Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 07:20 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,744,304 times

Advertisements

Pray for rain

Pray for rain

Maybe we will get a HURRICANE!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2007, 09:01 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,207,686 times
I've heard that they believe some of the fires had been set intentionally. what kind of sicko would do that?

Jax was horrible yesterday, visibility poor. Not as bad today, but I still have burning eyes and stuffy nose. I feel sorry for folks who live closer to the fires and those with respiratory problems- they must really be suffering.

Our secondary lake is noticably low. It's going to be a long summer and, I fear, get much worse.

Wouldn't it be nice to get one of those slow-blowing, wet hurricanes at the start of the season? No real damage, just lots of rain for days and days. Never thought I would WISH for a hurricane.

Old 05-05-2007, 11:48 AM

1,775 posts, read 8,097,975 times
[quote=MrTudo;671139]

Therefore you need to learn how to earn more or get used to having zero equity.

QUOTE]

Well the point was that i was doing alright until i had to cut my rates just to keep my job as i was threatened to have my work be sent out of country. How am i supposed to earn more when i have to cut back just to keep my job going. I can't work anymore hours in a day that i am.

Old 05-05-2007, 11:52 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,454,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Pray for rain

Pray for rain

Maybe we will get a HURRICANE!
The weather dude, said it yesterday, that it will take a few tropical systems (not a full hurricane, something lesser) over a few week period one after another to fix this issue. Because we average about 40 some inches a year of rainfall in the state, but we need like 60 some inches to fix the lake issue.

Old 05-05-2007, 12:48 PM

78,366 posts, read 60,556,941 times
It's competition, pure and simple....and you can blame whomever you choose but the real fact of the matter is that the American consumer buys on PRICE.
(I've seen the enemy and the enemy is us)
The Walmarts of America do not force people in there at gunpoint.

There are many good high paying jobs in the United States but most people don't study in those fields FORCING companies to go out and bring in people from other countries to do them. If you want to have your kid do really really well teach them math and science, I work as an actuary and 1/2 the students we interview are foreign born.

Lastly, if you work a job that can be taught to someone of reasonable intelligence in a month or less....you are always going to be under wage pressure.

Old 05-05-2007, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post

Lastly, if you work a job that can be taught to someone of reasonable intelligence in a month or less....you are always going to be under wage pressure.
Well it doesn't help when half the doctors in the U.S. are from another county and they feed the work back to their home. I've got 2 years as a medical assistant and medical transcrition is not something just anybody can learn in a month at least the terminology aspect of it and still get the job done at the same time.

Old 05-06-2007, 01:46 PM

78,366 posts, read 60,556,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellefort View Post
Well it doesn't help when half the doctors in the U.S. are from another county and they feed the work back to their home. I've got 2 years as a medical assistant and medical transcrition is not something just anybody can learn in a month at least the terminology aspect of it and still get the job done at the same time.
I agree, and you hit on an important point.

There was\is a lot of pressure on stock companies to *outsource* as it's the trendy thing to do for a CEO to look like he's earning his pay. Also, some companies just see the obvious savings upfront without realizing the downside(s).

A number of companies have off-shored only to have it turn into a big mess and then brought the jobs back here after suffering through crappy quality and other issues.

I worked for a subsidiary of GE for a while (in insurance no less) and they off-shored a bunch of stuff....maybe 15% of it worked well and the rest was a disaster. Also, they lost their employees super fast as wages rose in India.

Old 05-06-2007, 02:01 PM

well also i work in the same time zone as my providers. if they need a report ASAP all they have to do is call and it's typed in 10 minutes. can't do that when your time zones are so off balance. Like you said though, it boils down to the quality of work rather than the prices. You get what you pay for.

Hey we got some rain yesterday and today. Not much but it watered the lawns anyway. I live right on the edge of where the seabreezes meet on the west coast so we got a couple heavy downpours but it was over just in a matter of a couple minutes.

Old 05-06-2007, 03:58 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,157,785 times
I'm in Miami. I heard with had a storm coming YESTERDAY. I heard the same thing today. Both days have been hot, sunny, steamy, no breeze.

You want to hear something else? They are breaking up all our streets here to do new drainage. There are mountains of gravel, dirt, sand, pipes, cement cylinders and the roads are disgusting and we can't wash the cars!!!!! People don't know they're tearing up my streets and it's embarrassing to take my car on the road :-( but what can you do.

We've been using bottled water for the windshield!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: