
I started working in the outdoor FL summer heat at the age of 11. Went to school during some hot summer days here in FL with no AC all the way through grade 12. Enjoyed walking the dog out today during the peak heat. My pours got opened up and I sweat out some salt. I don't think the dog noticed the heat either.

Old 06-01-2010, 08:03 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,457,397 times
I have one dog that when its hot and humid like it was this weekend, he will peek his head out the door, but will not go outside. He loved it outside this winter.

Old 06-01-2010, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
I have one dog that when its hot and humid like it was this weekend, he will peek his head out the door, but will not go outside. He loved it outside this winter.
My 2 cats won't go outside on the screened patio for anything when it's like this, they would not come in most of the winter, those 20 degree mornings they wouldn't go out either. They lay in front of the sliding glass door probably thinking the same thing I am....

Old 06-02-2010, 09:41 AM

14 posts, read 70,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA70 View Post
Not down here in SWFL..... April-November.... Sometimes December. So that would be 8-9 months.

Don't even have to do anything to like to sweat, just go outside and stand there, that will do it....
Naw, it takes more than standing around to make me sweat. December? lol I hope you are kidding.

Old 06-02-2010, 10:52 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,836,872 times
On the flip side, my junior cat is very fine-furred and loves nothing more than to go out on the screened porch and plop down to enjoy a nice nap or three in 90+ degree weather. He just never seems to feel as warm as he'd like when we have the AC set to 76F.

Old 06-02-2010, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviantastic View Post
Naw, it takes more than standing around to make me sweat. December? lol I hope you are kidding.
Not kidding at all, I am down in SWFL. It stays hot here longer, and is 6-10 degrees warmer than mid FL up to N FL on average.

Old 06-02-2010, 12:43 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,587,345 times
I hope the FL summer does extend into Dec. All the better for the tomato and strawberry growers.

Old 06-02-2010, 01:42 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,641,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughnwilliams View Post
Checked my thermometer with another one and checked Weather Underground for the current temp-My original one reads 1degree hotter than what W.U. is reporting for my zip code (I know how to Google, too).
I find that those who defend Florida's brutal heat and belittle those who don't appreciate 147 days of 90+ degree temperatures (which we had last year) aren't always upfront about WHY they defend all things Florida. Maybe they've got a dog in the hunt, so to speak. I've lived in Florida a LONG time and have worked hard every day since I was 15. I feel I've earned the right to b*tch about the heat and what I see as Florida's shortcomings. May not do any good, but it makes me feel better.
Anyway, I'll stick to my original readings for the 23rd, +/- a degree.
Well if you are using WU to check your thermometer against and they are off by one degree then it stands to reason that no day really hit 100 last month since the highest on WU was I believe 93 for St.Pete.

I am not defending Florida's weather as there is nothing to defend, it is what it is. What I was doing was pointing out that those that hate the weather always seem to embellish.

You also seem to be implying that I have some reason to pump up Florida but all I am doing is putting some balance to the exaggerations. Don't know how what I am doing could benefit me in any way.

You go ahead ***** all you want and I will just reply when I see inaccuracies posted.

Old 06-02-2010, 01:44 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,641,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA70 View Post
Some of them just do it to get a rise out of we who do not like it. I think my 16 years here has earned my right to complain about the heat. As you say, it may not do any good, but makes me feel better. Apparently even if it is a medical issue we are still wrong for not liking 100 degree days for months on end. I'm so used to getting put down for it I don't even care anymore, I say whatever.
I don't put anyone down, I just question why people stay where they hate things.

***** all you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida