Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 07:15 AM

3,417 posts, read 7,785,389 times

Advertisements

To the OP-

I transferred as a junior from a CC in the suburbs of Philly to FAU. I lived in the dorms. This was a long time ago-1981.

It is a culture shock. The biggest surprise was you could actually buy beer in the supermarket, 7-11 and on campus! PA has strict alcohol laws that prohibit that-I grew up in a dry town.

Everyone there is from somewhere else and doesn't have roots in the community like you are used to. This is just all part of the dynamics of a new and different environment.

You have gotten good advice here. I would stick out the semester or year and then if it is not for you then fine. You gave it a chance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2009, 10:15 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,126,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trusses View Post
Aint that the truth... it's anything but... that's part of the problem right there!
I had my choice of state colleges to attend back in the day. After visiting several I chose FSU based mainly on how nice all the people were. I wasn't disappointed.

Old 09-23-2009, 08:18 AM

2,168 posts, read 5,051,693 times
Quote:
I know, lol. There are some wealthy people there, but it's not like it's "exclusive" or whatever so many of them think it is, lol. Most people dont really care about Boca Raton (the mouth of the rat, lol) but for some reason it's residents (especially the last 5-10 years) have this uppity/snobbish/better than you way about them, not sure why. There are millionaires 10 times over in the mountains of Western NC, but you dont see anyone acting like that. They dont have to. some folks have to act like they are better than others, have more money, have to drive nicer cars than others (status symbol) and many of those people in Boca Raton (I know for a fact) make less than my wife and I make. And some of the retirees from NY have a lot of money in Boca Raton. Ask them to spare a dollar for the local public school system and see what kind of response you get...
I agree with you on many of these points Trusses, especially that it is not exclusive at all. There are tons of middle class there and lower in Boca. There are also stupid rich people too of course. However I would say that 'people don't really care about Boca Raton' is not true, because somehow Boca is well-known enough now to have this stigma attached to it. I grew up in Boca, and now every time I mention where I am from...no matter where I go...I get this "ooooh, well alrighty then" look or response. It's pretty ridiculous.

As for the OP, FAU is just not going to give you that social vibe that you will get in a school like UF, FSU, UCF, or USF. It used to be a commuter school and has grown a lot over the years, but from what I remember it is just not like that there. Maybe things have drastically changed, I don't know, but based on what the OP said that is what I would have expected from FAU. I don't think it is a knock on Florida on the whole because I know those other schools have very social dorms and tons of nice students like any other state.

Old 09-23-2009, 08:35 AM

1 posts, read 1,734 times
Default Girl on the move

I have moved times and I am gonna be 14 soon. I was BOrn in Boaz, AL me and my mom moved from there to Crossvile, to Fyffe, Ider, Rainsville, Fort Payne, then back to Ider, then back to RAinsville, then Decatur, Albertville, Gadsden, Birmingham, ALbertville, BIrmingham, and Albertville.
Even though all these places are in Alabama It is still hard to get back to school with absolutely no friends and when I went back to the same school My friends had already moved on and I wasn't Excepted in there "group".
I have lived in one place in one house since August 1st 2008 and I am very happy.

Old 09-23-2009, 10:04 AM

If you do leave, make sure you get your fill of Flakowitz bagels and Augy's pizza before you go.

Old 09-23-2009, 02:17 PM

976 posts, read 1,110,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete C View Post
I agree with you on many of these points Trusses, especially that it is not exclusive at all. There are tons of middle class there and lower in Boca. There are also stupid rich people too of course. However I would say that 'people don't really care about Boca Raton' is not true, because somehow Boca is well-known enough now to have this stigma attached to it. I grew up in Boca, and now every time I mention where I am from...no matter where I go...I get this "ooooh, well alrighty then" look or response. It's pretty ridiculous.

As for the OP, FAU is just not going to give you that social vibe that you will get in a school like UF, FSU, UCF, or USF. It used to be a commuter school and has grown a lot over the years, but from what I remember it is just not like that there. Maybe things have drastically changed, I don't know, but based on what the OP said that is what I would have expected from FAU. I don't think it is a knock on Florida on the whole because I know those other schools have very social dorms and tons of nice students like any other state.
It's called perception. People all over the US (many, not all) think of Miami is this lavish paradise where people sip strawberry daiquiries all day. It's what tv and some songs try to insinuate it's like there, but we all know, it's FAR from what is portrayed on tv and in movies.

Old 09-23-2009, 02:25 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,892,322 times
Quote:
(especially the last 5-10 years)
lol.

Old 09-23-2009, 02:27 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,892,322 times
Quote:
It's called perception. People all over the US (many, not all) think of Miami is this lavish paradise where people sip strawberry daiquiries all day. It's what tv and some songs try to insinuate it's like there, but we all know, it's FAR from what is portrayed on tv and in movies.
lol. You are right, it is called perception.

Old 09-23-2009, 03:03 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,654,155 times
I have never in my entire life thought of Miami, actually anywhere in Florida, as any "lavish paradise" ever in my entire life.

I used to PITY people who lived here, especially after I moved back North in 1971. I suppose the joke on me right now.

Old 09-23-2009, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
I have never in my entire life thought of Miami, actually anywhere in Florida, as any "lavish paradise" ever in my entire life.

I used to PITY people who lived here, especially after I moved back North in 1971. I suppose the joke on me right now.
Before you ever went there? Well you are in the minority there then. Most people around the country...hell the world thinks of Miami in a good light...paradise even. They don't know what lies a few miles off the coast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida