Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 05:41 AM

28 posts, read 117,202 times

Advertisements

I just want to place a little warning here so that people don't make the mistake that both my husband and I (separately -- we didn't know each other at the time) did :

I have a master's degree and my husband has a bachelor's. Both of us have years of experience in our fields. If you're coming from up north (or perhaps anywhere else), expect a pay cut easily of 40 - 50%. That's fine, you might say (as I did): Nice weather, cost of living is not bad. Beautiful scenery. (Little culture, no good shopping, lacking a variety of ethnic restaurants, podunk.) But then you come to realize that it's the good ole boy network working down here. If you did not grow up in the area or if you are not part of a small pool of business people and educators, or if you're not plain wealthy, the glass ceiling is very low, and you will have to duck your head to walk around down here. If you are a minority, things will be even worse.

It's an "I scratch your back, you scratch mine" mentality (which, I realize, probably happens everywhere to an extent, but in a small town it is much more blatant). I have seen people with much less education and experience than I have rapidly move up the ladder (or not even climb the rungs...they sort of floated up there). Time after time, I see it is either because their "fambly" knew someone else's "fambly," a favor was owed, or the person wasn't squealing on unethical happenings.

Then let's discuss the work ethic down here. There is a saying I have heard repeated: "If you screw up, you move up." I have never seen anything like it. It's the norm for people to wander into work late, leave early, step out for hair appointments and massages in the afternoon, sleep on the job (yes, I said SLEEP), take every single sick day they have when they aren't sick, and spend time at their desks taking care of other matters in their lives half the day (like, for example, DESIGNING A HOUSE). I am sure this sounds appealing to many people. If it does to you, go for it. For the rest of us, it is incredibly frustrating to observe this behavior being constantly rewarded around here in Podunk-ville while in so many cases hard-working people and their efforts get ignored. It is a bizarre mentality.

Then you've got the mentality (one of my favorites) that, "Since I'm in a supervisory or management position, that means I am supposed to be mean and rude to other people." I have seen this frequently: People actually think that proving their importance means they have to be rude and nasty.

People lie and break the rules without a thought. Be careful of job interviews where they promise you anything. Get it all in writing (you won't -- they'll back off).

I'm going on my 10th year here. I am making less than I was making 10 years ago up north. I am leaving after the new year and neither my husband nor I are looking back.

If you are lazy, if you prefer to manipulate rather than work hard and be responsible and ethical, or if you are in a non-professional field, all the power to you here. If you are a professional person with no contacts here or no family members in a local business, or if you are not in a position to buy someone, avoid Podunk Town. It's awful.

In the 10 years I have been here, I have had at least 6 of my friends leave here -- I mean hightail it out of here. They get where they are going, they turn around, and they ask, "What are you still doing THERE?!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2009, 09:36 PM

501 posts, read 1,882,019 times
Cool Huh?

Wow, that's definitely bitter & twisted!

Sounds like you worked for the County School system, which to me is full of incompetent hillbillies (as pretty much the same for the ENTIRE STATE) and doesn't reflect businesses in Daytona Beach.

While sure, the level of professionalism in Central Florida in general can be sobering at times, I don't see the area holding a monopoly on it. It sounds more like you had a harder time of letting go of how things were done "up there."

I know a lot of local professionals who are very happy in their jobs, and some who are not. It all depends on the employer, but I also hear similar stories from my friends around the world at the moment, so I don't see it being far too different. I also see the "world of work" has changed dramatically over the past decade.

Here is a link to a great C-D thread on the subject of office politics (about being "up there"):
//www.city-data.com/forum/work-...ring-exit.html

What I'm surprised about is that with your education and living in the area for 10 years that you never figured out that most people who "make it" here go out on their own and start a new business. Daytona Beach has some of the best incentives in the USA right now to do so.

If you purchase a commercial property in a depressed area (which would be cheaper than paying rent), you'd get even more incentives for fixing it up and low interest mortgage rates on TOP of everything else!
http://www.ci.daytona-beach.fl.us/cityhall/redev/redev_CRA_plans.htm (broken link)
The Federally Designated Targeted Areas (for special Mortgage Program Rates through your bank) are identified as: 815, 819, 820 and 821. To view a map to locate these neighborhoods, go to the U.S. Census Bureau’s website.

If your business collects state Sales Tax, well then there are about a dozen more incentives if you own in the Enterprise Zone.
http://www.floridaenterprisezones.com/PageView.asp?PageType=R&edit_id=1 (broken link)

To me, all of these incentives reduce the risks of a business start-up in your favor, even in this economy. I know people who've taken advantage of them and are now running with it and expanding. They're not getting rich yet, but definitely have hope for a better future for their families, as over time they will prosper (but enjoy their freedom of being their own boss).

Furthermore, since this is a "small town" mentality and you provide goods or services "head & shoulders" above what's presently available locally, the "word-of-mouth" factor will get lines out your door SEEKING your business. (Which as you state based on the level of professionalism available in the area, should be pretty easy! )

I don't think you'll find the grass much greener "up there!" (except maybe the starting pay)

Will be thinking of you as I ride my bike on the beach in Daytona this winter.

Last edited by daytonadewd; 10-13-2009 at 10:18 PM..

Old 10-13-2009, 09:50 PM

1,340 posts, read 2,803,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzNScout View Post
I just want to place a little warning here so that people don't make the mistake that both my husband and I (separately -- we didn't know each other at the time) did :

I have a master's degree and my husband has a bachelor's. Both of us have years of experience in our fields. If you're coming from up north (or perhaps anywhere else), expect a pay cut easily of 40 - 50%. That's fine, you might say (as I did): Nice weather, cost of living is not bad. Beautiful scenery. (Little culture, no good shopping, lacking a variety of ethnic restaurants, podunk.) But then you come to realize that it's the good ole boy network working down here. If you did not grow up in the area or if you are not part of a small pool of business people and educators, or if you're not plain wealthy, the glass ceiling is very low, and you will have to duck your head to walk around down here. If you are a minority, things will be even worse.

It's an "I scratch your back, you scratch mine" mentality (which, I realize, probably happens everywhere to an extent, but in a small town it is much more blatant). I have seen people with much less education and experience than I have rapidly move up the ladder (or not even climb the rungs...they sort of floated up there). Time after time, I see it is either because their "fambly" knew someone else's "fambly," a favor was owed, or the person wasn't squealing on unethical happenings.

Then let's discuss the work ethic down here. There is a saying I have heard repeated: "If you screw up, you move up." I have never seen anything like it. It's the norm for people to wander into work late, leave early, step out for hair appointments and massages in the afternoon, sleep on the job (yes, I said SLEEP), take every single sick day they have when they aren't sick, and spend time at their desks taking care of other matters in their lives half the day (like, for example, DESIGNING A HOUSE). I am sure this sounds appealing to many people. If it does to you, go for it. For the rest of us, it is incredibly frustrating to observe this behavior being constantly rewarded around here in Podunk-ville while in so many cases hard-working people and their efforts get ignored. It is a bizarre mentality.

Then you've got the mentality (one of my favorites) that, "Since I'm in a supervisory or management position, that means I am supposed to be mean and rude to other people." I have seen this frequently: People actually think that proving their importance means they have to be rude and nasty.

People lie and break the rules without a thought. Be careful of job interviews where they promise you anything. Get it all in writing (you won't -- they'll back off).

I'm going on my 10th year here. I am making less than I was making 10 years ago up north. I am leaving after the new year and neither my husband nor I are looking back.

If you are lazy, if you prefer to manipulate rather than work hard and be responsible and ethical, or if you are in a non-professional field, all the power to you here. If you are a professional person with no contacts here or no family members in a local business, or if you are not in a position to buy someone, avoid Podunk Town. It's awful.

In the 10 years I have been here, I have had at least 6 of my friends leave here -- I mean hightail it out of here. They get where they are going, they turn around, and they ask, "What are you still doing THERE?!"
The word "professional" is used very loosely(incorrectly) for a start, only a few things are actually professions.

That aside, nearly all americans assume this is one country but its actually more like 4-5 loosely stiched together ones in reality.

Small town south is more different than say, New Jersey, than Spain is from Scotland.
Small town everywhere is ruled thru good,ol-boyism.This is not news.

Old 11-14-2009, 10:54 AM

24 posts, read 72,799 times
I am a born & raised New Yorker and a professional who has been out of work for over 1-1/2yrs!! I have taken retail jobs just to keep me moving but am shocked at what the salaries have become. Good luck coming back here & finding anything decent...it's not happening. As far as Florida is concerned, I have wanted to move there for many a year but was deterred by the cut in pay (altho there is no income tax as I hear?) but nowadays the salaries will be about the same in NY as in Fla...and depending on where u live in Fla, the taxes & insurance on a home are a heck of alot less than the $12,000/yr that I pay here (with no mortgage, mind you!!) So I would definitely be wary...before making the trek back up north.

Old 11-14-2009, 10:58 AM

3,769 posts, read 8,798,496 times
Florida is a difficult place to pursue certain careers - particularly with large corporations. What you describe is prevalent both within and outside of Florida, but I understand your frustration. Get out as soon as you can and good luck on your new adventure.

Old 11-14-2009, 01:56 PM

776 posts, read 1,672,618 times
Daytona is not any different from any smaller town in Florida. You really need to stick with the big four metro areas.. Actually the county has several good private universities but few graduates end up staying..

Old 11-14-2009, 02:08 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,630,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linn310 View Post
I am a born & raised New Yorker and a professional who has been out of work for over 1-1/2yrs!! I have taken retail jobs just to keep me moving but am shocked at what the salaries have become. Good luck coming back here & finding anything decent...it's not happening. As far as Florida is concerned, I have wanted to move there for many a year but was deterred by the cut in pay (altho there is no income tax as I hear?) but nowadays the salaries will be about the same in NY as in Fla...and depending on where u live in Fla, the taxes & insurance on a home are a heck of alot less than the $12,000/yr that I pay here (with no mortgage, mind you!!) So I would definitely be wary...before making the trek back up north.

I don't know where you got the idea that the salaries are the same in Florida as NY, not even close.

My niece is making 64k a year as a school teacher in suburban NYC after 12 yrs of teaching.

She would be hard presssed to make 40K down here.

That is just one example.

FL is still at the bottom of the pay scale compared to most states, that also goes for nurses and those in law enforcement.

Old 11-14-2009, 04:32 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,365,426 times
Why would a professional of any kind want to live in Daytona? Vroom Vroom

Florida is very compartmentalized. There are areas for scholastic types, there are areas for medical types, we've got sleazy areas, and we've got slick city areas. We're also overrun with retirement areas. But Daytona??? It's a pee-in-the-street type area.

Old 11-14-2009, 05:35 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,529,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
I don't know where you got the idea that the salaries are the same in Florida as NY, not even close.

My niece is making 64k a year as a school teacher in suburban NYC after 12 yrs of teaching.

She would be hard presssed to make 40K down here.

That is just one example.

FL is still at the bottom of the pay scale compared to most states, that also goes for nurses and those in law enforcement.
NYC costs much more to live in tho.

Old 03-12-2011, 11:18 AM

1 posts, read 1,918 times
If you are under retirement age and have anything educationally going for you...Florida is not where you
want to be. Put on a bigger coat and deal with it!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida