Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 07:30 AM

40 posts, read 226,323 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me about Asthma and allergy problems in Pensacola and Panama City vs. the severity of Asthma and allergies in Houston? My family and I moved to Houston almost a year ago and my daughter and I have been chronicly ill with Asthma and allergies since we got her. I have had 5 sinus infections, numerous bouts of Bronchitis and Pneumonia. My daughter who is only 5 developed both Asthma and allergies here. I don't want to be here anymore as it is certainly not a good quality of life for us. I am tired of us being on so many medicines. My husband seems to have escaped being sick.

I am looking into both the Pensacola area as well as Panama City. I have heard and been told by our Allergist that if you live near the coast allergies seem to lessen. I have also been told that Houston is about as bad a place as you can live as far as allergies and Asthma goes.

If anyone has any thoughts or personal knowledge on this I would appreciate the help. I don't want to move to the wrong place again!! Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2009, 08:50 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,828,258 times
Asthma doesn't seem to be a huge issue in the Panhandle.

But allergies can be pretty significant depending on what you're allergic to. Pine pollen season every spring leaves a lot of people miserable, and there's also a noticable fall ragweed season.

Old 09-14-2009, 09:03 AM

2,269 posts, read 7,331,767 times
Please do lots of research before moving to Pensacola. It consistently ranks at the top of pollution lists.

Air quality, part 1: Hold your breath | pnj.com | Pensacola News Journal

There are several Super Fund sites in Pensacola and plenty of large-scale industrial polluters. Also, air pollution is often imported from other states by the prevailing winds that blow toward the coast.

I'm really not sure why your doctor is suggesting a coastal area for asthma, but I would do a lot more research before you choose Pensacola.

Old 09-14-2009, 10:02 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,453,322 times
Allergies are linked for many people to asthma. Most of Florida has year round allergy and asthma issues. I live in Miami and have allergies almost year round (and we have some great air quality supposibly), I do better during rainy season as the rain keeps the things in the air down. But the rest of the year I have a runny nose and sneezing. I asked the allergist where can I move to that I will not have allergies and she said someplace where its winter all year round, and nothing grows. I am not moving to the north or south pole I told her. She asked me (while she knew what my answer would be) how are your allergies when you go on vacation? I told her I have none usually. She said your right, do you know why you don't have allergy issues when you are on vacation she asked me? I said yes, why? Because its a new place and you haven't developed an allergy to anything in that new place. Ok I said, so then I could move there then, she said well in a few years most likely I would develop an allergy to something there. So the best thing is to learn to deal with the symptoms (taking the meds) while doing the shots to build up the immunity to the allergies.

I remember a lady looking to move to Florida from Arizona. She had moved to Arizona to get away from Allergies someplace else, and her child had worse allergies in Arizona, where many people with allergies move to and she was looking at moving once again. So my point is, learn how to control your allergies, moving doesn't always fix allergies. Make sure you are changing the a/c filter in your house once a month, and make sure its the expensive hepa filter, not the cheepie filters. Get rid of things that trigger your allergies (you should know the list if your allergist did the initial allergy tests). For instance many people with allergies can't live with curtains and carpet, as both are keepers of dust and things. Some people are allergic to dust mites, so they have these soft covers for their mattress and beds that fully keep particles from getting out of the mattress or pillows. So sometimes its looking at your surrounding and changing things first.

Last edited by doggiebus; 09-14-2009 at 02:03 PM..

Old 09-14-2009, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
She asked me (while she knew what my answer would be) how are your allergies when you go on vacation? I told her I have none usually. She said your right, do you know why you don't have allergy issues when you are on vacation she asked me? I said yes, why? Because its a new place and you haven't developed an allergy to anything in that new place.
That must be why we were fine until we were here for about a month. I just hate the fact that I am on a lot of medicines and constantly taking antibiotics. I just had sinus and nasal surgery a month ago and now I have another sinus infection again. The worst part is my 5 year old being on inhaled steroids, nasal spray steroids and 2 other medicines as well. We did head North for 3 weeks for vacation this summer and had no problems at all, just like you on vacation. Thank you.

Old 09-14-2009, 10:16 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,453,322 times
^^^I added a paragraph at the end. Do you guys do the sinus rinse thing, your suppose to do it daily??? That helps...

Old 09-14-2009, 10:16 AM

[quote=AustinTraveler;10749732]Please do lots of research before moving to Pensacola. It consistently ranks at the top of pollution lists.

Air quality, part 1: Hold your breath | pnj.com | Pensacola News Journal

quote]

Wow, that was not what I expected the air quality to be there. My husband went to Air Crew School in Pensacola for the Navy and loved it. We are coming to check out the area in November, but now I have a lot more to think about. Thank you for the link.

Old 09-14-2009, 10:22 AM

Thanks doggiebus. As a matter of fact I do use a nasal irrigation bottle daily to rinse my sinuses. I was doing the neti pot, but my surgeon has me using this instead now. I have only been doing it for 3 weeks, so hopefully it will start to help soon. I also have pollen masks for when I want to go out in the yard and have made modifications inside the house as well. Boy, living in the South sure is different than living in New England. I never in a million years would have thought the environment and weather could be so different and we could be so miserable. Good think the people are nice and we like our neighborhood

Old 04-21-2012, 03:26 AM

1 posts, read 6,703 times
Soap girl, moving is still worth a try. I spent many miserable sick years like you are spending now. Numerous sinus infections and bronchitis, nasal surgery, sinus rinses, 5 years of allergy shots, many maintenance meds with extra meds when sick! This was all in west TN. THEN I moved to panama city beach, living one block from the water. I spent 2 years there and no longer needed any maintenance meds. Only had 1 allergy/sinus thing per year in the spring and it was over quickly. I am moving back there as soon as possible. I think the trick is to be very close to the salt water - more sand and concrete and water - much less grass and trees and weeds. Good Luck to you. I certainly empathize!

Old 04-22-2012, 01:06 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,889,153 times
The Houston and East Texas metro is very similar to the panhandle of Florida, We have oak pollen, pine trees, and wild flowers in Houston just like they have in the panhandle of Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida