Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2009, 12:01 PM

3 posts, read 16,999 times

Advertisements

Hi there... we're looking to rent a place in Florida for a couple months this coming winter (Jan/Feb) for my mom (a senior). She doesn't use a computer, so I'm looking into rentals for her... but, I really don't know Florida (she says she'd like to be on the Gulf side) and general searching for rentals brings up way too many websites.

Does anyone have advice for finding a safe, seniors condo/villa etc, that's handicap accessible? Any advice would be welcomed!!

(p.s. This is my first time using a forum, so apologies if this question has been raised before -- I'm still learning the "in's and out's" of the site).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2009, 12:04 PM

2 posts, read 8,539 times
can i suggest St Petersburg? Safe and easy to get around.

Old 09-17-2009, 01:03 PM

thanks... any suggestions on a good site to find rentals for st. pete's??

Old 09-17-2009, 01:15 PM

3,199 posts, read 7,823,988 times
Last year I did this for the first time for myself but I am under 55 and then again for my mom. It was quite an experience. For myself at that time I wanted 3 months and after searching a lot I ended up using a realtor who found me a place. I made this choice though at the end of Dec which was dumb. For my mom she just wanted a few weeks in March. I found hers on craigslist. Just FYI the places on craigslist are not always as they seem. Some of the places I viewed I could not even tell they were the same as on the web. Also some use sample of a place. Since your mom is over 55 she would be able to get a better deal cause the over 55 which I saw are cheaper but nice. Some places add on a sales tax which is for under 7 month rentals I think but they will not state that so you may want to ask. Are you going to rent this unseen or do you have a friend or family member that can view? Does your mom know anyone here cause I think that would be nice to live near them?

Old 09-17-2009, 01:31 PM

no, doesn't know anyone... so she's open to location. We'll be renting unseen, so i was hoping someone might have been to a place -- or had a family member who had been -- that they could recommend. Using a realtor is a good idea... i didn't realize they'd search for rentals as well. Thanks for the tips!

Old 09-17-2009, 02:47 PM

3,199 posts, read 7,823,988 times
It was not ideal using the realtor cause I have and had issues with them doing follow up but sometimes being out of state it is hard. I just know a few places in Palm Beach County like Delray and Boca area. Not sure if she would be interested in those areas. Both are very heavy with snowbirds and many over 55. If I can help in any way I am here though still new myself. How much are you looking to spend per month? In season prices go up for short term especially.

Old 09-17-2009, 03:09 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,530,555 times
Check out VRBO® is Vacation Rentals By Owner (http://www.vrbo.com - broken link)
It stands for Vacation rentals by owner and it is the top website for these situations.
I use it for my place.
you MAY have a more difficult time, depending where you want her to stay. You are asking for peak season. I have had that time booked for almost a year now, and I give preference to longer stays.

Good luck! Frank.

Old 09-18-2009, 08:22 AM

4,894 posts, read 14,134,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canad-eh View Post
Hi there... we're looking to rent a place in Florida for a couple months this coming winter (Jan/Feb) for my mom (a senior). She doesn't use a computer, so I'm looking into rentals for her... but, I really don't know Florida (she says she'd like to be on the Gulf side) and general searching for rentals brings up way too many websites.

Does anyone have advice for finding a safe, seniors condo/villa etc, that's handicap accessible? Any advice would be welcomed!!

(p.s. This is my first time using a forum, so apologies if this question has been raised before -- I'm still learning the "in's and out's" of the site).
Anna Maria Island is beautiful, relatively safe. You can google it & get information for rentals that way. AMI is a key island on the Gulf of Mexico between St. Pete and Longboat Key.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida