Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 12:19 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,654,825 times

Advertisements

I lived in Boca Raton for 12 years, and I've never met a collective group of people as rude, pushy, argumentative, angry, and shady who severely lack manners, common courtesy, common sense, and core values as the people of Boca. IMO, South Florida, but in particular Boca, is home to, arguably, the lowest quality of people in the entire nation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2014, 12:49 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,119,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
I lived in Boca Raton for 12 years, and I've never met a collective group of people as rude, pushy, argumentative, angry, and shady who severely lack manners, common courtesy, common sense, and core values as the people of Boca. IMO, South Florida, but in particular Boca, is home to, arguably, the lowest quality of people in the entire nation.
You were just out of your league.

Old 07-06-2014, 01:36 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,654,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
You were just out of your league.
Haha, yeah, right! I'm a consultant with a master's degree who drives a Range Rover--most people in South Florida were "out of my league."

Don't get it twisted.

Old 07-06-2014, 02:07 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,250,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forty six & two View Post
I'm from the Boston area, a college student, who wanted to escape the winter and snow. I left everything behind to start over new at Florida Atlantic University. I'm soon finding out how much of a hell this place is.

The weather is great; the people are horrible. Here's a sum of the adjectives I can use to describe all of the people I've met in the Boca area: antisocial, sheltered, snobby, stuck up, shallow, boring, soul-less, unmotivated, withdrawn, unadventurous, unexciting, uninteresting, narrow-minded.

At college up north I lived in the dorms. Everyone knew each other, everyone hung out with each other, and everyone was friends and actually did things. I had a million friends.

But I was suffering from seasonal affective disorder. I had to get away from winter. So I came to FAU at the end of August to live in the dorms.

Everyone is segregated by race it seems. Sheltered and narrow-minded. Blacks hang out with blacks and whites hang out with whites.

Everyone seems to hang out with that one person they meet because they're either too anxiety prone or unmotivated to meet new people. Everyone stays in their room and form almost an unbreakable social barrier around themselves. They might seem nice, but it's superficial. They don't want to hang out or meet new people, they stick with what they know. No one seems to have substance or a personality. It's like I'm surrounded by mindless, soulless zombies, like I'm playing "The Sims."

I know a bunch of people are going to come and tell me to work hard, go out and make it happen blah blah blah. I have been. I've met literally two friends since Ive been here, and our bonds aren't even strong. I've been here an entire month and have never been more lonely in my life.

My opinion: the only good thing about Florida is the sunny, warm weather. Nothing else.

Am I missing something?
I think you are generalizing and disillusioned because this particular school does not meet your expectations. Your story reminds me of my brother. We grew up in CT then moved to FL. After school, my brother went to Boston University. He hated it because he said the students were a bunch of soulless spoiled brats who acted like immature children. Maybe this is about your specific school environment, and perhaps it is not right for you? Ironic though.

I did the opposite and transferred from USF to UConn because USF was like one big party with nobody caring about academics. Was much happier at UConn, though it was freezing. Now I live in FL again and like it here. It is all a matter of what you want and what is important to you. No one place is right for everyone during all times of their life. It amazes me when the people on the forum speak as if everyone wants exactly the same things and everyone should want what they want. It is very subjective and perhaps you would be happier if you picked a school for other reasons than location.

Old 07-06-2014, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Haha, yeah, right! I'm a consultant with a master's degree who drives a Range Rover--most people in South Florida were "out of my league."

Don't get it twisted.
Do you think that being a consultant with a master's degree who drives a Range Rover makes you a good or better person?

Old 07-06-2014, 02:47 PM

3 posts, read 3,909 times
Quote:

Don't get it twisted.
You are a whiney douche bag who thinks they are someone because of a degree and the car they drive. You should be taken out back and shot, the world would be a better place.

Old 07-06-2014, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stopbeinganahole View Post
You are a whiney douche bag who thinks they are someone because of a degree and the car they drive. You should be taken out back and shot, the world would be a better place.
I like your thinking. People like that are usually very shallow and have no self respect.

Old 07-06-2014, 03:45 PM

2,962 posts, read 4,995,939 times
Quote:

Don't get it twisted.
Which proves that education has nothing to do with common sense...

Old 07-06-2014, 03:49 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,391,510 times
Quote:
LMAO. And you're a "consultant," huh?

Honestly dude, you appear to have stared into the abyss waaaaay too long. It's looking right back at you!

Old 07-06-2014, 05:43 PM

14,928 posts, read 12,126,747 times
Quote:
Might shock the heck out of you to know that I agree, at least in part, with your assessment of people who live in Boca Raton. Not everyone who lives there is rude and pushy, I've met some of the nicest folks anywhere who worked in Boca Raton, but there is a mentality that IMO is pervasive almost anywhere I know I've ever been there. It seems to come mostly from wealthy retirees who relocated there from the northeast, and they bring with them an overgrown sense of entitlement that makes them demanding, inconsiderate and rude- even to each other, from what I can see.

If you lived in Boca Raton for that long, and never saw much or any of the rest of Florida, I could understand why you don't like Florida. I'd rather shoot myself than live in Boca Raton, personally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida