Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 11:56 PM

288 posts, read 543,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
Absolutely. Thread is useless as information. Just another gripe session.
So you have made 81 thousand posts in one year and none of your posts express an opinion? All of your 180 posts per day are very helpful and full of useful information and well documented? LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2009, 02:30 AM

1,468 posts, read 4,749,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by passerby2009 View Post
Mango--started a new thread because the 1st one was closed and I wanted to respond. I happen to think the social climate of a place could provide perspective on how one might "fit in". Choosing not to participate in sports-related social situations (for mere lack of interest) lends itself to a decent bit of ostracism from people who live, eat, breathe that type of activity. If you don't want to partake of this activity on a regular basis, this place might not be good fit.

I've been in the company of people who have made racist remarks, with no regard to the audience and then backpedal when they realized their "indiscretion". If you don't enjoy stereotypical labeling on a regular basis, this place might not be a good fit. Point taken that this is specific to people, but they are people who make Gainesville their home.

I was at a fair downtown and someone came over to me to tell me about her church. She invited me to visit, which I indicated I'd think about it. This woman then proceeded to ask me if I would accept Jesus Christ as my lord and savior, to which I politely declined. She began to harass me and tell me I was going to hell and I got away from her as quickly as possible. Since that's never happened to me before, that's an experience I will forever associate with this town. When people ask to which church I belong and I indicate none, there's immediate suspicion in the midst. I find that mindset claustrophobic.
You can't judge the town based on having met the "Village idiot". Having said that if you really get those feeling, regardless if real or imagined, it may not be the place for you. Gainesville is not really that small, it has over a 100,000 people. I would not call it a small southern town or backwards. I doubt the attitudes you will find there are much different then what you find most places. A few isolated instances don't really define a place. It may define the company you have been keeping, you may need a different circle of friends. I can go to a few redneck bars and hear that kind of stuff any time. That is just the way it is.

Life can often be explained by a famous Henny Youngman joke.

A man goes to a doctor and says, "Doc, every time I do this with my arm it hurts".
The doctor says, "Don't do that".

Old 09-25-2009, 12:56 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,520,192 times
Why is it breaking news Gainesville has a lot of churches? It's a college town!

Gainesville is one of the more progressive and liberal cities you will find in FL. There are things to dislike about it but the two reasons given based on two interactions are rather foolish. That is quite a small sample size. I might also suggest you might be hanging around in the wrong "company".

The fact this had to be posted again for really no reason seems to insinuate the poster has some agenda to push. Gainesville is a place for families and college kids. I'm not sure why anyone would ever think it's a good place for someone who is young and single.

Old 09-25-2009, 01:28 PM

14 posts, read 30,808 times
Gainesville is southern, with churches everywhere... OK, say go elsewhere.

Old 10-10-2009, 05:35 PM

20 posts, read 56,391 times
Please avoid the stereotypes; there are many people who are "educated, smart, successful, ambitious, and attractive" who have a large family of animals - cats included. They are wonderful creatures. That said, I wish you good fortune finding your perfect place to work and like-minded people to date.

Old 10-10-2009, 07:18 PM

485 posts, read 1,703,826 times
Wow, I can't relate to this post at all. I have lived in Miami, Los Angeles and Gainesville. I find Gainesville to be a very progressive town/city and haven't encountered any racism - it would disgust me if I did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida